The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

no one near me will be showing mesrine! typical

hopefully m hill odeon will show hurt locker at the end of the month looks brilliant, and anyone for who that is their local, check out french film the class showing there on tuesday night

my film of choice for tonight is mystic river, never seen it before so gonna see what the fuss was about

my film of choice for tonight is mystic river, never seen it before so gonna see what the fuss was about

You are in for a treat. An acting masterclass from Sean Penn, cracking script and superb direction.

I shall be watching part one of Mesrine tomorrow night. Can't wait, It's supposed to be fantastic.

Is that the thing with Vincent Cassel in it?

Aye, thats the one Scott.

I shall be watching part one of Mesrine tomorrow night. Can't wait, It's supposed to be fantastic.

He's always watchable. Hope it's a good film, the review are a little lukewarm. I await your verdict!

He's always watchable. Hope it's a good film, the review are a little lukewarm. I await your verdict!

If you like gangster movies, you'll really enjoy it.

And it's a true story.

It's only part 1, the second part is out on the 28th August.

Cassell is class in it.

edit: Spelling

Enjoyed the Watchmen - well shot and passed by pretty quickly for 2hrs 45mins!!!!

I'll recommend The Orphanage and The Mist but not for those who like Hollywood endings!

The Mist is interesting and with a good ending but is not the greatest film acting and story wise.

The Orphanage was excellent, found it really really creepy and although the end isnt Hollywood it actually rounded the story off brilliantly.

Now i've signed up to lovefilm again i've been catching up on films that i missed first time around for one reason or another...

Tropic Thunder - 6/10 - Starts off funny and the concept of some of the characters is great but the script is piss poor and it just trails off.

Dont mess with the Zohan - 7 - Erm, its a weird film with a lot of jokes that miss and a plot i think was meant to heal the rift between Israel and Palestine :shock: But the jokes that do hit are hilarious...watching Zohan butterfly after a jetski had me crying. It's the movie that Bruno probably should have been.

Juno - 9 - One of those slow paced subtle films that just leaves you feeling good about life. Very well acted, very real feel to the characters and a few things to think about. I also thought her dad was hilarious.

The Orphanage - 9 - As per my post above...very creepy but a really intruiging story that is very well finished.

Hancock - 8 - I really enjoyed this despite it getting bad reviews. I liked how the twist built up in it and imo it turned the film from something predictableand formulaic into something more interesting. Valid criticism stands over the lack of character development of the bad guys though.

Currently have Taken, Step Brothers and La Haine to watch. God knows how i've missed La Haine til now, its been on my list for years.

uno - 9 - One of those slow paced subtle films that just leaves you feeling good about life. Very well acted, very real feel to the characters and a few things to think about. I also thought her dad was hilarious.

Agreed, I love that film and JK Simmons is his typical brilliance.

Watched a couple of enjoyable, family films recently.

Whale Rider and Skellig. Both ave that inevitability of the positive outcome, being a family film done, but they're terrific, cast wise and the way they're done for keeping cheese down to as few a moments as possible.

Let The Right One In is now out on DVD/Blu Ray.

Easily my favourite movie of the year so far and highly recommended...

lettherightone.jpg

Im with this, fantastic film!

A haunting, yet warm fairy tale!

Can't handle horror films, I'm a girl.

Odd thing is, stuff like murderers and nutters don't scare me that much, I watched both versions of chain saw massacre and was ok. It's stuff that isn't real that gets in my head, vampires, monsters, ghosty things, that girl from the ring dafsfrggnua I'm shuddering writing this. I think they are going to appear in dark corners...I'm a bit backward.

Can't handle horror films, I'm a girl.

Odd thing is, stuff like murderers and nutters don't scare me that much, I watched both versions of chain saw massacre and was ok. It's stuff that isn't real that gets in my head, vampires, monsters, ghosty things, that girl from the ring dafsfrggnua I'm shuddering writing this. I think they are going to appear in dark corners...I'm a bit backward.

If you are referring to 'Let the right one in' don’t let the genre put you off, it’s more of a fairy tale (Like pans Labyrinth).

It’s only bracketed as a horror because the lead just happens to be a vampire.

Watched Copying Beethoven tonight .. a fair amount of artistic licence as is the hollwood way but when Beethoven premiers his Ninth Symphony and the choir kick in it's just beautiful ..if i wasn't such a tough guy i'd have almost cried :-) .. film is ok but that one scene is just magical it really does make the hairs on the back of your head stand up

worth seeing it for Ed Harris as well

Â