The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

I dunno what it was about The Way Way Back but I just don't rate it as highly as others do, it was good, but also felt a bit empty. Dunno, hard to put my finger on why I weren't so keen on it. At a similar time Kings of Summer was released which had a similar vibe, but I much preferred Kings of Summer, it felt more... genuine I guess.

• Like 1

I dunno what it was about The Way Way Back but I just don't rate it as highly as others do, it was good, but also felt a bit empty. Dunno, hard to put my finger on why I weren't so keen on it. At a similar time Kings of Summer was released which had a similar vibe, but I much preferred Kings of Summer, it felt more... genuine I guess.

I got both at the same time and will be watching kings of summer in the next few days. Its got Ron Swanson in it so im looking forward to it.

Oh and troon, you need to watch the original. It is sublime but I'm not sure if it will have the same impact now you've seen the new one.

Didn't know it was a remake but yeah the Josh Brolin one. I've seen a few hideous movies in my time an this wasn't one of 'em.

That's the remake - try and check out the original Korean flick - it is truly superb (unless you're an octopus)

Yes, I said as much a few pages ago. Not a bad movie, but quite lazy and derivative and with the talent involved, it could have been much better.

Watched Oldboy today.  Wowzers, it's not often I get caught out anymore with a twist but that was a zinger!  Excellent movie.

8/10

I liked this.

Then I saw that you were talking about the Brolin one and unliked it. Tut tut.

her.

Intriguing, odd, brilliant, confusing, bizarre, inspiring, invigorating, uplifting, frustrating, depressing and cathartic.

10/10.

I switched it off half way through , I thought it was dull and I just couldn't get into it much as I wanted to

• Like 1

Watched "The Grand Budapest Hotel" last night. Cute for cute's sake. Not a bad movie at all, just so-so. I think Wes Anderson will never make a movie as funny, original and with as much heart as "Rushmore". Hard act to follow despite his best efforts. I'd like to see him try something outside his comfort zone, like a thriller or a straight up drama, and maybe even an adaptation from something somebody else wrote. At this point, his bag of tricks has been found out, IMO.

• Like 1

Yes, I said as much a few pages ago. Not a bad movie, but quite lazy and derivative and with the talent involved, it could have been much better.

I like it because it felt effortlessly brilliant, a bit like Little Miss Sunshine and Juno. They tell a simple story without falling into any of the standard formulaic traps.

In all 3 films I found myself waiting for the obvious twists and turns which have become the norm, like

Sam Rockwell being a secret perv who was luring him in, or Juno keeping the baby, or Little Miss Sunshine's mom winning the lottery or something.

they just don't bother with all that crap. Where other movies have massive highs and massive lows, these 3 have a natural, believable story arc that entertains. It's like listening to music with a flat EQ rather than turning the treble and bass up. No-one is massively bad or good, they're just fallible human beings.

• Like 1

The Machinist - 7 out of 10 - Doesnt deserve its cult status and im in no rush to ever watch it again but it was decent enough. Bale's weight loss for that movie was beyond shocking. Liked the dark, moody atmosphere. Well made, well acted. Nothing more.

Under the Skin - 5.5 out of 10. First 20 minutes I though ' yeah this is genius' and im all for pretentious films that try to be different then it finally dawned on me I was wrong it was utter turd. Scarlet Johannson got her bits out but even that was a big disappointment.

Non Stop - 2 out of 10 - Utter dog turd. Cant even be bothered to waste my time to talk about it.

Calvary - 8.5 out of 10. Fantastic. Compelling from the start. The acting was top notch. Shows you dont need a big budget or big name stars to make a great movie. Certainly one of my films of the year.

I do look forward to watching Under the Skin again at some point, as there's every chance I still won't know what to make of it 2nd time around!

Watched Vertigo this morning as part of gradual process of working my way through Hitchcock's films. ( North by Northwest still my favourite ) I love James Stewart though, such a good actor and the film had all the director's hallmarks, well constructed narrative, stunning shots - there's one phenomenal one that stands out for some reason - a birds eye view of the bell tower with JS leaving from one door and nuns climbing onto the roof on the left of the shot. And the nightmare sequence was weirdly brilliant. 8/10. 

• Like 2

Â