The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

I have watched two Clint Eastwood films this week.

jima.jpg54288.jpg

Letters from Iwo Jima and Flags of our fathers.

They are both about the battle of Iwo Jima, which is one of the most famous battles of the second world war, and one of the most famous battles in American history. Letters is from the Japanese point of view, Flags is from the American point of view. Letters is almost entirely in Japanese, with English subtitles. Its also one of the best war movies I have ever seen.

WW2_Iwo_Jima_flag_raising.jpg

Im sure most of us have seen this picture, even if its not really taught in history lessons in British schools. Its American Marines raising the flag over Iwo Jima. I would highly recommend watching the Japanese movie first, even if the American one was released in cinemas first (albeit by a month or so.)

The Japanese one is almost entirely set on the island and about the battle itself, which gives lots of context that the average British person might be missing as most of our WWII education ignored the Pacific front. The American one is more about the raising of the flag, and what happened to the people in the photo. Both are excellent movies, and if you can watch both within a short period of time then you are in for a treat.

I heard somewhere that the flag from that famous picture originally was the second flag raised. The first flag was to small to be noticed properly. That's the american PR machine for you.

IN honour of John Hughes, who has died earlier today from a heart attack whilst out walking in NYC, I recommend-

Ferris Buellers Day Off

The Breakfast Club

Planes, Trains and Automobiles

Uncle Buck

Home Alone

Weird Science

John Hughes RIP

I have watched two Clint Eastwood films this week.

jima.jpg54288.jpg

Letters from Iwo Jima and Flags of our fathers.

They are both about the battle of Iwo Jima, which is one of the most famous battles of the second world war, and one of the most famous battles in American history. Letters is from the Japanese point of view, Flags is from the American point of view. Letters is almost entirely in Japanese, with English subtitles. Its also one of the best war movies I have ever seen.

WW2_Iwo_Jima_flag_raising.jpg

Im sure most of us have seen this picture, even if its not really taught in history lessons in British schools. Its American Marines raising the flag over Iwo Jima. I would highly recommend watching the Japanese movie first, even if the American one was released in cinemas first (albeit by a month or so.)

The Japanese one is almost entirely set on the island and about the battle itself, which gives lots of context that the average British person might be missing as most of our WWII education ignored the Pacific front. The American one is more about the raising of the flag, and what happened to the people in the photo. Both are excellent movies, and if you can watch both within a short period of time then you are in for a treat.

I heard somewhere that the flag from that famous picture originally was the second flag raised. The first flag was to small to be noticed properly. That's the american PR machine for you.

The film (flags of our fathers) covers that point extensively.

A small group of Marines who were first up the mountain raised a flag. The rest of the US forces who were down on the beach or out at sea on ships could see it, so they started cheering and sounding the horns in their vehicles and everything. A photo of the flag was taken.

A short while later (dunno exactly, minutes or hours anyway) the bulk of the US Marines were headed up the mountain to make a camp, it was overheard that a general or politician or somebody wanted the flag as a keepsake. The captain of the Marine corps was **** if that was going to happen, and he decided that they should put another flag up and if the general wanted to nick that, he was free to but the Marines would still have the "real" flag. The second flag was given to a Marine who was travelling in the big group of people who were now headed up the mountain. Also in the group were a couple of photographers. They just chanced on the moment that some marines were raising the second flag and took a picture of it, and to be fair it is a pretty **** awesome picture. It took six marines to raise it just because the pole was heavy.

The picture got picked up by all the newspapers because it is so easy on the eye. The flag was raised just 5 days into the 35 day battle, and 3 of the 6 marines raising the flag died in the remainder of the battle. It just happened that the mountain was the first thing on the island of Iwo Jima that the Marines captured. It took another 30 days to capture the rest of the island.

The rest of the film is about the relationship between the Marines in the photo and the American public. They were a bit too young to realise how important the picture was to the nation I guess. They were all in their early twenties at the time, but just like young kids need a star player to get into a sport, sometimes adults need a hero to be the face of a cause. The people in the picture became the face of the war effort, and they probably generated more public good will and funding by accidentally being in a cool photo than they ever intended.

You should check both films out if you are interested.

"Cinema Paradiso"
:thumb: Great film.

I just watched The Black Dahlia, but it's a big disappointment after Ellroy's fantastic novel. Looks very good in a "retro-noir" way, but the lead actors are just so wooden and miscast. Josh Hartnett in particular is is just wrong in the lead role.

Not in the same league as "L.A. Confidential" at all.

51GV0Dss1nL._SS500_.jpg

Not sure if this has already been mentioned in the thread but I picked this up for a fiver at Asda the other day and it's a really great watch. Tyson comes across as a pitiable soul who whilst acutely self-aware of his short-comings, is totally unable to help himself. He does come across as a total scumbag in the main but it also shows how the influences in his life (good and bad) made him who he is/was.

Do not watch "The Land That Time Forgot" ....... I lasted until i saw the first CGI dinosaur which looked like it had been designed by a mental patient with an etch a sketch........

:crylaugh:

*i'll be thieving that simile thank you very much * :lol:

Uncle Buck and Planes Trains and Automobiles were ace.

I've recently just watched 12 Angry Men - which is awesome, and also belatedly seen The Hustler too, which were both excellent. I'm planning on watching the original french Taxi! later again too

Mesrine: Killer Instinct

Saw it yesterday, top class entertainment

Also, as mentioned 'Moon' and 'Let The Right One In'

I shall be watching part one of Mesrine tomorrow night. Can't wait, It's supposed to be fantastic.

Â