The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

The new Foxcatcher teaser trailer has got me pretty excited.

Rumours are Channing Tatum and Steve Carell are going to surprise a few people with their performances.

I quite like the way Tatums career is heading. He's getting some good roles.

From the director of Capote and Moneyball so should hopefully be great.

• Like 2

Let's face it, you want some gritty, depressing film where the protagonist fails and there's no happy ending for anyone involved ;)

Yes, and preferably French and shot in black & white.
One of my faves - Pierrot le Fou. In colour, but hey, 2/3 ain't bad Edited by hogso

Enemy at the Gates. Meh it's ok. Jude Law a bit too clean cut for a poor Russian. Shoot scenes are good but the love/jealous aspect was a bit much. The story was a bit slow paced as well. Cheeky bum shot of Racquel Weisz though which was pleasant

Edited by mikeyp102

Fascinating story of a guy recording his first album at the age of 60

imagejpg1_zps880d1c57.jpg

It's bloody great isn't it?! He was singing with the Daptone Super Soul Revue, at Glastonbury at the weekend. 

• Like 1

Yup, that's what made me realise it'd been in the to-do pile for way too long. Utterly amazing guy. Watching him trying to learn to read was one of the most moving things I've seen in a while (and gave some context to such mistakes as Bobby Wo-matt). To go through everything he's been through in his life and still be so full of love is truly inspiring.

Edited by choffer
  • Like 1

Let's face it, you want some gritty, depressing film where the protagonist fails and there's no happy ending for anyone involved ;)

But only if nobody else likes it.

If it's popular then forget about it.

I've been meaning to watch that for a while now, and The Decalogue & Three Colours trilogy. Basically anything buy Kieslowski.

Anyway, despite my misgivings for CGI fests, I will go see Dawn of the Planet of the Apes.... because APES ON HORSES ZOMG.

Dawn-of-the-Planet-of-the-Apes-1.jpg

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner

I haven't seen anything of his pre-decalogue, it seems. For anyone who has seen all his stuff, what's worth seeing in particular?

Stake Land (2010)

A different take on your usual vamp film. Kind of like The Road mixed with Vampires (James Woods). Decent overall but Not without its flaws:

why do some humans turn and not others, what caused the outbreak?, why is there handily copious amounts of metal link fencing everywhere? Unprotected, unguarded entrance to 'New Eden'

Good acting, good characters and a fairly decent story despite what's mentioned in the spoilers box. I enjoyed the travelling/journey segments, the bleakness of the countryside and the atmosphere generated. All slightly let down by the most open ended final scene in history.

7.5/10

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 1

Anyway, despite my misgivings for CGI fests, I will go see Dawn of the Planet of the Apes.... because APES ON HORSES ZOMG.

Dawn-of-the-Planet-of-the-Apes-1.jpg

total film pretty much said that its amazing because of the CGI being so good, they also said that its the 1st film to film externally in 3D, not sure how true that is, but the 3D is meant to be very good too

serkis has signed up to do star wars and i think his company has been signed up to work with mark ruffalo for the next avengers film, his stock seems to have risen again, lots of directors gushing about him in interviews recently, shame really, he does the kind of roles that will never get nominated for the main award but he is superb at what he does

I watched Silence of the Lambs. I thought it seemed like a bit of a TV movie for such an iconic film but still, great performance by Jodie Foster. Not as scary or gruesome as I was expecting either.

Â