The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Seven Pounds - Will Smith

I remember this being advertised when it was at the cinema but never went to watch it. Then I got it on DVD the other day. I didnt have a clue what it was about, I just knew that Will Smith was in it and it was suppose to be a decent film... and it didnt disappoint. I thought it was awesome, a very deep film and well made

worth a watch imo

i agree with the lovefilm account thing, my 3 month trial finishes next week but ill keep mine going

Yea I did that too as I bought a Blu Ray player; it makes sense to rent Blu Ray discs rather than pay over the odds.

My three months has also passed but I'll be keeping it going.

My recent Love Film disc was 'The Warlords'. The film is a true story and set in the 1860s, during the Taiping Rebellion in the late Qing Dynasty in China. (Jet Li was awesome in this, no kung fu just acting) -

poster-de-the-warlords-fm974.jpg

this one doghouse out friday, it is hilarous

That one's already got its own thread

EDIT: You already know that though, you started the thread!

I heard the level of detail of the animation in Kung Fu Panda is something to behold when watched in HD.

I can't speak for kung fu panda as I haven't seen it, but stuff like Wall-E and Monsters INc in HD are awesome. That kind of animation looks amazing in HD so I guess it'll be the same for Kung Fu Panda.

KFP has Imax scenes as well doesn't it, IIRC?

• 1 month later...
I heard the level of detail of the animation in Kung Fu Panda is something to behold when watched in HD.

I can't speak for kung fu panda as I haven't seen it, but stuff like Wall-E and Monsters INc in HD are awesome. That kind of animation looks amazing in HD so I guess it'll be the same for Kung Fu Panda.

KFP has Imax scenes as well doesn't it, IIRC?

Wall-e does indeed looks amazing on hd, i thought Dark Knight looked beautiful aswell.

I have watched two Clint Eastwood films this week.

jima.jpg54288.jpg

Letters from Iwo Jima and Flags of our fathers.

They are both about the battle of Iwo Jima, which is one of the most famous battles of the second world war, and one of the most famous battles in American history. Letters is from the Japanese point of view, Flags is from the American point of view. Letters is almost entirely in Japanese, with English subtitles. Its also one of the best war movies I have ever seen.

WW2_Iwo_Jima_flag_raising.jpg

Im sure most of us have seen this picture, even if its not really taught in history lessons in British schools. Its American Marines raising the flag over Iwo Jima. I would highly recommend watching the Japanese movie first, even if the American one was released in cinemas first (albeit by a month or so.)

The Japanese one is almost entirely set on the island and about the battle itself, which gives lots of context that the average British person might be missing as most of our WWII education ignored the Pacific front. The American one is more about the raising of the flag, and what happened to the people in the photo. Both are excellent movies, and if you can watch both within a short period of time then you are in for a treat.

Â