The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

If you do watch Mulholland Drive, I'll warn you, if you want something with a definitive plot, and a definite meaning and ending... you ain't gonna like it.

But if you're ok with something that'll make you really have to consider whats going on and keeps you going down different routes, it's brilliant. I watched it with a mate earlier this year and while wathcing it we had about 5 different theories to what was going on as we watched, and I still couldn't tell you now what it's actually about with no doubt whatsoever.

But regardless... it's class. Wiki describes it as a 'neo-noir psychological thriller', which is pretty accurate.

It also features some excellent lesbo action!

My tip is clued in my sig.

Re: Irreversible, prepare yourself for a nine minute relentless rape scene.

You timed it? :shock:

Were you watching it with Gabby15? :lol:

Re: Irreversible, prepare yourself for a nine minute relentless rape scene.

You timed it? :shock:

Were you watching it with Gabby15? :lol:

:lol: 9 is an estimate, would of been better off saying 10 wouldn't I.

There is a very prolonge scene ith a naked Belucci afterwards but it's hard no to think about what you had just seen, even though it is set chronologically before (estimated) nine minutes of badness.

UnthinkablePoster.jpg

watched this, very good. raises some interesting points which will no doubt be argued over on here some time

I was absolutely shocked at the suggestion that the americans would not use such tactics whenever it suited. But no spoiler, well worth a watch.

UnthinkablePoster.jpg

watched this, very good. raises some interesting points which will no doubt be argued over on here some time

I was absolutely shocked at the suggestion that the americans would not use such tactics whenever it suited. But no spoiler, well worth a watch.

Having read the plot synopsis, I've raised the debate before now on here. Tis interesting but from what the film's synopsis says it's about... I'm iffy on what it seems to suggest.

SPOILER OMG SPOILERRRR

It pretty much suggests that in extreme situations that torture is necassary in order to get results. They try and balance it by suggesting that in war there is no right and wrong, only life and death. And in the situation the movie brings up, sacrificing few in order to save millions is the main dilemma. It tries to portray the moral problem of it through the female, who says torture is wrong in any instance (although she conveniently comes round to the idea).

In the media it is portrayed as 'what is right or wrong' and goes into all this murky grey area, in the movie they do their best to show the difference between the armchair debates and the reality of these situations, which are more black and white.

NO MORE SPOILERS YAY

SPOILER OMG SPOILERRRR

It pretty much suggests that in extreme situations that torture is necassary in order to get results. They try and balance it by suggesting that in war there is no right and wrong, only life and death. And in the situation the movie brings up, sacrificing few in order to save millions is the main dilemma. It tries to portray the moral problem of it through the female, who says torture is wrong in any instance (although she conveniently comes round to the idea).

In the media it is portrayed as 'what is right or wrong' and goes into all this murky grey area, in the movie they do their best to show the difference between the armchair debates and the reality of these situations, which are more black and white.

NO MORE SPOILERS YAY

Apart from the fact that the exact situation the film puts forward has been used by politicians before now to justify the scenario, which is called the ticking time bomb scenario, and the flaw of the idea is that it's never happened.

...And that torture doesn't work.

As I said, I'd raised it here before (search for torture and it should come up) and it's not a issue that really has any basis worth talking about whatsoever really, once you udnerstand what it entails it's dead in the water.

Moon is a good film. I'd never heard of it until I saw it in the "Top Sci-Fi Films" on play.com...

£5 on play! Bought it and it's really good.

Apart from the fact that the exact situation the film puts forward has been used by politicians before now to justify the scenario, which is called the ticking time bomb scenario, and the flaw of the idea is that it's never happened.

...And that torture doesn't work.

As I said, I'd raised it here before (search for torture and it should come up) and it's not a issue that really has any basis worth talking about whatsoever really, once you udnerstand what it entails it's dead in the water.

Aye, this situation never arises, so it shouldn't be used to justify it. In fact the movie makes a point of it, in explaining that outside these isolated and extreme circumstances there is very little to argue for/against. However, in theory if this was to arise then this movie explains that moral dilemmas should be set aside. There are no real alternatives when dealing with the character in this movie, who is deluded by their faith and determined to blow people seven ways to sunday. And the movie (albeit at the very end) shows you that even with torture of this kind, they'll still win because their will is stronger than ours.

But for a movie it's enjoyable and worth a watch!

Â