The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Just sat through the torturously slow and boring "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy"....Gary Oldman is one of my favorite actors, and the film even managed to muffle his great acting ability. I can handle slow burners, but this one never even made the kettle warm.

You're like me then!

I can see why people enjoyed that film, but I thought it was absolutely awful. As bored as I've ever been in a cinema.

Finally saw Skyfall and really enjoyed it.

Thought the trademark opening credits sequence was probably the best I've seen.

Cinematography was brilliant. Action, story, acting all equally as good.

Thoughts on 'Life is Beautiful' Simon?

Personally I liked it.

It's quite a divisive movie though, and I know some people who absolutely hated it because of how the subject matter was handled. I think it helps if you like Benigni. I do to a certain extent, he's not a great actor, but you can't fault his enthusiasm. Can't forgive him for his version of Pinochio though, which is still one of the most ****-up movies I've ever seen (and not in a good way).

I tend to like movies with a powerful message even if it is a depressing one and I've been told this film has a particular scene that lives long in the memory.

Saw Oblivion last night

Despite it all being rather obvious it wasn't a bad way to eat some popcorn and drink the worlds most expensive Pepsi Max

Trailer for Iron Man 3 looked a bit Meh , time to call it a day on that franchise methinks

Just finished rewatching the lotr trilogy.. My god they are so good. Yes they differ from the books (which I have read). But they are still a great trilogy. The cinetography is so good, for example minas tirath in return of the king is fantastic. Think Tolkein would be very happy with the way the books are portrayed

Edited by mikeyp102
  • Like 2

olympus has fallen

awful, badly written with a ridiculous number of plot holes, poorly acted with the scottish sneaking in to butler's accent again, rip off of die hard (although a reminder of what a difference being a 15 can make rather than a shit 12a, some good violence) cant believe the gf made me watch it rather than a place beyond the pines

Saw two films last night

Unthinkable - 8/10

Not the best of timings to watch a film about terrorism but it was rather good. Very thought provoking and well acted and raises a lot of issues around the use of torture and the moral side of it. 

Headhunters - 9/10: fantastic thriller about an art thief on the run, some great scenes, some very disgusting scenes and one scene in particular that nearly had me chucking up. Great film though, the lead actor is brilliant. 

• Like 1

Saw two films last night

Unthinkable - 8/10

Not the best of timings to watch a film about terrorism but it was rather good. Very thought provoking and well acted and raises a lot of issues around the use of torture and the moral side of it. 

Headhunters - 9/10: fantastic thriller about an art thief on the run, some great scenes, some very disgusting scenes and one scene in particular that nearly had me chucking up. Great film though, the lead actor is brilliant. 

Agree on both of those, Headhunters was particularly brilliant imo.

I tend to like movies with a powerful message even if it is a depressing one and I've been told this film has a particular scene that lives long in the memory.

First time I watched it, i really liked it and thought it was excellent, when I read up on those who disliked it and watched it again, there's one scene in particular which I think is a bit misjudged, but otherwise, I think any film dealing with the Holocaust is going to risk upsetting people - even The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas incurred some criticism I think - but I think any effort to try and retain pass on this massive historical event onto new generations is vital. But  I still do like it, the ending is powerful, and the intent behind the film is right anyway. But some of it will depend on how you find Benigni in the lead as delightful or annoying! He stayed on the right side of entertaining for me. 

---

Friend's a Japanese film fan, introduced us to a couple of films by a Takeshi person. Zataoichi - great fun.  Boiling Point - slow budget and hilarious but not for the right reasons. Limited dialogue, bizarre long scenes where nothing is said, and inexplicable scenes inserted for no reason - just utterly bizarre, but something different I suppose. 

Friend's a Japanese film fan, introduced us to a couple of films by a Takeshi person. Zataoichi - great fun.  Boiling Point - slow budget and hilarious but not for the right reasons. Limited dialogue, bizarre long scenes where nothing is said, and inexplicable scenes inserted for no reason - just utterly bizarre, but something different I suppose. 

Ah, good old 'Beat' Takeshi - mad as a box of frogs. Check out Hana Bi (Fireworks) which is a great movie.

He also played the nutty sensei in Battle Royale.

Jack Reacher 7/10

I really enjoyed the car chase in this movie i liked the way they had no music playing and it was quiet so you could hear the sound of the engines quite different to other car chases where you hear some dumb music in the background

Â