Jump to content

The Film Thread


DeadlyDirk
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 12/09/2021 at 08:09, leemond2008 said:

See the source image

I went to see Candyman last week, I felt like it was a film that wasn't really needed but in the times of the soft reboot its not all that surprising, especially when you consider how relevant the politics are all these years after the original.

Initially I came out of the cinema and though "well that was a bit shit" but once I had the chance to process it I think that I would probably enjoy it a lot more on a second viewing.

The opening soundtrack was amazing and really got my hopes up at the beginning of the film, the acting was pretty solid, the politics were in your face but not rammed down your throat, the kills were suitably gory and they were respectful of the original.

Where the film fell down was with Candyman himself, they were in an unwinnable position because Tony Todd was so iconic in the role that replacing him would have had fans of the original spitting feathers unless he pulled out a Heath Ledger/Dark Knight performance, instead of directly replacing him they focused more on the lore and while Candyman is seen throughout the film, he doesn't have a presence he doesn't have a personality, it seems like he is just a vehicle to make the film happen rather than being the actual reason that the film happens.

They expand on the Lore and history of Candyman, I don't think it was necessary to dedicate quite so much of the film to this, you have a real slow burner for the first 70 minutes and then it was as if they thought "oh Christ, we need to get this finished" and bang the ending completely shifts the tone, goes batshit crazy and felt a little bit rushed in all fairness.

I'd give it a 5.5 or 6 out of 10 but I would probably revise that on a second viewing. 

I thought it was excellent.

Contrary to popular opinion, the original Candyman is shit. I mean it's alright, but it's nowhere near as good as people woudl have you believe.

The new one is far far better, 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I thought it was excellent.

Contrary to popular opinion, the original Candyman is shit. I mean it's alright, but it's nowhere near as good as people woudl have you believe.

The new one is far far better, 

yeah, I'd like to see it again, I think I'll enjoy it a lot more on a second viewing now that I know what to expect from it, I think that this was one of the rare occasions when going into a film blind was a bit of a mistake because I had my own preconceived ideas of what I wanted/expected.

It wasn't a bad film at all and it was quite well done, I just still think that it lacked the personality and presence of Tony Todd and in a way they didn't even try to fill that void with the way they went about portraying him.

I love the original and watched it just the other week, it was first released in 1992 so I would have been 8 when it was released and probably would have been no older than 9 or 10 when I first saw it, that might be part of the reason why I enjoy it so much, I must have seen it at least 30 times in the last 20 years.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • VT Supporter
30 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

 

I love the original and watched it just the other week, it was first released in 1992 so I would have been 8 when it was released and probably would have been no older than 9 or 10 when I first saw it, that might be part of the reason why I enjoy it so much, I must have seen it at least 30 times in the last 20 years.

Yeah I'm a big fan of the original. The atmosphere it creates was downright bleak from the start and it just gets darker and darker and as you say Tony Todd is just a **** horror icon.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I thought it was excellent.

Contrary to popular opinion, the original Candyman is shit. I mean it's alright, but it's nowhere near as good as people woudl have you believe.

The new one is far far better, 

So it’s not shit then? Because it definitely isn’t, it’s good. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I watched Road Trip for the first time in 20 years last night, I was a teenager the last time I saw it and I remember thinking it was bloody hilarious back then. Not so much now but it still got a few childish giggles out of me. Man, Tom Green was/is a strange **** dude. 

Rat Race was another from that time that I remember loving 20 years ago but hadn’t seen since, well I watched it last week and it was a bit plop really. Lovable plop bit plop nonetheless.

Was just cool to check in on 15/16 year old Rich again, Ive always made an effort to block that time of my life out of my mind a little bit but cherry picking these blasts from the past reminds me there was a few good times too. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

So it’s not shit then? Because it definitely isn’t, it’s good. 

I meant in comparison to how highly it's rated.

I just don't think it's a particularly good film. I get that it's a cult classic but it just isn't very good.

 

The new one is ten times the film that the original is

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • VT Supporter

For all the (deserved) crap Snyder gets, he's capable of knocking out some fantastic sequences. Ok he's basically just wholesale copied the graphic novel but there's still some artistry in the adaptation, the use of music,  the cinematography.

Watchmen, particularly the Directors Cut, is a brilliant bit of work.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • VT Supporter
2 hours ago, Chindie said:

For all the (deserved) crap Snyder gets, he's capable of knocking out some fantastic sequences. Ok he's basically just wholesale copied the graphic novel but there's still some artistry in the adaptation, the use of music,  the cinematography.

Watchmen, particularly the Directors Cut, is a brilliant bit of work.

Watched it twice upon its release, very good, never seen the Dcut, but will do now, thanks for the reminder. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

I watched Road Trip for the first time in 20 years last night, I was a teenager the last time I saw it and I remember thinking it was bloody hilarious back then. Not so much now but it still got a few childish giggles out of me. Man, Tom Green was/is a strange **** dude. 

Rat Race was another from that time that I remember loving 20 years ago but hadn’t seen since, well I watched it last week and it was a bit plop really. Lovable plop bit plop nonetheless.

Was just cool to check in on 15/16 year old Rich again, Ive always made an effort to block that time of my life out of my mind a little bit but cherry picking these blasts from the past reminds me there was a few good times too. 

I have seen Rat Race about 10 times. Its one of those films the entire household quotes, and if it was on tonight I think all of us would agree to watch it. Its not great and I have no clue why it has so much love in this house, but it continues to do so. Coincidentally as does Road Trip and Dude wheres my car. The latter don't come close to the affection Rat Race gets. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • VT Supporter

As she’s in a couple of them and I’ve been reminded of her, I always thought Amy Smart was slightly too good to just disappear into relative obscurity. It’s almost like she was a prototype Elizabeth Banks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • VT Supporter
1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

I have seen Rat Race about 10 times. Its one of those films the entire household quotes, and if it was on tonight I think all of us would agree to watch it. Its not great and I have no clue why it has so much love in this house, but it continues to do so. Coincidentally as does Road Trip and Dude wheres my car. The latter don't come close to the affection Rat Race gets. 

Modern versions which I think are much better are We're The Millers and Vacation. Rat Race is still great though. I've also got a bit of a fondness for Eurotrip. Possibly because they nail British football culture.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

As she’s in a couple of them and I’ve been reminded of her, I always thought Amy Smart was slightly too good to just disappear into relative obscurity. It’s almost like she was a prototype Elizabeth Banks.

she's got the lead role in DCs stargirl

there's enough TV work out there for none of them to disappear if they're any good

looked up elizabeth banks to see what she's up to, did a mini series that id never heard of called mrs america thats got a 96% score on RT, might give that a bit more of a look

Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • VT Supporter
2 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Modern versions which I think are much better are We're The Millers and Vacation. Rat Race is still great though. I've also got a bit of a fondness for Eurotrip. Possibly because they nail British football culture.

And if we're talking about trashy but funny American comedies, I think these are great:

Just Go With It

Blended

Along Came Polly

Forgetting Sarah Marshall

50 First Dates

The Wedding Singer

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • VT Supporter
32 minutes ago, darrenm said:

And if we're talking about trashy but funny American comedies, I think these are great:

Just Go With It

Blended

Along Came Polly

Forgetting Sarah Marshall

50 First Dates

The Wedding Singer

Wedding Singer deserves higher distinction than that list, along with Something About Mary.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, darrenm said:

And if we're talking about trashy but funny American comedies, I think these are great:

Just Go With It

Blended

Along Came Polly

Forgetting Sarah Marshall

50 First Dates

The Wedding Singer

then came judd apatow, will ferrell and seth rogan came along...

i was the right age for those films so im not sure how well they hold up but between them they did do some really good films

Link to comment
Share on other sites

And while we're on the subject of bad US comedies and Tom Green it would be amiss not to mention Freddie Got Fingered.

There's no doubt it's terrible but it came out when me and friends were about 16/17 so we found it hilarious and I can still quote the hell of it.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

And while we're on the subject of bad US comedies and Tom Green it would be amiss not to mention Freddie Got Fingered.

There's no doubt it's terrible but it came out when me and friends were about 16/17 so we found it hilarious and I can still quote the hell of it.

I sing the backwards man on a regular basis.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of use Terms of Use, Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Â