The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Another recommendation for The Platform here. Very good film with an interesting message that’s quite pertinent, what with the current food hoarding situation. Lots of gratuitous violence too, which I like in a film. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Designer1 said:

MV5BOTZiMzZiNTktZGRkNi00Yzc4LWEyZTYtMTEzOGZjOTFkNWZkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTI4Mjg4MjA@._V1_.thumb.jpg.dde1607dfe2478108057ec1e6abd42d0.jpg

Genuinely one of the funniest, warmest and brilliantly written films I've seen for a while.

On Netflix and highly recommended. 

Loved it - very kooky and had us chuckling all the way through 

Spoiler

Particularly when the dead wife Bonnie made an appearance :D

Thanks for the recommend :)

• Like 1

Watched Fury and Vice yesterday.

Think Brad Pitt has to be one of my favourite actors ever. Not only is he mostly excellent, but I enjoy most of his films. Really enjoyable film and I like the cast. Vice was a slow burner, but enjoyed it way more than I thought I would as someone who's not all that big on politics.

Train to Busan  last night, and really enjoyed it. The little girl is great. Mildly disappointed one of the more egregious cowards didn't get a more spectacular comeuppance but good fun. 

• Like 2

On 21/03/2020 at 15:42, sne said:

The Platform Poster

Just watched Spanish movies El Hoyo (The Platform in English which is weird since hoyo is hole in Spanish)  

Anyway, take a bit of Snowpiercer and mix it with Fortress and Cube and you got a Spanish dystopian prison movie.

I quite liked it, solid 7.5/10

Watched this on the weekend. Thoroughly entertaining, whilst also being very disturbing and disgusting.

(There's already a movie called The Hole which is why I assume they changed the title for English audiences)

• Like 1

I also watched "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" on the weekend.

I'm a huge Tarantino fan, Di Caprio Fan, pitt fan, Margot Robbie fan...

... but I thought it was rather shit. I understand the relationship with real life events, but I still think it was a long and meandering way to get there and put Margot Robbie's character so far on the sideline it almost didn't matter.

Meh, it was weird to me. I have absolutely no desire to ever see it again.

25 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I also watched "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" on the weekend.

I'm a huge Tarantino fan, Di Caprio Fan, pitt fan, Margot Robbie fan...

... but I thought it was rather shit. I understand the relationship with real life events, but I still think it was a long and meandering way to get there and put Margot Robbie's character so far on the sideline it almost didn't matter.

Meh, it was weird to me. I have absolutely no desire to ever see it again.

Fair enough. I have to say that I preferred the 'long and meandering' getting there than the actual destination in some ways. In the end, I thought it was rather good. Certainly one of the best movies about male friendship I've seen in a while.

• Like 2

Just watched Journeyman. Absolutely brilliant work from all involved, especially the underrated Paddy Considine. It was that good my Mrs turned the volume off on her switch and stopped playing that Animal Crossing game to watch it. Not sure if my hay-fever is really bad but my eyes were dripping a lot. 

• Like 2

Just now, Wezbid said:

Just watched Journeyman. Absolutely brilliant work from all involved, especially the underrated Paddy Considine. It was that good my Mrs turned the volume off on her switch and stopped playing that Animal Crossing game to watch it. Not sure if my hay-fever is really bad but my eyes were dripping a lot. 

Paddy was great as usual in that, but Jodie Whittaker absolutely stole the show - she was immense.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Fair enough. I have to say that I preferred the 'long and meandering' getting there than the actual destination in some ways. In the end, I thought it was rather good. Certainly one of the best movies about male friendship I've seen in a while.

Nothing happens. I like their relationship, but I just found it very tedious.

Like I said all the elements are there for me to like it. It just didn't work for me.

I enjoyed it more than my other half though. She said it's the worst film she's seen in years :D 

8 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Paddy was great as usual in that, but Jodie Whittaker absolutely stole the show - she was immense.

Very true, she was fantastic, heart-breaking, tender. It didn't feel like I was watching actors, just someone's life. 

• Like 1

Rambo: Last Blood - Watchable with a fun home alone for grown ups ending, though poor old Rambo's art is a good bit worse than Kevin's. Really nice surprise homage in the end credits too.

Ad Astra: What in the actual navel gazing foop. A pure ridiculous movie where a man with daddy issues has to confront father to find that there are more important things in life than self. Only here this involves heading out and back to the edge of the solar system, nonsense. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villakram said:

Ad Astra: What in the actual navel gazing foop. A pure ridiculous movie where a man with daddy issues has to confront father to find that there are more important things in life than self. Only here this involves heading out and back to the edge of the solar system, nonsense. 

Agreed, total crap. Probably some nice shots of space, but I've blanked it from memory already.

On 21/03/2020 at 22:49, Designer1 said:

MV5BOTZiMzZiNTktZGRkNi00Yzc4LWEyZTYtMTEzOGZjOTFkNWZkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTI4Mjg4MjA@._V1_.thumb.jpg.dde1607dfe2478108057ec1e6abd42d0.jpg

Genuinely one of the funniest, warmest and brilliantly written films I've seen for a while.

On Netflix and highly recommended. 

Very good.

Extra enjoyable if you have Irish family you don't see that often. Loved the throwaway conversational lines that are hardly jokes.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Watched The Hunt, a bit short but a fairly good film with a nice bit of satire thrown in. 

Watched this on Sunday, enjoyed it.

The Invisible Man in comparison was disappointing.

Â