The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

I just watched Apocalypse Now for the first time in a while.

It was the Redux version (and its "re-doo" not "re-ducks" isnt it?) and its just a phenomenal bit of cinema. Its one of those films where you really can get into reading up on all the metaphors behind the central story. I think its basically saying that as a species we are savages who are doomed to make war with ourselves, but the film is every bit as fun as it is dark. The descent into darkness is superbly done. Three and a bit hours long, but well worth it. Oh, and there are tits in the redux version.

I just watched Apocalypse Now for the first time in a while.

It was the Redux version (and its "re-doo" not "re-ducks" isnt it?)

Hmmm, never thought about that. Always assumed it was "re-ducks", from the Latin. Anybody?

and its just a phenomenal bit of cinema. Its one of those films where you really can get into reading up on all the metaphors behind the central story. I think its basically saying that as a species we are savages who are doomed to make war with ourselves, but the film is every bit as fun as it is dark. The descent into darkness is superbly done. Three and a bit hours long, but well worth it. Oh, and there are tits in the redux version.
Have you read Conrad's "Heart of Darkness"? (The inspiration for the film, but set in the 19th Century Belgian Congo, rather than 1960s Vietnam).

Gran Torino is a really good film - some seriously funny quotes and classic lines. This could potentially be Clint's last film and it's a cracker.

Also watched Night at the Museum 2 last night with the kids. Very rarely you see a '2' film and it's as good as or even better than the first - but I honestly think this one is.

• 2 weeks later...
Once. Currently playing on Sky Premiere. Set in Dublin about a week in the life of a busker and an immigrant. The songs in it are really good. I had no idea when I watched this the other night that it actually won an oscar for best song. Enjoyable independent effort.

Fairly sure it's 're-doo'.

Watched a film called The Mist t'other night, which was surprisingly enjoyable. I love a happy ending.

According to pretty much every source I can find it's 'reducks'

On a real Coen Brothers kick recently. Watched Blood Simple the other night, which was excellent. (Re)watched a ton of other stuff too. All fantastic. No Country for Old Men, Fargo, The Big Lebowski in the last few weeks. Tonight I watched Raising Arizona for the first time in probably 15 years.

Raising_Arizona.jpg

I forgot how great this film is. Its fantastically funny, and it features the rarest of rare things. A movie that Nick Cage is actually good in.

Â