The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

half way through buster scrugs at the moment and im leaning towards "this is utter bollocks" if im honest

i find the coen brothers strange, at times they make incredible films like fargo, NCFOM, true grit, good films like burn after reading but then at the same time some "incredible films" that i find utter shite, big lebowski is the most overrated film ever made, a serious man i turned off it was that bad

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

half way through buster scrugs at the moment and im leaning towards "this is utter bollocks" if im honest

i find the coen brothers strange, at times they make incredible films like fargo, NCFOM, true grit, good films like burn after reading but then at the same time some "incredible films" that i find utter shite, big lebowski is the most overrated film ever made, a serious man i turned off it was that bad

It could be me who wrote this post.

I'm the same. Either a Coen Brothers film is incredible (NCFOM is in my top 5 ever as is O Brother Where Art Thou. Fargo is superb. ). Or I finish one that people love (eg Miller's Crossing, Raising Arizona) and think "what the **** was so good about that?"

I just don't get Big Lebowski. I've seen it 3 times now. And this isn't one of those where I didn't really want to like it and so made myself not enjoy it. I wanted to like it. I'd heard it was great, I like the Coen's, it should have been great.
But I just didn't like it. And then I watched it again to give it a second chance, and a third chance, and I still didn't like it.

Big Lebowski has a lot of references that you just have to know. e.g. His only ID is a "Ralph's Club Card" when he's signing checks and when he gets arrested.

I admit I didn't even notice that when I watched it. 5 years later I pull into a Ralphs in Oregon and start laughing - it's a West Coast supermarket chain. Lots of little tropes and memes like that in the film.

Bridges, Goodman & PS Hoffman are all fantastic in it.

On 16/11/2018 at 21:30, villa4europe said:

Well, I beg to differ. Never seen a Coen bros film I didn't like. Just finished Buster Scruggs, and I thought it was BRILLIANT. 

But then I'm a huge westerns fan, anyway. 

• Like 2

There was just a couple of bits to it that i found utterly pointless

Spoiler

The liam neeson bit is 15 minutes of my life im never getting back

There were some really cool bits

Spoiler

Buster was good, the kicking the table so the guy shot himself in the head was brilliant

The best bit of the film for me was the girl shooting herself but that scene lacked the punch that it could have had (and again came at the end of a pretty boring 15 minutes)

To me it just didnt seem like a proper film, looked very pretty, had some great performances but it was boring and the disjointed nature of it didnt work at all

• Like 1

Bit disappointed about The Ballad of Buster Scruggs. Wasn't bad mind, but I had higher hopes going in to it.

As others have said it starts off really good, but most of it is pretty forgettable IMO.

All very well made and such, but for me I think it would have worked better if I had watched it as 6 separate short stories spread out over time and not as a film in one sitting.

was nice to see Milton from Office Space again thou :D 

6/10 Far from their best work.

71pU2xLc8yL._SY445_.jpg

Powerful, brilliantly acted psychological drama from Australia. Even though it’s admirably restrained and never exploitative it’s still very much a hard watch at times, and the last 20 minutes or so are almost unbearably tense.

Recommended :thumb:

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, pooligan said:

The Day Of The Jackel (1973)

Another film off my list of need to watch.Pretty good i thought,i enjoyed it 

Fantastic film.

Always enjoyed the quiet scenes with the gunsmith.

“Will the gentleman be moving?”

“Stationary.”

On 15/10/2018 at 21:17, Shropshire Lad said:

Reveal hidden contents

Secondly, I did enjoy seeing the character of David Dunn after all these years just sat there, all weary like he knows it’s all about to kick off. 

Like I say, James McAvoy was fantastic (I still remember him from “Early Doors”)

Criminally underrated. The scenes with the Police are superb.

19 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

in 4 years time someone else will try another re imagined robin hood film and unsurprisingly that film will be shit too

even more unsurprisingly is that before the next shit robin hood film comes out another shit king arthur film will come out

And another couple of Spider Man or Batman reboots 

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

Â