The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

57 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Currently catching up on some films i've missed over the years.

Just finished Mud, what a great film! McConaughy is superb as usual!

Can anyone give me any other good one's he's in?

Most of his films are actually pretty good, There are a few stinkers  in the early-mid 2000's (Wedding planner, failure to launch, fools gold, sahara etc) but pretty much everything before 2000 & after 2010 is worth a watch.

Watched a couple of films this week, that amazingly had a lot in common: 

Wim Wenders' "Kings of the Road" (1976), mostly filmed on the East/West German border, and

Lee Price's "Frettin'" (2017), mostly filmed in Nuneaton. 

There's a film studies essay to be written, there. 

• Like 1

saw Ted 2 the other night ... some genuine LOL moments  ... but possibly the most racist thing I've seen on my TV since Diane Abbot   , surprised they felt the need and that they got away with it ...

Edited by tonyh29

2 hours ago, Jon said:

which bit was racist Tone Loc?

was like an underlying theme , every google search resulted in Black cock  , the black woman calling a white couple white n****rs  ,  the scene in the sperm bank (regardless ,  I did genuinely lol at  “You”re covered in rejected black guys” sperm. You”re like a Kardashian!”  )  , the judge being pacified by soul music ,

I kind of get they are laughing at the sterotype and not the people , I just think he got it  wrong in his delivery method

maybe racist is the wrong word , it was just MacFarlane  being MacFarlane  at the end of the day

On 17/09/2018 at 20:56, LakotaDakota said:

Most of his films are actually pretty good, There are a few stinkers  in the early-mid 2000's (Wedding planner, failure to launch, fools gold, sahara etc) but pretty much everything before 2000 & after 2010 is worth a watch.

and although its tv and not movie honourable mention to his performance in True Detective

Mentioning True Detective, Cary Fukunaga, the guy behind the first series, is signed on to direct Bond 25. Starts filming in March for release the following February.

A couple of things.

Fukunaga is a weird choice. He has never done anything like a Bond movie, and in his career has tended to make more 'thoughtful' stuff, like Beasts of No Nation, and generally works to his own scripts. Here he's going to be doing whatever Eon tells him to and working to a script he's given. Hmm.

Also, filming a Bond movie, editing it, doing all the post production, etc etc, to release, in under a year... Hmm.

I'd probably place this movie actually coming out in February 2020 as less likely than Fukunaga leaving the whole thing by May. If it does happen, you'd have to bet it's going to be crap. Especially considering you're potentially looking at them needing to knock out a script in 6 months.

163725.jpg

There's been a load of stuff released of the Joaquin Phoenix Joker movie this week. Including his makeup look.

I'm not completely sold on whatever Warner Bros is trying to do with this, though I'm sure Phoenix will do a good enough job with whatever this ends up being. But I'm really not sold on the makeup look. Aping John Wayne Gacey is a bit much.

It’s like a mix of Cesar and Ledger with a nod to Jokers henchmen masks in TDK. I kind of - reservedly - like it. I’m also fairly positive this is early days joker while he is searching for his signature look, I’m sure by the end of the film he will have the signature purple/green look. Or maybe this is it I don’t know?

Edited by Ingram85

On 17/09/2018 at 20:56, LakotaDakota said:

Hey! Ray Winstones terrible accent aside, Fools Gold is actually alright! 

Edited by Ingram85

8 hours ago, Chindie said:

163725.jpg

There's been a load of stuff released of the Joaquin Phoenix Joker movie this week. Including his makeup look.

I'm not completely sold on whatever Warner Bros is trying to do with this, though I'm sure Phoenix will do a good enough job with whatever this ends up being. But I'm really not sold on the makeup look. Aping John Wayne Gacey is a bit much.

Was talking to a friend of mine today who is working on this movie here in Manhattan. She said that Phoenix is absolutely amazing on set when he gets into character. It's set in 1981 for some reason so expect lots of shoulder pads and back combed hair.

Oh and it's an absolute shit show with the paparazzi around the set. 

On 20/09/2018 at 16:44, Chindie said:

Mentioning True Detective, Cary Fukunaga, the guy behind the first series, is signed on to direct Bond 25. Starts filming in March for release the following February.

A couple of things.

Fukunaga is a weird choice. He has never done anything like a Bond movie, and in his career has tended to make more 'thoughtful' stuff, like Beasts of No Nation, and generally works to his own scripts. Here he's going to be doing whatever Eon tells him to and working to a script he's given. Hmm.

Also, filming a Bond movie, editing it, doing all the post production, etc etc, to release, in under a year... Hmm.

I'd probably place this movie actually coming out in February 2020 as less likely than Fukunaga leaving the whole thing by May. If it does happen, you'd have to bet it's going to be crap. Especially considering you're potentially looking at them needing to knock out a script in 6 months.

He left the It production, so has previous. Surprised he got the gig. 

On 03/09/2018 at 11:50, stuart_75 said:

Wait till you see The Escape Plan 2....

I was about to say same thing.  It's one of the shortest films I've seen in years. Stallones coming to the end of his career he needs to start trying something new as he is looking like a Has Been.

For example like Arnold when I'm maggie

Â