The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Out of those two mentioned, Shoe dip. 100%. Never felt so bad for a cartoon shoe.

I remember as a child being freaked out watching the boy(s) transforming into Donkeys bit in Pinocchio. Think I’ve only ever seen that film once, but that bit stayed with me for ages.

On 13/08/2018 at 08:27, mottaloo said:

The trailers for the Christopher Robin film.....it might just be me but does pooh bear look just a little bit creepy, compared to his cartoon/book image ?

I think he may have touched up Christopher Robin as a child.

#MeToo

• Haha 1

Two movies came to my attention today that somehow I'd missed.

Both look pretty grim, frankly.

First - A post apocalyptic film in which the entire Northern Hemisphere is wiped out.

Fred Astaire races in the World's last Grand Prix in Australia. It's a pretty hazardous event as everyone is going to die anyway, crashing and burning all around.

It's called 'On The Beach', it's from 1959 but there seems to be a remake in 2000 as a mini series.

There's lots more to it than this scene, but Fred Astaire does 'Death Race 2000' does sound intriguing.

Second - 'Plague Dogs'.

Made by the team that made 'Watership Down'.

Looks even more harrowing.

Starts in an animal lab, finishes with everyone out to kill them.

On the Beach is a bit of a 50's classic. Gregory Peck and a young Antony Perkins of Psycho fame. Lots of Waltzing Matilda. Rather sad and depressing overall but drunken Fred Astaire rant scene is worth it alone imo.

Spoiler

"I shouldn't drink, you know. I inevitably say something brilliant."

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

Thinking of watching the film Hostiles today.

Anyone recommend it?

Partly filmed at Ghost Ranch in New Mexico, Georgia O'Keefe's former home. Landscapes should be stunning then.

I was there a couple of weeks ago flying my drone around until the wind grabbed it a took it flying towards a set of buildings ?

Let us know if it's worth a watch.

On 15/08/2018 at 15:11, Wainy316 said:

What is the most devastating scene in film history?  Johnny 5 being smashed up or the poor Toon Shoe being put into the dip in Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

I found Johnny 5 getting bashed in utterly horrific as a kid. 

The answer is probably the subway scene in Irreversible, though. 

• Like 1

On 15/08/2018 at 15:11, Wainy316 said:

What is the most devastating scene in film history?  Johnny 5 being smashed up or the poor Toon Shoe being put into the dip in Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

Not a film but I got really sad when Fraser was tricked into going down an alley and beaten up in Due South. 

I watched Jason Bourne again.  I swear every Bourne film I've slept through when watching it the first time, then really enjoyed it when giving it another go and this was the same.  There's something about Alicia Vikander as well, it's like her face is so perfect it's been made using a computer algorithm or something.  Could do without the background music throughout though.  Perhaps it's the same in the previous four films and I've just not noticed it as much, but it's a little annoying.

1 hour ago, hogso said:

I found Johnny 5 getting bashed in utterly horrific as a kid. 

The answer is probably the subway scene in Irreversible, though. 

Well yeah, but Toon Shoe may have affected me as much as a 6 year old as Irreversible did as a 20 something.

4 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Partly filmed at Ghost Ranch in New Mexico, Georgia O'Keefe's former home. Landscapes should be stunning then.

I was there a couple of weeks ago flying my drone around until the wind grabbed it a took it flying towards a set of buildings ?

Let us know if it's worth a watch.

Sure, will do.

1 hour ago, Troglodyte said:

Watched Jackie Brown tonight. I've seen it before but that was roughly ten years ago. Brilliant film.

"Is she dead?"

"I, I, I.."

"Yes, or no, is she dead?"

"Pretty much"

True Romance was another one written by Tarantino I enjoyed.

On 14/08/2018 at 10:24, tonyh29 said:

Saw Unfriended last night

it's not being reviewed well but it's a decent effort , I feared the worst when the cinema was full of teenage kids who were babbling  away and using their phones during the first few minutes , but even they soon got sucked into the film and became engrossed in it

few shocks , twists and turns , some Final destination style deaths , all highly improbable , but hey welcome to Hollywood

It's not the best film you'll ever see , but worth a watch and i and my fellow cinema audience all enjoyed it

Unfriended? I swear that was out a few years ago?

Â