The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

The new Spike Lee movie the Black Klansman is a little disjointed and the pacing is not good.

It's billed as more of a comedy than it actually is. After the film ends there is footage from the neo-nazi march Charlottesville last year. The film has been timed to be released on the one year anniversary.

The Limehouse Golem - slow, po-faced and predictable.

Bill Nighy sleepwalks through the film and Danny Mays character was pretty pointless along with other characters which were underwritten.

A shame as it could've been so much better. Both The Alienist and Ripper Street are far more superior and worth watching. 

You Were Never Really Here (Joaquin Pheonix) is really quite good. Missed it first time around but really enjoyed it. Very dark, slightly unhinged but very watchable. 

Also finally caught up with Shape of Water (loved it) and I Tonya (less so) over the weekend. Isle of Dogs was probably my favourite movie of my weekend movie binge-athon though. Loved it. 

• Like 1

The trailers for the Christopher Robin film.....it might just be me but does pooh bear look just a little bit creepy, compared to his cartoon/book image ?

I don't think it's just you, I've heard others refer to him as looking like a robot. I understand the story of the film revolves around time having moved on, so Pooh and friends are very well loved, tired, and a bit tatty at this point. With that in mind, I don't think he looked too unusual. It would be a curious plot twist should 'the Pooh' reveal itself to be a murderous cybearg, intent on erasing Christopher Robin from existence.

Just watched Patient Zero with Natalie Dormer and Stanley Tucci.

Had moderate hopes for this one but it was pretty close to awful.

4-5/10 WNB (aside from Dormer)

Just a nothing film.

watched few films in last few days

The Meg - what you are expecting. Ridculous but entertaining

Mission Impossible 6(i think ive lost count) enjoyable but also forgettable. They are light entertainment but have to say ive seen them all and cant remember any of the plots except the 1st

Big Short - Great film and well acted and well told

Secret in their Eyes - American remake, MEH. its not awful but its nothing new on the original and some of it is rehashed

Watch Meg with the boy at the weekend , silly fun with a few nods to Jaws (of course) , some awful dialogue  , stereotyped characters but hey I've seen worse  and I quite enjoyed it  

Watched "All the way" last night on TV , the dad from Malcolm in the middle has come a long way  :) , quite  along film but never boring and Cranston plays the role well... bit of an eye opener for me on LBJ ... I'll be honest and thought he was nothing more the President who smashed a few hippies heads in over Vietnam , but the film focussed on the civil rights bill and his work in achieving something Kennedy would have arguably failed on ....well worth a watch

Agree with the consensus about 'The Meg', it's pretty cliched and I doubt I'll remember it for very long, but it's entertaining and certainly passed the time on a wet Sunday. Best moment: Statham repeatedly plunging into the sea in a comically-exaggerated 'dive' pose. Biggest disappointment: Statham and the Chinese lass don't even kiss, let alone knock boots. I'm worried that this new era of Chinese co-funding is going to be a new era of Hollywood puritanism. 

Completely different, I also watched a documentary called 'Did You Wonder Who Fired The Gun?' over the weekend. It's made by a guy who has discovered that his great-grandfather murdered a black guy in his Alabama grocery store in the 1940's, and he goes back to Alabama to try and find out more about it. Definitely not for everyone - it's all in black and white, and there's a hell of a lot of voiceover, but it's pretty creepy and there's a fantastic section in the middle where a civil rights leader from the King era talks about a school boycott he organised which is fascinating history. 

Saw Unfriended last night

it's not being reviewed well but it's a decent effort , I feared the worst when the cinema was full of teenage kids who were babbling  away and using their phones during the first few minutes , but even they soon got sucked into the film and became engrossed in it

few shocks , twists and turns , some Final destination style deaths , all highly improbable , but hey welcome to Hollywood

It's not the best film you'll ever see , but worth a watch and i and my fellow cinema audience all enjoyed it

3 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Saw Unfriended last night

it's not being reviewed well but it's a decent effort , I feared the worst when the cinema was full of teenage kids who were babbling  away and using their phones during the first few minutes , but even they soon got sucked into the film and became engrossed in it

few shocks , twists and turns , some Final destination style deaths , all highly improbable , but hey welcome to Hollywood

It's not the best film you'll ever see , but worth a watch and i and my fellow cinema audience all enjoyed it

Dark Web?

I enjoyed the first one (despite some reservations I thought it was cleverly done) so I might give this one a go too.

9 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Dark Web?

I enjoyed the first one (despite some reservations I thought it was cleverly done) so I might give this one a go too.

yeah that's the one .. didn't realise there was a previous film  ?

12 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

yeah that's the one .. didn't realise there was a previous film  ?

Yeah, just called Unfriended. About 3 or 4 years ago iirc. As I say, I quite enjoyed it as I liked the concept.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

What is the most devastating scene in film history?  Johnny 5 being smashed up or the poor Toon Shoe being put into the dip in Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

Bambi’s mum. 

Â