The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

2 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

Just about to watch Extinction on netflix. Out today. Hoping it’s not another ‘How it Ends’.

Well, it wasn’t great but wasn’t rubbish either. Boring first 20 minutes or so, picked up the pace a bit, decent little twist and a bland ending. 

It’s well made, cohesive and all makes sense by the end and everything but it’s just a bit ‘meh’. Miles better than netflix’s last few sci-fi outings however. Worth a watch at least if you’re struggling to find something.

6.5/10

Watching a film called dark crimes with jim carrey. He plays a real serious role in this film. Bit slow so far...

Also just watch escape plan 2...don't just don't. No wonder why Arnie never came back.

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Watching a film called dark crimes with jim carrey. He plays a real serious role in this film. Bit slow so far...

Also just watch escape plan 2...don't just don't. No wonder why Arnie never came back.

Dark crimes was one of the worst films I’ve seen in years, laughably bad.

Edited by AVFCDAN

10 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

Dark crimes was one of the worst films I’ve seen in years, laughably bad.

I turned it off after 30 minutes. It was so bad. Can't believe jim Carrey agreed to star in that film.

It's awful 

9 hours ago, Hornso said:

Watched Catfish The Movie. Very watchable, a bit deeper than I thought it was going to be.

That's a great doc. Although I've always been a little sceptical about it's authenticity.

• Like 1

I watched The Revenant for the first time on Saturday.

I thought it was really bloody good. For some reason it's been one of those films I've been really reluctant to see, but couldn't tell you why. Good cast, good reviews, interesting story. but something just told me not to watch it.

Anyway, glad I did. Very long but to be honest it flew by. My only real criticism were some of the plot points were a little predictable, but didn't really spoil anything.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I watched The Revenant for the first time on Saturday.

I thought it was really bloody good. For some reason it's been one of those films I've been really reluctant to see, but couldn't tell you why. Good cast, good reviews, interesting story. but something just told me not to watch it.

Anyway, glad I did. Very long but to be honest it flew by. My only real criticism were some of the plot points were a little predictable, but didn't really spoil anything.

Great podcast about Hugh Glass from well before the movie if you’re interested. Has some truths the movie omitted.

http://thedollop.libsyn.com/dollop-x-hugh-glass

Dave Anthony and Gareth Reynolds discuss legendary American mountain man Hugh Glass

They also do a good one on PT Barnum which probably paints him in a bit of different light compared to The Greatest Showman or whatever the movie is called (haven’t seen it).

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Hornso said:

They also do a good one on PT Barnum which probably paints him in a bit of different light compared to The Greatest Showman or whatever the movie is called (haven’t seen it

I imagine there was an awful lot less singing in reality...

• Haha 2

Over the weekend watched

Tomb Raider - IT'S JUST LIKE THE GAME! Repeat for 2 hours. Completely fine action film. I do think Vikander isn't quite right for the role, she does everything perfectly well but she doesn't look like Lara to me. She's not got the right build (and I don't just mean the tits), too thin for modern day Lara. A decent Sunday watch, but nothing special.

John Wick 2 - it's great and the series has always been great. It's also great looking on UHD Blu-ray.

Blade Runner 2049 - I really liked this at the cinema. Having now seem it a couple of times more, I think it might be a masterpiece. It's only flaw is Leto, who is underwritten and overacted. Otherwise it's absolutely brilliant. Even manages to do something interesting with a romance scene with some bloody great visuals, imperceptible morphing between 2 characters is just a fantastic effect. The entire film is gorgeous. Superb and holds up to repeat viewings.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Blade Runner 2049 - I really liked this at the cinema. Having now seem it a couple of times more, I think it might be a masterpiece. It's only flaw is Leto, who is underwritten and overacted. Otherwise it's absolutely brilliant. Even manages to do something interesting with a romance scene with some bloody great visuals, imperceptible morphing between 2 characters is just a fantastic effect. The entire film is gorgeous. Superb and holds up to repeat viewings.

Exactly this.

I'm on my 6th watch of it now and I love it a little more every time. After my huge reservations of there ever being a sequel I'm actually glad they made it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

That's a great doc. Although I've always been a little sceptical about it's authenticity.

I am a big fan of the tv show but haven't seen the film yet. I have had my doubts about the authenticity too hence why I have not seen the film.

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I am a big fan of the tv show but haven't seen the film yet. I have had my doubts about the authenticity too hence why I have not seen the film.

Film led me to the TV show which is basically my reality TV show guilty pleasure.

Surprised people doubt the authenticity though. In a world of reality TV nonsense their authenticity as people is what makes it for me. Especially Max.

Although 6-7 series in you can tell their enthusiasm has dropped off a bit.

18 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

Film led me to the TV show which is basically my reality TV show guilty pleasure.

Surprised people doubt the authenticity though. In a world of reality TV nonsense their authenticity as people is what makes it for me. Especially Max.

Although 6-7 series in you can tell their enthusiasm has dropped off a bit.

Funnily enough I don't doubt the authenticity of the show. it's just the film.

Â