The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

2 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

VT film peeps.

Do I need to watch Prometheus before Alien Covenant or doesn't it matter? 

Depends on how invested you are in the series. If you're not an Alien fanboy then it probably doesn't matter. 

As someone who loved Alien & Aliens I hated both Prometheus & AC - although they look pretty in spots there are major, major plot holes everywhere.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

VT film peeps.

Do I need to watch Prometheus before Alien Covenant or doesn't it matter? 

You'll get more from it if you've seen Prometheus, but it's not absolutely vital. Covenant is a sequel to Prometheus, there are returning characters and scenes (well, scene) that er... bridge the gap... between the two.

I'd probably watch Prometheus first, but watching that isn't going to make Covenant any better.

You'd probably be better off watching something else. Prometheus is a pretty movie with some fun ideas but is unsatisfying and a complete mess in many regards, and Covenant is just a bit crap and doesn't even look good. And it barely closes off the plot strands Prometheus starts. Prometheus ends with pure sequel set up, and then Covenant resolves that almost entirely with a single scene, because Covenant is clearly not the sequel Prometheus was set to have and instead they fudged a link between them at the last minute.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

Just watched Wonderwoman.... if this is the best that DC is currently making then I'm in no desire to watch Batman vs Superman or Justice League.

If there is a DC-only scale, then Wonder Woman is a 10, BvS is a 1, and JL is a 4.

Basically just watch Infinity War 3 times instead.

Edited by ender4
  • Like 2

It's always amused me that Wonder Woman basically redoes one of the less lauded Marvel films and that still made it the best thing DC has done in their universe.

15 minutes ago, Chindie said:

It's always amused me that Wonder Woman basically redoes one of the less lauded Marvel films and that still made it the best thing DC has done in their universe.

Captain America?

8 hours ago, Chindie said:

I haven’t seen it, that’s what DC should be doing. Build up an affinity with the characters with their own movies, like marvel did with Iron Man, Thor and CA. Once that is done you can then bring them together. 

DC tried to jump on the popularity of comic book movies and have their own “super  group”,  but failed to build up the characters first. Didn’t they just do superman as individual films before Suicude Squad/ Batman vs Superman? (I’m not classing dark knight as these film group).

3 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

I haven’t seen it, that’s what DC should be doing. Build up an affinity with the characters with their own movies, like marvel did with Iron Man, Thor and CA. Once that is done you can then bring them together. 

DC tried to jump on the popularity of comic book movies and have their own “super  group”,  but failed to build up the characters first. Didn’t they just do superman as individual films before Suicude Squad/ Batman vs Superman? (I’m not classing dark knight as these film group).

They absolutely should have copied Marvel with solo films building to a team up, I agree there. They rushed to get to 'the big money' and to catch up and **** it. They should have introduced the characters and built them in their own films to let the characters develop towards the big event. Doing it the other way around doesn't work.

With Wonder Woman my point though is more that they very closely aped the first Cap movie, which, whilst I really like it, isn't usually rated as one of the best films in the MCU. It's funny that they can be heavily inspired by a film very few people really like from their rival and it's still the best thing DC has done.

12 hours ago, Chindie said:

Yeah it's quite similar to The First Avenger. 

I was thinking it was like a bad version of that film whilst watching it, except for worse acting, writing and directing.

19 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Some mindless nonsense on freeview to lighten the mood. Still needs more Claire Forlani.

64BA6E08-CC41-407D-9257-24ECF8E5D9FD.jpeg

Search for The Rock Cinema Sins on YouTube, this is one of their best. If anyone likes that I recommend the showgirls one, my personal favourite.

Re-watched World War Z on the telly. 

It really is a shower of shit when you consider the source material.

Of all the things they could have done with that book they turned into this crap.

Film might as well have been named Pippi Longstocking for the similarities it has with the book.

They just wanted a popular name to slap on their rubbish film.

• Like 1

Jumanji new version. Good fun easy viewing film.

Rock plays the rock, but as always does it well. Has learnt to laugh with himself.. the smouldering look gag.

Jack Black not as annoying as usual, thought he played a spoilt teenage girl well. 

Karen Gilan was good and looked amazing. 

Kevin Hart was probably the weaker link.

Well worth a watch 

• Like 1

On 27/05/2018 at 21:18, sne said:

Re-watched World War Z on the telly. 

It really is a shower of shit when you consider the source material.

Of all the things they could have done with that book they turned into this crap.

Film might as well have been named Pippi Longstocking for the similarities it has with the book.

They just wanted a popular name to slap on their rubbish film.

i liked it, i think they just tried to take the world out of the book rather than some of the interviews and stories, the problem is they didnt take enough but then i dont know how you do that in a summer blockbuster, there was too much time given to detailing where it came from and how to stop it, not enough time given to this is what would happen during the crisis and the end of the world

i thought they had established it well enough to make another film where they could introduce a new set of characters and more drama and political stuff to it, 2nd film does south africa and other countries, make it a global film with an ensemble cast, same time as the brad pitt film but a different set of stories

unfortunately the production costs will be sky high (1st one was $190m) and they need a star to sell the film, guess who owns the book rights? a certain brad pitt...he is signed up to do the 2nd one too

• Like 1

Â