The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

4 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

It really pains me to say it but Annihilation is very meh.

I love Natalie Portman but I just didn’t connect with her character at all, felt she was totally wrong for the lead role here.

Dissapointed

One of the worse movies I've seen. Natalie Portman must be afflicted with the Oscar curse, cuz she's done feck all since winning one. She doesn't even look as attractive as she once did, that sultry thing she used to have going on as run it's course.

She was some precocious talent back in the day, who can forget Leon ? Even though it seemed a tad noncey, she tore up the screen. Not so much these days, unfortunately.

I didn’t think Portman was an issue in Annihilation. The supporting characters/cast and their motivations maybe, but its main problem for me was just how paint by numbers and uninventive it felt until the final few scenes. Gang goes on expedition into uncharted territory, get attacked by creatures and picked off one by one. Been done a million times before (and much better) and had promised so much more. Not terrible by any means but a huge disappointment. 

I thought Annihilation was a very decent sci-fi.

Nothing groundbreaking, and certainly many elements that have been seen before, but it held my attention for the duration and was well acted (nice to see Portman give a good performance) and very well shot indeed with some great sequences in 'The Shimmer'.

I really, really liked the bit where:

Spoiler

The bear had incorporated Cass's vocal chords / voice

All in all, not Garland's best work by a long way but not too shabby either.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Designer1 said:

All in all, not Garland's best work by a long way but not too shabby either.

I think that was the problem for me, my expectations were so high and they really weren't met here.

On 19/03/2018 at 00:02, Zatman said:

the new Joaquin Phoenix movie is one of worst things I have seen at the cinema. Awful plot and characters. I think he actually based his character on Roy Keane even down to the beard

joaquin-phoenix-you-were-never-really-he

tumblr_oyzj55Fl7B1s5q8vco2_r1_250.gif (245×138)

Sequel to Sicario

Villeneuve isn't directing but is replaced by Stefano Sollima (Gomorra), Taylor Sheridan (Wind River, Hell or High Water) wrote the screen play.

Quite liked the first one so hopefully this one is more of the same.

6 minutes ago, sne said:

Sequel to Sicario

Villeneuve isn't directing but is replaced by Stefano Sollima (Gomorra), Taylor Sheridan (Wind River, Hell or High Water) wrote the screen play.

Quite liked the first one so hopefully this one is more of the same.

I gotta say, I found Sicario one big anti - climax. Didn't match the hype, for me.

• Like 1

Red Sparrow last night .... Jennifer Lawrence doing what she does best , getting her flesh out on camera ... her legs are a bit chunky she's going to get some serious cellulite when she's older  :)  but she's still very much a WB

As a spy movie its sorta been done before , though clearly the Russian female agent line means she can do things to other agents that George Smiley could never do 

Decent effort , keeps you entertained and worth a watch , just don't go with your grandma  ....

28 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Red Sparrow last night .... Jennifer Lawrence doing what she does best , getting her flesh out on camera ... her legs are a bit chunky she's going to get some serious cellulite when she's older  :)  but she's still very much a WB

As a spy movie its sorta been done before , though clearly the Russian female agent line means she can do things to other agents that George Smiley could never do 

Decent effort , keeps you entertained and worth a watch , just don't go with your grandma  ....

Not seen the film, but I've read the book. She (JL) doesn't seem like a good casting based on the book character. She's a good actor mind. Were there recipes in the film? 

42 minutes ago, blandy said:

Not seen the film, but I've read the book. She (JL) doesn't seem like a good casting based on the book character. She's a good actor mind. Were there recipes in the film? 

didn't noticeably spot any  but I've not read the book and gather that recipes are included in the title of each chapter ( and referenced ) ?

Edited by tonyh29

13 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

didn't noticeably spot any  but I've not read the book and gather that recipes are included in the title of each chapter ( and referenced ) ?

At the end of each chapter there's a recipe given for whatever meal/food was eaten in the chapter. At some point part way through reading the book, I started thinking Hmm, I wonder what's in that meal (quite a few meals are Russian or Finnish or Greek or whatever, so I had no idea)  - like a mini mystery within a mystery.

Rewatched Logan today. I don't think I'd seen it since seeing it at the cinema, but it really stands up. Everyone in it is fantastic, the action sequences are all great, it looks brilliant, the plot is simple but let's the film play with Western tropes to great effect. About the only thing I can criticise is the choice of adversary in the final act, but you can even see why they did that.

Really, really great stuff. It's no shock the screenplay got an Oscar nod.

• Like 2

I cant have stephen merchant in it personally, probably lost on the majority of the audience but to me he just sounds like a muppet

Thats more or less my only lingering criticism, the villain of the final act didnt annoy me on repeat viewings once id got over my original disappointment in the cinema 

I quite like Merchant as Caliban. It's a nice take on a really low end character, who has 1 pretty shitty ability and is otherwise hamstrung by his condition to a mundane life, versus Logan who is supremely capable but ailing and can't live a normal life despite every effort. Merchant, with his gangly looks and protruding eyes, and the slightly curmudgeonly accent and temperament, fits really well.

• Like 1

Â