The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

38 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

Do Disney get Deadpool ? I really hope they don't nerf him.

They get basically everything Fox has, including Deadpool, who is part of the X-Men rights. There's possibly some issues with some of the rights where there may be other interests (ala Hulk and Namor - Marvel don't have all the rights to them for instance but can use them), but Deadpool should be theirs entirely. The second film is nearly done iirc so I doubt they'd do much with that. Going forward? Shrug.

• Like 1

just watched Headhunters - available on iplayer for another day only. Great, if also daft, Norwegian thriller -  based on a Jo Nesbo book I think. Cracks along swiftly, some somewhat disbelief suspending required but it is entertaining

• Like 2

Atomic Blonde.

One of the bloke's that brought us John Wick goes all 80s with an end of Cold War spy yarn based on the graphic novel The Coldest City. Charlize Theron plays a British spy sent to Berlin at the death of the Cold War to secure an item of great importance after a fellow British spy is murdered. Soon she is embroiled in a plot to smuggle a defector across the Wall whilst dodging the Stasi and the Soviets finest.

Missed it at the cinema but just watched at home and rather enjoyed it. You can tell it was made by a former stunt guy and based off a comic, it's basically all surface and aesthetic, the plots so thin if you can't see where its going you're not trying hard enough, and it has that stylised look of something that wants you to know it's both more real than superhero stuff but also not actually based in reality. A film that never knowingly under uses neon.

But it's fun. It sounds great with the appropriate 80s soundtrack sprinkled with some choice remixes, looks the part, the action is very well done and there's not much wrong besides the fact the thing has a script you could poke a flump through. Oh and a slightly flabby second act that gets into very thin 'spy talk shit' for a bit that drags. But otherwise it's a nice flippant but of fun.

Recommended.

• Like 2

On 12/14/2017 at 12:24, Chindie said:

Disney confirm they've bought 21st Century Fox's 'entertainment assets'. 

There's definitely problems with Disney owning too much now, but the comic book fan in me can't deny I'm excited for the prospects they have to mine for the MCU. Less the Xmen stuff, more the bits and bobs associated with stuff like the F4. Doom can take his place as an Avengers villain finally.

So do Disney now own the MCU?

7 minutes ago, ender4 said:

So do Disney now own the MCU?

They already owned the MCU. MCU stuff is stuff Marvel Studios produce themselves, starting with Iron Man in 2008. Disney own Marvel entirely. 

They didn't own any movie rights that Marvel had sold when they nearly went bust in the 90s and hadn't had revert to them - basically Xmen and Fantastic 4 and related properties, which Fox had, and anything Spiderman, which Sony has, and a few weird outliers like the Hulk where the rights are complicated (they can use the Hulk in team ups but solo movies have to be distributed by Universal Pictures, which Disney doesn't like).

The purchase now means they basically own the rights to all the Marvel stuff outside of Spiderman (which they have a deal to use for a while anyway). So the MCU can basically now do more or less anything the comics have ever done because they can use nearly any character as they want.

What that means for the existing Xmen stuff Fox was making, who knows, as they're just starting to produce a new film, Dark Phoenix. But it's safe to assume we'll have a version of Wolverine rocking up in an Avengers movie eventually. And better it pretty much means they don't need to worry about big villains again because most of them lay with the Fox rights.

• Like 1

On 12/14/2017 at 07:24, Chindie said:

Disney confirm they've bought 21st Century Fox's 'entertainment assets'. 

There's definitely problems with Disney owning too much now, but the comic book fan in me can't deny I'm excited for the prospects they have to mine for the MCU. Less the Xmen stuff, more the bits and bobs associated with stuff like the F4. Doom can take his place as an Avengers villain finally.

Dam it.  Well into my cups when I read that the other day.  Bits and boobs.  Who doesn't like bits and boobs.

19 hours ago, Chindie said:

They already owned the MCU. MCU stuff is stuff Marvel Studios produce themselves, starting with Iron Man in 2008. Disney own Marvel entirely. 

They didn't own any movie rights that Marvel had sold when they nearly went bust in the 90s and hadn't had revert to them - basically Xmen and Fantastic 4 and related properties, which Fox had, and anything Spiderman, which Sony has, and a few weird outliers like the Hulk where the rights are complicated (they can use the Hulk in team ups but solo movies have to be distributed by Universal Pictures, which Disney doesn't like).

The purchase now means they basically own the rights to all the Marvel stuff outside of Spiderman (which they have a deal to use for a while anyway). So the MCU can basically now do more or less anything the comics have ever done because they can use nearly any character as they want.

What that means for the existing Xmen stuff Fox was making, who knows, as they're just starting to produce a new film, Dark Phoenix. But it's safe to assume we'll have a version of Wolverine rocking up in an Avengers movie eventually. And better it pretty much means they don't need to worry about big villains again because most of them lay with the Fox rights.

Civil War could have been a lot more fun!

18 hours ago, Withnail said:

Dam it.  Well into my cups when I read that the other day.  Bits and boobs.  Who doesn't like bits and boobs.

I prefer boobs but if its been a while then i'll take a bit

Loving this thread. Got some time off over xmas so looking for good movies. 

Some good ones I’ve seen (many mentioned in here)

wind river

sicario (my fav)

man on fire 

equalizer

The last stand (if your just tired!)

the counselor

All of the ip man films (1,2,3)

mike Bassett ;)

Â