The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

A Bronx Tale

Watched earlier, first time I'd seen it in years. I know it's always been rated quite well but not as highly as it should imo. Such a great film, a 9/10 for me. Great soundtrack too.

9 hours ago, TheAuthority said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I just thought with all the tech around he would be trackable in some way - but that makes sense :thumb:

Spoiler

Yeah you're probably right.

But when Joe pulls Deckard out after the fight, Deckard says something like "I nearly drowned"

And Joe responds with "no, you DID drown"

So I think that was the indication that he should pretend he's dead and just disappear.

9 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Saw the trailer before BladeRunner along with the trailer for "Geostorm"

Couldn't decide which one looked worse.

Also saw the trailer before Blade Runner, along with 'Justice League'. They both looked beyond shit. I don't know what it is about superhero movies, they just irritate me beyond measure. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Also saw the trailer before Blade Runner, along with 'Justice League'. They both looked beyond shit. I don't know what it is about superhero movies, they just irritate me beyond measure. 

Yeah I had the Justice league trailer too. I didn't think that one looked terrible, it certainly looked better than this Thor film.

Some superhero films are good, as I've said before. When they're good they are very good.

But this Thor one looked particularly shit. The "comedy" on offer was, as usual from a comic book film, about as funny as aids.

Edited by Stevo985

Taika Waititi is known for making very funny films, apparently Thor Ragnarok is no different. It supposedly accepts the world and its characters are completely daft and runs with it. And reviews say it's very successful in it's comedy.

Edited by Chindie
  • Like 2

I really liked the Thor ones so far, so if it's more of the same then great. There is always a risk that the comedy get's overdone at the expense of the rest of the film though. I'll definitely will be watching it at some point.

Off to see BR 2049 tonight, having reminded myself of the original last night. I know there were loads of cuts and I presume it's a debate that has spawned more than its fair share of commentary since it's release bu hey, I only saw it for the first time this year, as for Deckard, he's

blatantly a replicant isn't he? I've only seen the Director's Cut, but honestly, they weren't that shy of explicitly saying so

Not exactly a fresh discussion point, I accept. Also , I know peopel bang on about the aesthetics, but looking back it is so phenomenally 80's with the garish neon and synth music it practically jarred with it's own claim to being in 2019. ( An unfair criticism obviously, but hey, that element of it doesn't date well )

Edited by Rodders

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Some superhero films are good, as I've said before. When they're good they are very good.

I mean, this is obviously just me, but I don't really like them at all. I 'enjoyed' the first two Sam Raimi Spiderman films and the Nolan Batman films but without really feeling the need to ever see them again. I wouldn't watch them if they were on television or really under any circumstances unless I was trapped on a coach or something, and those are the ones I liked. I suppose I didn't mind Hellboy either. Every other one I've seen I've hated. 

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

But this Thor one looked particularly shit. The "comedy" on offer was, as usual from a comic book film, about as funny as aids.

Yes, this! Why do they think they're funny? They're just not funny, at all. The 'joke' at the end of the trailer where Thor and Hulk are sitting next to each other goes on for about 20 seconds and is absolutely toe-curling. 

• Like 1

to me it seemed like an attempt by marvel to differentiate each film, they do it with the tv shows too

avengers is still an out and out action film, captain america tried to be a thriller, dr strange had the special effects, guardians added the music, ant man went comedy, id expect black panther to go very hip hoppy, thor never really had his own kind of thing...the problem now is they seem to be trying to add a bit of comedy to thor, they apparently also add synth music, not sure if the films nails the 80s tone of the marketing but its in real danger of stepping on GotG's toes

the only real negatives i've seen of it so far is that it covers too much ground and that the planet hulk side story is better than thors story

im really looking forward to it personally

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chindie said:

Taika Waititi is known for making very funny films, apparently Thor Ragnarok is no different. It supposedly accepts the world and its characters are completely daft and runs with it. And reviews say it's very successful in it's comedy.

Guardians has shown that humour can be successful.  I just hope they don't start shoe-horning crap humour into every nook and cranny in a '... but this shit works' kind of way.  Waititi is a level above what will normally be making these kind of movies, so I expect it'll be downhill from here :P 

5 minutes ago, BOF said:

Guardians has shown that humour can be successful.  I just hope they don't start shoe-horning crap humour into every nook and cranny in a '... but this shit works' kind of way.  Waititi is a level above what will normally be making these kind of movies, so I expect it'll be downhill from here :P 

Even Guardians was overkill though.

Guardians is great, it's a good film. And it is very funny in parts. 

But it's shotgun humour. 1000 jokes and hope some of them are funny.

2 hours ago, Chindie said:

They must have left the good jokes out of the trailer then. Which is good if it's true.

Just now, Stevo985 said:

Even Guardians was overkill though.

Guardians is great, it's a good film. And it is very funny in parts. 

But it's shotgun humour. 1000 jokes and hope some of them are funny.

Guardians had an innocence though.  It was "here's a silly movie".  I expect the others will be 'here's a proper superhero movie that wants in on the 'cool''.  Big difference in tone and expectation there IMHO.

The thing that makes superhero films not funny, is that you know that everyone MUST have 1 funny joke, at the expense of someone else.  So it's like a chain of events which become more unfunny, because you learn when they're coming and what they're going to be. 

The classic example is whenever the Avengers are stood in a room, usually with 1 missing from the scene.  1 will say something about someone else, he'll retaliate, someone else with mention something about someone else and then it goes and goes until the guy missing from the scene comes in and that's meant to be funny because he/she'll say something like "did I miss something??" LOLOLOL-**** off. 

3 hours ago, Chindie said:

I love Waititi's humour. What We Do In The Shadows was the funniest film I've ever seen and Wilderpeople was also great. If it's the same sort of thing I'm in for a treat.

Edited by darrenm

5 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I mean, this is obviously just me, but I don't really like them at all. I 'enjoyed' the first two Sam Raimi Spiderman films and the Nolan Batman films but without really feeling the need to ever see them again. I wouldn't watch them if they were on television or really under any circumstances unless I was trapped on a coach or something, and those are the ones I liked. I suppose I didn't mind Hellboy either. Every other one I've seen I've hated. 

Yes, this! Why do they think they're funny? They're just not funny, at all. The 'joke' at the end of the trailer where Thor and Hulk are sitting next to each other goes on for about 20 seconds and is absolutely toe-curling. 

I don't like them either. The whole genre has basically passed me by. I enjoyed Nolan's Batman's too, but the rest of it all - it's just baffling to me but each to their own.

• Like 1

Right, so Blade Runner 2049 was tonight's viewing. I thought it was great.... eventually. Lordy  lordy it was glacial pace. At times you could sense the audience screaming GET ON WITH IT during some of the slower moments. But by the end on reflection it was well done, connects to the original really well, extending similar themes and the visuals and ambiance was superb.

Edited by Rodders

Watched Hacksaw Ridge tonight, last hour was an assault on the senses after a first 45 minutes of schmaltz and cringe. The middle was ok. Overall not bad, finally became interesting once he refused to pick a gun up in training and got better from there. Garfield is a strange lad, at times he was the world's actor and at others he was exceptional. A generous 7.5/10 based on how much better it got once his convictions were known.

Edited by Ingram85

Â