The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

18486350_1286934208069268_39972326852074

Very interesting movie from Bong Joon Ho (The Host / Mother / Snowpiercer / Memories of Murder)

Great cast, a very eclectic tone and a nicely layered story with some genuinely emotional moments.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Very interesting movie from Bong Joon Ho (The Host / Mother / Snowpiercer / Memories of Murder)

Great cast, a very eclectic tone and a nicely layered story with some genuinely emotional moments.

You didn't waste any time watching this! I'll try and catch it over the weekend.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

You didn't waste any time watching this! I'll try and catch it over the weekend.

One of my favourite directors so yeah, as soon as it appeared on Netflix it went on :)

7 hours ago, Rodders said:

Batman Lego Movie was a lot of fun. Arguably better than the first too.

I really enjoyed it but I thought it was louder and messier than the first one which meant I didn't think it was as good but I'm far more likely to watch it again cos I'm sure there's stuff that I'm going to have missed

• Like 2

The Man Who Fell to Earth was on last night at the local contemporary gallery so my friends and I went.

I love Bowie, but this film is absolute shite. I know it's of its time being from the early seventies but Jesus film and visual storytelling have come a long way since then.

They took an alien film and made it about corporations and the government. The flashbacks to his home planet are laughably bad and their interpretation of alien life is just ridiculous and embarrassing.

The story is cack and it goes on for far too long. After seeing Don't Look Now and realising what a steaming turd that film is, my opinion is Nicholas Roeg is a garbage director who stole a living.

Needless to say, I didn't like it.

Baby Driver next week though. Really excited for that.

MV5BMDA0N2U0OTUtN2U3My00NDg4LTgwNTctZmMy

Well that was terrific fun. Slick, funny and entertaining with Wright reining in some of his usual director 'box of tricks' to the benefit of the overall film. Recommended.

Absolutely superb soundtrack too :)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ginko said:

The Man Who Fell to Earth was on last night at the local contemporary gallery so my friends and I went.

I love Bowie, but this film is absolute shite. I know it's of its time being from the early seventies but Jesus film and visual storytelling have come a long way since then.

They took an alien film and made it about corporations and the government. The flashbacks to his home planet are laughably bad and their interpretation of alien life is just ridiculous and embarrassing.

The story is cack and it goes on for far too long. After seeing Don't Look Now and realising what a steaming turd that film is, my opinion is Nicholas Roeg is a garbage director who stole a living.

Needless to say, I didn't like it.

Baby Driver next week though. Really excited for that.

The man who fell to earth has always been a shit film. Don't look now I disagree about . I haven't seen it in over 10 years but I think its a good film. He directed walkabout as well which was very good

Edited by PaulC

19 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Just watched this. Quirky, enjoyable & really touching in parts.

• Like 1

On 6/29/2017 at 09:19, Designer1 said:

Looks good, going to watch it this weekend. After Bedevilled! 

Watched the most recent Terminator again yesterday. While the premise is not terrible it's delivered so poorly. Glossed to appeal to as many as possible and to build the brand.

1st film was essentially a sci-if slasher film. 2nd was big budget but still gritty.

Rise of the machines, Salvation and Genisys all are too glossy as well as poor story lines. Calling arnie "pops" throughout all of the last one, **** dreadful.

cant see Cameron doing anything with franchise, he had so many Avatars coming out his arse he's forgotten what it's like to make a proper film.

9 hours ago, pooligan said:

Rain Man (1988)

One of the films on my "Must Watch" list which i finally got to watch. As Paul Lambert might say "I thought it was excellent " 

One of the films which established Cruise's reputation as being a bit crap.

But it certainly changed the life of the late Kim Peek for the better, whose own story is far more interesting than the film.

https://youtu.be/DLpCfHH1OVU

9 hours ago, pooligan said:

Rain Man (1988)

One of the films on my "Must Watch" list which i finally got to watch. As Paul Lambert might say "I thought it was excellent " 

Happy childhood memory from this film. 

10 hours ago, pooligan said:

Rain Man (1988)

My daughter was diagnosed with autism at that time. Hoffman plays those type of roles superbly. Brilliant as ratso in midnight cowboy also

• Like 1

Bedevilled

Bleedin' hell! Another cheery bit of Korean cinema! 

Excellent and very violent. Disturbing as well. One part psychological drama... and one part gore laden revenge film.

Great acting performances throughout. 

BedevilledPoster.jpg

• Like 1

On 6/23/2017 at 23:56, PaulC said:

Was that Lady Vengeance. I love Korean cinema

I've done a bit of research and it was actually a film called Confessions. 

I bet @Designer1 has seen it! :)

Â