The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Just now, darrenm said:

It might be but I'm wondering about the bitrate. If both are the same then it's the same quality. Data being read from a BD disc is a digital data stream exactly the same as it comes over an http transport. Just had a look to satisfy my curiosity. BD is max 40Mbps and average around 20Mbps while Netflix 4k is a constant of around 16Mbps so they're pretty similar.

I don't have Netflix 4k. And I seem to recall a few articles comparing both 4k Netflix and a Blu-ray and being able to see the difference. And Ultra HD Blu-ray blows everything out of the water.

• Like 1

Alien: Covenant

What the hell are they trying to do here? It felt like Prometheus setup a great film when it ended and one that I've been waiting 4-5 years now and from what I have seen of covenant so far it looks even more stupid.

I love Danny Mcbride but what the hell is he doing in this film? This isn't a comedy its supposed to be serious sci-fi.

I am disappoint.

Passengers

Firstly I want to say I absolutely loved this film. From the acting to the visuals to the existential questions it poses, it's all great. Credit to the director here as well, the pacing is spot on and the 1 hour 40 minute run time absolutely flies by, it's a tight little film for sure. 

The reviews I saw when it initially came out weren't that great and maybe this lowered my expectations slightly but it's a 9/10 film for me, can't wait to watch it again soon.

Edited by AVFCDAN

The Railway Man - it was alright, but could have been executed more effectively, the story itself is fascinating - colin firth plays a character haunted by torture in japanese internment days and ends up facing his torturer - but, it just seemed to lack any serious emotional quality - amazingly enough. Lot's of blank stares into the middle distance with naff music behind - being particularly unhelpful, at the least it was overused and ruined the goal of setting up his trauma. The chap playing young colin in the camps was good, but the film just never found an effective rhythm passing between present and past, and the torture whilst evidently appalling, remarkably didn't leave much of an impression. Shame all round really. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

Passengers

Firstly I want to say I absolutely loved this film. From the acting to the visuals to the existential questions it poses, it's all great. Credit to the director here as well, the pacing is spot on and the 1 hour 40 minute run time absolutely flies by, it's a tight little film for sure. 

The reviews I saw when it initially came out weren't that great and maybe this lowered my expectations slightly but it's a 9/10 film for me, can't wait to watch it again soon.

Watched this last night and I thought it was an horrendous cheese fest with terrible pacing. The first 20-30 minutes were really good and then it turned to shite. 

The dialog was hilariously bad in places, "we're looking for something big, we're looking for something broken" ha

Edited by PieFacE

watched the founder, story about the bloke who properly franchised mcdonalds and ousted the actual owners, solid film worth a watch, to be fair i didnt actually know how mcdonalds made its money from franchises, assumed it was from profit percentages and selling product to the franchisees 

Spoiler

they own the land the restaurant is built on 

the bloke michael keaton plays is an utter word removed

5 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

Just watched a Danish film called Men & Chicken. Weird, dark, twisted, and very funny.

If you like that one check out his others, particularly Flickering Lights, The Green Butchers and Adams Apples.

All great, all dark twisted fun.

• Like 2

Just now, sne said:

If you like that one check out his others, particularly Flickering Lights, The Green Butchers and Adams Apples.

All great, all dark twisted fun.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll certainly check them out.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

Just watched a Danish film called Men & Chicken. Weird, dark, twisted, and very funny.

What a coincidence.

I rewatched that exact movie tonight :)

If you enjoyed it i can recommended the Green Butchers by the same director.

**edit just saw sne pipped me to the post on the recommendation**

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Designer1 said:

What a coincidence.

I rewatched that exact movie tonight :)

If you enjoyed it i can recommended the Green Butchers by the same director.

sne just recommended that one too. I'll put it at the top of the list.

Â