The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

If I had to **** a bloke ,he'd be top of the list for sure.

Pretty gay. Not bothered.

:lol: Here's Frankie Boyle talking about Germany's Eurovision singer
I mean I'm hetrosexual, but you'd have to be pretty bloodyminded not to shag this guy

Yeah I saw TIH was an anniversary one. Looking at the Iron Man ones it seems very difficult to find them English language, so I'll probably give it a miss and collect them all in regular Blu-Ray - or wait and see if they bring out the first 6 movies in some sort of box set of sorts.

I agree that certain things can become addictive in a way. I remember thinking buying Blu-Rays at all was pointless, why not just buy the DVD, it's cheaper? But I saw the Alien boxset for £9.99 and thought 'why not?' at that price, looks great and the quality is outstanding, now I'm finding myself buying tonnes.

The last couple of years has seen me pick up a pretty surprising bluray collection - never felt they were pointless but they were/are expensive. Thankfully they are slowly coming down. The Alien boxset has basically become a running joke on it's constant deals to be honest, I got it when it was £15 I think... Great set.

The Iron Man steel can be had in English and, I think, in UK region, but that is the Future Shop one, aka the one everyone wants and so you'll never get hold of for a decent price.

There is talk, though, that a 10 disc Avengers set is coming. A lot of people felt it wouldn't happen (because the films are split across 2 or 3 different distributors) but apparently it is, so might be worth keeping an eye out. The US home media release of the Avengers was pinned for the end of September so check up closer to then.

I agree that certain things can become addictive in a way. I remember thinking buying Blu-Rays at all was pointless, why not just buy the DVD, it's cheaper? But I saw the Alien boxset for £9.99 and thought 'why not?' at that price, looks great and the quality is outstanding, now I'm finding myself buying tonnes.

That my friend is exactly what has happened to me I got the alien box set then shortly after I got lethal weapon, die hard and x-men along with other random blu rays

I am tempted to start my horror collection on blu ray but I know that's a complete waste of time cuz I have them on DVD already but I just kind of want them anyway

Drive was my favourite film of last year. It's superb, effortlessly cool, has a great soundtrack, and Carey Mulligan in it. Theres little wrong with it. Completely took me by surprise at the cinema.

Which is part of the reason why I want to see what Mike makes of it. I have an inkling, but I'll be keen to hear the judgement of it.

OK. It's a fine movie, although it perhaps wears its neo-noir influences a little blatantly.

Kiss Me Deadly, Bullitt, Taxi Driver, Chinatown, L.A. Confidential all spring to mind, and at times the (admittedly impressive) style struggles to disguise a pretty hackneyed plot.

But damn, it looks good and sounds good, and it's the sort of film I enjoy.

Four stars out of five.

What you expected?

Drive was my favourite film of last year. It's superb, effortlessly cool, has a great soundtrack, and Carey Mulligan in it. Theres little wrong with it. Completely took me by surprise at the cinema.

Which is part of the reason why I want to see what Mike makes of it. I have an inkling, but I'll be keen to hear the judgement of it.

OK. It's a fine movie, although it perhaps wears its neo-noir influences a little blatantly.

Kiss Me Deadly, Bullitt, Taxi Driver, Chinatown, L.A. Confidential all spring to mind, and at times the (admittedly impressive) style struggles to disguise a pretty hackneyed plot.

But damn, it looks good and sounds good, and it's the sort of film I enjoy.

Four stars out of five.

What you expected?

Not quite but not too far away. I expected a reasonably muted reaction that complained that it's influences were worn on it's sleeve too much and failed to live up to them, and that ultimately it wasn't much special.

Basically, you were more positive than I expected ;)

I've made a prediction for your Tintin reaction as well...

That my friend is exactly what has happened to me I got the alien box set then shortly after I got lethal weapon, die hard and x-men along with other random blu rays

I am tempted to start my horror collection on blu ray but I know that's a complete waste of time cuz I have them on DVD already but I just kind of want them anyway

I'm doing similar now. I have a few Marvel movies on DVD, but went and bought the X-Men Quadrilogy Blu-Ray on Play.com the other day anyways, along with Inception which looks amazing.

Yeah I've been wanting to get the lot in steelbook Blu-Rays but it's going to be expensive!

The Incredible Hulk you can get in Blu-Ray steelbook for £9.99 on play, the others best bet is probably eBay.

Steelbooks are an expensive thing to collect, I can tell you! I've only got... 5 or 6, and a number of them, once they go out of print or become particularly rare, become very expensive.

ok, i have to ask... what the hell is a steelbook?

Not just Blu-Rays - there are normal DVDs in steel boxes as well. I have John Ford's "My Darling Clementine" in one. Not that I wanted it that way (would rather pay less and have a plastic box), but at the time it was the only way it was available.

Games can come in steelbook cases too.

The 'collector' angle has only really come about with the blurays though, and far more films are available as steels on bluray than on DVD, and with games they only tend to be available with special edition releases.

The 'collector' angle has only really come about with the blurays though

Aye. I wanted Band of Brothers (DVD) in steel when it came out but it was only steel in Blu-Ray and paper/cardboard in DVD. But then when the initial sales calmed, they released it steel in DVD and now I have it. Plus I have the Bourne Trilogy in it too. Vehh cool. Can't remember it being an option pre-Blu-Ray.

The 'collector' angle has only really come about with the blurays though

Aye. I wanted Band of Brothers (DVD) in steel when it came out but it was only steel in Blu-Ray and paper/cardboard in DVD. But then when the initial sales calmed, they released it steel in DVD and now I have it. Plus I have the Bourne Trilogy in it too. Vehh cool. Can't remember it being an option pre-Blu-Ray.

Not quite the case. The Band of Brothers boxset was originally released, on DVD, in a tin box as well as the cardboard box, the tin box eventually vanished and you could only get the cardboard one in most stores (much to my annoyance when I finally bought it...). When they rereleased it as a bluray edition they re-did it in the tin and you can find that most places. I believe they've also released it in a cardboard sleeve in a boxset with the Pacific... but I'm not sure.

I've got the BoB blu-ray tin, and very nice it is too. The Pacific one sits nicely next to it on my shelf :D.

But they aren't steelbooks. Steelbooks are a very specific type of case, very different to the BoB tin. More confusingly there are about 3 different types of case that are very very similar to steelbooks but don't hold as much value to collectors.

I can't really see the appeal of special cases. But then, I don't have my DVDs/Blurays/games presented all nice on a shelf or anything. Well, they're on shelves, sure, but theyre just kind of...higgledy piggledy. I filled the shelves above my TV, so started piling the Blurays next to the shelf. Which is a terrible idea, cos if I ever want one that is near the bottom :(

I have FFXIII-2 in a steelcase, but it came that way. And the Enter the Void german Bluray I have is in this weird gatefold thing, but I can't say I really care. What I do care about is what was on the disc. See I'll happily go out of my way to get something that I simply can't get here (Enter the Void has never had an English Bluray release), but just for a case...dont think so dontknow.gif

Â