The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Men in Black 3 comes out next week. Anyone seen the speculation on the budget?

$250m on making it alone. Theres speculation the film's actual cost is more like $375m when marketing and distribution is factored in...

It's 10 years since the last film, which was crap, is MIB a thing any more? This could be another struggler at the box office this year - theres no buzz about it. And it doesn't look that good either. Hmm. I think someone'll have dropped the ball on this'un.

Yeah it's mad. You can't see the money on the screen. Even John Carter (biggest flop of all time) you could see where the money went, it just looked like it went on absolute shit. This looks like a 100m film. They must have wasted an absolute shitload on it. They allegedly started shooting it before the script was finished (crazy), and shot it in 2 distinct bits (which is mad as it basically means you have the costs of setting up the production twice). Add in rewrites and arsing around with the dates and well... this film wasted an absolutely crazy amount imo. It must have.

The madder thing is the old rule of thumb on turning a profit on a film - you need to double your production cost, to cover your other costs. It looks like $375m figure covers some of those costs, but you can bet there will be more on top of that. This needs to be looking at making $500m to be fairly sure of making money. I can't see it doing it.

MIB is just another example of Hollywood milking a dead franchise

It should have stopped after number 1 i expect it to end up like the saw's and for there to be about 10 of them eventually

2024 Men in Black 8.... Will Smith still in it with grey hair

I liked 1 & 2 tbh. But it's been too long between 2 & 3. The sequel (or the franchise) wasn't big enough to wait that long for number 3 and there hasn't exactly been a clamour for it. So yeah I think it could struggle. The only thing that might save it is if there isn't much else out there to rival it (the assumption being everyone has seen Avengers by now) and the fact that it's being released at the time of year more people go to the movies.

Went to see American Pie - The Reunion last night with the OH, whilst it certainly isn't going to win an Oscar's I thought it was a decent attempt. On a par with the first and second movies and miles better than the ones in between. There is a really fit bird in it (called Kara) who does spend quite a bit of time just in a tiny thong :D. 7.5/10 for me.

Which of these films are the best

Shooter, Out for Justice, Cobra, Bad Boys 2, Red Dawn, Point Break, Roadhouse, Invasion USA, Commando, Juice, Harsh Times, King of New York, Menace II Society, Belly

?

One word....Commando!

If you are male and havnt seen it you really need a word with yourself!

Shooter, Out for Justice, Cobra, Bad Boys 2, Red Dawn, Point Break, Roadhouse, Invasion USA, Commando, Juice, Harsh Times, King of New York, Menace II Society, Belly

?

One word....Commando!

I haven't seen (or heard of) ANY of those.

I have had a word with myself, and that word was "meh".

?

One word....Commando!

I haven't seen (or heard of) ANY of those.

I have had a word with myself, and that word was "meh".

I would hazard a guess that the only one of those you would like would be King of New York Mike. It's a very decent gangster movie directed by 'Mr.Hit and Miss' himself Abel Ferrara with a great central performance from Chris Walken.

Surely that Blade Runner sequel will be a disaster. It'll make bucket loads of money which sadly makes it viable, but don't touch a legend unless you're damn sure it'll work. Do you think it's a cash-in or a genuine attempt Si?

Surely that Blade Runner sequel will be a disaster. It'll make bucket loads of money which sadly makes it viable, but don't touch a legend unless you're damn sure it'll work. Do you think it's a cash-in or a genuine attempt Si?

I really, really wish they weren't doing it in all honesty Bri. It's easily one of my favourite movies ever and I think it should be left. However, if it's going to be done then at least with Scotts (and hopefully H.Fancher's) involvement it has a chance to be decent. I doubt very much he wants the superb vision which he created in the original, and the massive following it's rightly garnered in the years since, to be diluted by a poor follow up.

Â