The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I'll cross that one off the list then

why, gives nothing at all away until you have watched it, might even have the wrong film

Edited by Follyfoot

Bond was OK but I dont think its a spoiler but his obsession with Vesper is ridiculous, was a girl he met for at most 2 months over 15 years ago. Rest of the movie was OK, decent acting but an average story. Weak bad guy but that was more the plot I feel.  The most fun character was just a short cameo

Spoiler

Paloma

Spoiler

The female 007 I thought for the hype she had nothing to work with

I quite like The Guilty. Went in with very low expectations but found it pretty gripping. Not seen the original tho. Jake Gyllenhal (yeah I butchered that) was excellent. 

Edited by PieFacE

6 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

There's this really good prison film that I watched about 20 years ago.

Small unknown film. Don't think it got a very big release.

It'll be really difficult to find but if you can, you should check it out. It's really good

I think it was called The Shawshank Redemption

As I was reading this I was thinking "Did Prison Break make a film"? :P

8 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

Honourable mention to cool hand Luke

4 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

With all the prison films mentioned can't believe nobody has said Coop Hand Luke. Absolute classic. 

78XZ.gif

Mr follyfoot knows the score, great film, Newman was brilliant but it's George Kennedy's film 

• Like 2

Another old favourite on TV this evening - The Day Of The Jackal (1973), starring Edward Fox.  Freeview channel 41. It maybe lengthy and perhaps slow paced for some but this thriller stays very close to the book, and is still a very enjoyable watch. 

Another favourite from a similar time, which I actually found on Disney Plus (Star channel) earlier today - The French Connection and The French Connection II, both starring Gene Hackman.  Have loved watching these multiple times over the years and will be watching them both again over the weekend.

• Like 4

MV5BODQzOTc0OTQ3MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzU2

P'tit Quinquin - Comedy murder mystery in which humain remains are found stuffed inside a dead cow, I thought that it was very good, I liked the two main detectives, and the acting from the children from whose viewpoint a lot of the story is seen is very good. Was named best movie of the year for 2014 by Cahiers du Cinéma.

202110734_1-1.jpg?w=720

Come Here - A new film from Anocha Suwichakornpong, who also directed By The Time It Gets Dark, and Krabi, 2562, this one is kind of mixture of those two but has less of a narrative, I really liked it a lot, despite there not being a story to follow as such, what you do see keeps you watching and it has a strong sense of mystery to it.

Y2IB3Cdm6hbMTz3HkSEl7Ss1hVqq7_lLtJu6kSPb

Funeral Parade of Roses - Japanese New Wave film from the sixties, I liked it, especially the way it was edited, apparently a big influence on Clockwork Orange.

Histoire(s)DuCinema02.jpg?1633636290560

Histoire(s) du cinéma - I didn't really understand what much of this meant, but liked the way it looked and how it was put together, a sort of collage of footage from different films and old paintings mixed with interesting sound design - the soundrack released by ECM is bascially just all the audio lifted from the film.

• Like 2

"Many Saints of Newark" for me last night

Really enjoyed it. Not quite what I expected but answers a couple of crucial questions from the Sopranos which I really enjoyed.

Definitely need to know a few things from The Sopranos to get the most out of it imo

I like how

Spoiler

Not only is the revelation that it was Junior that was behind Dickie's death shocking at face value, it's brilliant that he had him killed out of jealousy and being threatened that he was more powerful than him... however it was that action that turns Tony to the mob life and it's eventually Tony who makes Junior and threatens his power in "The Sopranos". Junior did it to himself

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Going to watch a few Basil Rathbone, Sherlock Holmes films today.  Absolutely love them.

Only 14 films made but Rathbone was the very best Holmes for me. I love the opening music, his bumbling but loveable sidekick Dr Watson (Nigel Bruce) and all the eerie locations.

The Hound of the Baskervilles, The Scarlet Claw and the Pearl of Death, I think and perhaps time for one more.

The best Holmes and Watson, only Peter Cooke and Dudley Moore have come close.

• Like 1

Â