The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

im surprised they've never tried to revisit aliens and the marines

"just another bug hunt" must have legs but then they care more about the xenomorph than they do about the characters that arent named Ripley

feels to me like they could do a starship trooper style full blown action shooter set 10 years before with the younger characters, it sounds horrible because they'd royally **** it up but at the same time could work

edit - same as for all the terminator spin offs a proper action film set in the future war seemed so obvious but they made so many mistakes with salvation 

Edited by villa4europe

1 hour ago, Ingram85 said:

Watched BttF 1& 2 the last few nights. The first remains a stone cold classic. It’s flawless imo. Part 2 however, yeesh, it gets worse each time I see it. Genuinely think it’s one of the worst films ever made. Loved it as a kid mind.

Onto 3 next. I always liked part 3. 

It's a decent fun film, and certainly way from one of the worst films ever made. Having said that its by far the weakest of the trilogy. 

As for Aliens and T2...

Alien is pretty much the perfect Sci fi horror movie and Aliens is pretty much the perfect Sci Fi action movie. Both are incredibly good but I think Alien is just slightly better.

T2 just doesn't compare to Terminator for me. Yes, it has some outstanding action sequences and Arnies role reversal is great, but it just loses all the tension and grittiness that made the original such a classic.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

Watched BttF 1& 2 the last few nights. The first remains a stone cold classic. It’s flawless imo. Part 2 however, yeesh, it gets worse each time I see it. Genuinely think it’s one of the worst films ever made. Loved it as a kid mind.

Onto 3 next. I always liked part 3. 

BttF 3 is easily the weak link for me. It's dumb. And it doesn't fit into the perfect 30 years in the past and 30 years in the future that revolves around the first two films. Plus loads of gimmicks like having ZZ top in there.

It's weird because I think 2&3 were made at the same time if I recall correctly. But for me the first 2 feel like the movies that were made at the same time. They feel like perfect follow ons and the way they intertwine with each other.

The third feels totally separate to me

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

It's a decent fun film, and certainly way from one of the worst films ever made. Having said that its by far the weakest of the trilogy. 

As for Aliens and T2...

Alien is pretty much the perfect Sci fi horror movie and Aliens is pretty much the perfect Sci Fi action movie. Both are incredibly good but I think Alien is just slightly better.

T2 just doesn't compare to Terminator for me. Yes, it has some outstanding action sequences and Arnies role reversal is great, but it just loses all the tension and grittiness that made the original such a classic.

I agree with you totally on Alien and Aliens. There almost not comparable because they're so different in styles. I prefer Alien, but as you say they're just totally different movies. One is horror and one is classic 80's action.

Disagree about T2 though. Far the superior film for me, even though I love the original.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phil Silvers said:

Outrageous comment, its all one film imo and an all time great

Michael J Fox Hello GIF by Back to the Future Trilogy

agreed...they're my go-to for a long haul flight...download all 3 in advance and it's a great way to kill 6 hours

What’s slightly odd about Back to the future 2 is that it’s generally known as the one set in the future but really the sequence in 2015 is, what, about 25 minutes long? Maybe a third of the film.

I really like it (and I like number 3 as well). If you’re watching the second one straight after the first it’s going to suffer through familiarity. I suspect when they made it, lots of people hadn’t watched the first one to death so the idea of literally revisiting the first film was a great idea. Incidentally, was that the first time a sequel had done that?

I’d give the trilogy scores of 10, 8, and 8. Probably very generous of me, particularly the last two but **** it, I loved it as a kid. If I was ever going to get all Star Wars fan boy over a franchise, it would have been BTTF.

One thing that annoys me about BTTF is how **** stupid Marty is about being in the past/future. Yeah I know it's a film and it's being done to explain to the viewer who people are. But he's constantly going "Oh my god it's you. You're so and so" and then the person looks confused because they haven't become that person yet.

"You're Goldie Wilson, you're the mayor!"

No. You're in the past. You know you're in the past. You've already got over that hurdle of comprehending what has happened. That guy doesn't know he's the mayor in 30 years

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

One thing that annoys me about BTTF is how **** stupid Marty is about being in the past/future. Yeah I know it's a film and it's being done to explain to the viewer who people are. But he's constantly going "Oh my god it's you. You're so and so" and then the person looks confused because they haven't become that person yet.

No. You're in the past. You know you're in the past. You've already got over that hurdle of comprehending what has happened. That guy doesn't know he's the mayor in 30 years

However, without Marty saying to Goldie Wilson he’d become mayor, would he ever had considered it?!?

But at heart it’s a family film series and a great one too

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Girl Love GIF by Kraken Images

43 minutes ago, Xela said:

BTTF - 9/10

BTTF2 - 9.5/10

BTTF3 - 5/10

I need @Ingram85 to show his workings out on how he reached his outrageous verdict on BTTF2! :) 

BttF 2: Convoluted storyline with their children sucks, future young Biff sucks, future ruler overlord Biff sucks, streetgang/punks violence aspect sucks, the whole future dystopia thing did nothing for me. I don’t know. Part 1 had a lot of heart and warmth, part 2 was just weird. But as someone alluded to earlier, I hadn’t seen them for years and watched them back to back pretty much so maybe that skewed my impressions? 

• Like 2

Â