The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

The Dead Don’t Die (now on Netflix) is a deliciously kooky Jim Jarmusch zombie flick with Bill Murray, Adam Driver and many many more well known actors.

Its terrific as it’s so off the wall - with both Murray and Driver often breaking the 4th wall during their dead pan conversations. 

Tilda Swinton almost steals the show as the peculiar Scottish funeral director. 

it won’t be for everyone but I loved it. 

Edited by theboyangel
  • Like 4

Finally got around to watching Joker. 

Very good but perhaps not what I was expecting. 

Joaquin was brilliant in the role but I'm not sure I see this portrayal as the Joker though. He's meant to be a criminal genius who can match wits with Batman and that didn't come across to me. 

Browsing Netflix last night, I noticed they'd added a few Japanese bits, notably some of the classic Gundam anime stuff.

In amongst it I found a film called 'Rurouni Kenshin: Origins'. Looked alright, gave it a go.

Turns out it's a live action take on a long running manga. This is usually a long way of saying 'absolutely bollocks'. However, to my surprise, this was thoroughly alright.

The story follows a wandering swordsman in the Meiji period of Japanese history (a time when Japan was trying to evolve into a 'modern' nation). In his past he had been a great warrior, carving through hundreds of guys with brutal speed and no mercy, fighting to uphold the Emperors power and vision of this new Japan, as well as acting as an assassin on the side. When that conflict ended, he abandons his sword and wanders through Japan, seeking to redeem himself and atone for the evil he has done by helping people. To that end, he has a 'back sword', a katana with the cutting edge backwards. The plot finds him in Kyoto, where a corrupt businessman is dealing in heroin and looking to control the city by way of gangs of thugs and other talented ne'erdowells. Inevitably he becomes embroiled and uses his immense skill and ability to uphold what is right.

It's not exactly Shakespeare but it's surprisingly good. It's not very anime, to it's credit - mainly it just exagerrates speed, strength, agility - a guy hit with the blunt sword gets thrown across a room at one point, the hero at another moment runs in a curve that is so fast he is almost parallel with the ground and the grass rucks up, he jumps bloody high at one point. But otherwise it's mostly really flashy sword fights with slightly over the top characters (the businessman is a living cartoon, the villains are very 'comic book cool') and nods towards things being a bit supernatural - it's seemingly implied the sword that is abandoned by the hero in his past was actually evil, for instance, one of the antagonists has an ability to actually paralyse someone with fear, etc. I also came away with the feeling that it was very... Western in it's style. It doesn't feel like a Japanese movie, it feels like a well made mid budget Hollywood fantasy movie, that happens to have samurai in it. And is in Japanese.

This scene kinda sums it up.

It seems there was 2 sequels, and I think I'll quite happily watch those as well.

• Like 1

I watched ‘The Comeback Trail’ on Sky the other night. 

I wasn’t expecting much, but I thought with De Niro, Morgan Freeman and Tommy Lee Jones, it might be passable at least. 

It wasn’t. It’s utter shite. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Mike Mooneys says "Eh?" 

Wasn’t funny and had nothing to do with the film you were talking about.  I was watching the onboard video and audio from F1 driver Ricciardo to which every answer was “understood”. Nothing more nothing less. 

• Thanks 1

On 20/06/2021 at 17:48, Phil Silvers said:

Watched Dial M for Murder late last night, superb Hitchcock film and Grace Kelly has to be the, or one of the most beautiful film stars of all time.

Alfred Hitchcock Movie GIF by Turner Classic Movies

^ her introduction to Rear Window is quite possibly the best film entrance ever. The mundane task of switching on multiple table lamps has no right to look so mesmerising.

• Like 1

Was going to tackle Avengers Endgame tonight but at 3 hours my wife used expletives to answer in the negative. 
Instead A Quiet Place. Bloody good. Thought I would struggle with the lack of dialogue but no. Excellent stuff. 

• Like 2

Really enjoyed this last night. Absolutely bonkers but wonderfully entertaining.

Starring a couple of horror icons in Larry Fessenden and Barbara Crampton (who still looks bloody lovely for 62!) both of whom look like they're having a great time in their roles.

spacer.png

48 minutes ago, stuart_75 said:

Still waiting for the Follyfoot review with baited breath.

It got stuck streaming just after the credits. We gave up and going to try again at the weekend. So far I like the fact that he had a tin of tuna for the cat👍

spacer.png

Saw the new Ben Wheatley movie In the Earth last night.

I'm a big fan of Wheatley but this one didn't quite land with me.

It has some great performances (Reece Sheersmith and Hayley Squires are particularly good) - and the atmosphere created is suitably suspenseful, the cinematography works well (harking back to Kill List in many shots) and the first act is quite strong.

Then, around the 2/3 mark, it just sort of falls apart and loses it's drive and identity. The narrative gets sillier and thus loses it's momentum, and the interesting early ambiguity becomes tedious and leads up to a 'is that it?' finale.

It's a shame really, I think there's a good movie in there somewhere.

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â