The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

3 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

Sequel 5.5/10

Just for the final scene I'm bumping it up to 6.5/10

If they could get Dan Aykroyd to do it, I reckon Trading Places would've been better to do a return to.

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Caught Arrival on the TV tonight and I thought it was excellent.

I wonder if Chris Nolan cried watching it as he realised that Villeneuve does his "thing" so much better than he does.

Nolan can only dream about being as good as Villeneuve. No comparison for me.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, darrenm said:

Just for the final scene I'm bumping it up to 6.5/10

If they could get Dan Aykroyd to do it, I reckon Trading Places would've been better to do a return to.

Trading places is a blast, one of my favourite 80s comedies, there are a couple of irreplaceable actors in Bellamy and Ameche, oh and Denholm Elliot, not sure any remake could get anywhere near it.

As for Jamie Lee, well, they can't be matched surely.

• Like 2

On 05/03/2021 at 16:25, Phil Silvers said:

Coming 2 America 

Set hopes and expectations too high maybe, disappointed all in all, few good bits but overall very average. 

Original 9/10

Sequel 5.5/10

Absolutely God awful. Didn't laugh once.

• Like 2

On 06/03/2021 at 01:07, Designer1 said:

Nolan can only dream about being as good as Villeneuve. No comparison for me.

I thought you were both discussing Killing Eve before I googled it🤣

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 05/03/2021 at 16:25, Phil Silvers said:

Coming 2 America 

Set hopes and expectations too high maybe, disappointed all in all, few good bits but overall very average. 

Original 9/10

Sequel 5.5/10

It might have been the drugs, but I was pleasantly surprised. 

I went in expecting it to be complete shite, but I thought it was ok. 

A few laughs, some decent nostalgia, Wesley Snipes and the Barbershop guys were the standouts. 

A narrowly avoided car crash, rather than the 10 car pile-up it could’ve been. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

It might have been the drugs, but I was pleasantly surprised. 

I went in expecting it to be complete shite, but I thought it was ok. 

A few laughs, some decent nostalgia, Wesley Snipes and the Barbershop guys were the standouts. 

A narrowly avoided car crash, rather than the 10 car pile-up it could’ve been. 

He was the highlight for me, especially the walk and the barber shop boys will never get old. I got to the end so it wasn't awful. 

It had an average to poor script overall to me though and wanted it to be naughtier, maybe it wouldn't have gone down well though with modern day standards of humour and correctness, for that reason it felt soft.

• Like 1

Just finished the Accident Man, starring one of our own Scott Adkins. Never going to win an Academy award but if you like this type of thing you will enjoy it immensely. Scott is an assassin whose ex-girlfriend Is murdered Whilst pregnant with Scott’s child by a couple of drug addicts, but everything is not as it seems in one of the most predictable plot twists of all time.  They are making second one so it must’ve done fairly well. As always kicks an incredible amount of ass

Edited by Follyfoot

1 hour ago, Follyfoot said:

Just finished the Accident Man, starring one of our own Scott Adkins. Never going to win an Academy award but if you like this type of thing you will enjoy it immensely. Scott is an assassin whose ex-girlfriend Is murdered Whilst pregnant with Scott’s child by a couple of drug addicts, but everything is not as it seems in one of the most predictable plot twists of all time.  They are making second one so it must’ve done fairly well. As always kicks an incredible amount of ass

Great fun.

Based on a Pat Mills (who has written some belters in the comic world) story too iirc.

On 05/03/2021 at 23:18, OutByEaster? said:

I wonder if Chris Nolan cried watching it as he realised that Villeneuve does his "thing" so much better than he does.

One of my favourite films of the past few years. Absolutely brilliant

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Not! The end is the whole thing!

Arrival for me is a great movie when it's, played very straight, dealing with the situation of interacting with an alien species. And then it becomes a much worse film when

Spoiler

It throws that in the bin and takes the theory of language affecting perception and extrapolates that to the absurd by saying understanding an alien language can make you psychic.

At that point I check out. I get that that's ultimately the story they want to tell, and that revelation provides the emotional payoff of the movie, but to get there the movie takes such a ridiculous leap I kinda hate it. Before that switch, it's an incredible bit of work, after that it's flawed.

On 05/03/2021 at 23:18, OutByEaster? said:

I remember seeing this when it came out , I think that was the most underwhelmed I'd been leaving a cinema since i watched Inception  , which is apt what with your Nolan comparison .

backwards causation .. meh

• Like 2

Can't wait till the world gets back to normal and can get to the cinema and see some top quality films, the buzz, the popcorn etc

The streaming giants have done their best with the content they got made but they can't match the cinema occasion.

• Like 2

Â