The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

46 minutes ago, useless said:

Top twelve favorite first watch films in 2019...

Can't wait to see what you enjoyed watching over the last year. I'll set a reminder to check in next January :D 

• Thanks 1

Network (1976): Excellent stuff and pretty interesting given the way modern media and news has evolved.

The Wrestler (2008): Finally got around to seeing this. A great watch. Mickey Rourke also puts in a pretty good showing.

• Like 2

00400000000-copy-768x472.jpg

Red Post On Escher Street -  I liked it and thought it was an interesting idea for a film

image.jpg

Margaret (Director's Cut) - Liked it, if it was TV series I would watch more episodes

Edited by useless

2 minutes ago, sne said:

Anyone watched the new metal version of It's all gone Pete Tong? It's called Sound of Metal and has gotten good reviews but I have a feeling I won't like it.

Sound of Metal Poster

Have heard promising things about this and quite like Riz Ahmed (particularly after The Night Of)

• Like 2

Just now, theboyangel said:

Have heard promising things about this and quite like Riz Ahmed (particularly after The Night Of)

Me too, and he's been getting very good reviews on this, Oscar mentions even. I just have a feeling I won't like this one. Probably because I expect them to not get the metal part to feel genuine. Bit like when history nerds or military guys point out inaccuracies I guess :D . But maybe that part is only a frame for the drama which might still be good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

As in good or bad?

From personal experience as in WTF! 

Christopher Nolan has out Christopher Nolan'd himself by producing a great looking, well acted film that is borderline incoherent and makes less sense than a Trump supporter! 

• Like 2

Watched Contagion this morning, whilst doing the ironing (living the dream). Although a much more severe disease than Covid-19, there were a lot of similarities in how it spread and the steps taken to stop it. Add in some looting for effect and it was okay. I was with it all the way up until they decided the best way to prioritise the vaccine was to draw a lottery. Wtf was that all about? The other thing that surprised me is that the torys didn’t copy this and charge £10,000 for a ticket. 

1 minute ago, theboyangel said:

Yep, watched this over Christmas and thought it was great.

Nice to see John Hamm play a really unlikeable character! 

yeah I was hoping the lawyer was gonna chin him :)

13 from House looked nicely slutty as well ;)

• Haha 1

Finally watched “Dead Man’s Shoes” last night.

I know it’s highly regarded on here so was glad to finally get round to it. 

Interesting. This sounds like faint praise but in places it felt to me what it would be like if Nick Love made a good film. It was curious as it felt like it was being shown more from the antagonists’ perspective. 

I like Toby Kebbell, if I’m honest, I wasn’t sure about his mentally challenged character. Not sure it would have been done the same way if they made it today.

Edited by Mark Albrighton

5 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

Watched Contagion this morning, whilst doing the ironing (living the dream). Although a much more severe disease than Covid-19, there were a lot of similarities in how it spread and the steps taken to stop it. Add in some looting for effect and it was okay. I was with it all the way up until they decided the best way to prioritise the vaccine was to draw a lottery. Wtf was that all about? The other thing that surprised me is that the torys didn’t copy this and charge £10,000 for a ticket. 

We watched this a couple of weeks back and it was a pretty surreal experience given the state of the world right now. 

Â