The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

On 23/03/2020 at 11:42, Stevo985 said:

Also Tarantino's foot fetish is really getting out of hand.

I'm convinced one of his next movies will just be 2 hours of women's feet

Knew he had a foot fetish but never realised quite how bad until I watched this. The damn song was stuck in my head all day

Watched Underwater this morning because I woke up at 05.15 with f all to do.

It's pretty much a paint by number action/horror flick but since "people in isolated places meets unknown horror" is my favorite movie genre I tend to be a bit forgiving.

It's a mash-up of Alien, The Abyss, Sphere, Deep Star Six and a few other similar movies and it's OK, kinda.

Since I like the genre I'm giving it a generous 6/10

Picked up Disney + trial yesterday

Avengers endgame - 2nd time I've seen it and my thoughts are the same, it wraps it all up well, it could have been a mess with so much going on but it's still a bit boring and doesn't hit the heights of some of the other films 6/10

Jungle book live action - it's the best of the Disney live action films and from memory it's the one that gets the most freedom with the story and script (whereas lion King for example is shit le because its exactly the same which detracts from the film because it can't match the cartoon) for the same reason I think Mulan could (should) be really good if they nail the martial arts choreography, it's a really good film 8/10

Aladin (2019) - really enjoyable and a solid performance all round with a tip of the cap to a proper comic/sinister evil laugh from head evil guy. Will Smith despite a worrying opening scene fits right in. Jasmine on the other hand is a tad bizarre, they get the most caucasian girl possible and then have her not even bother to get into character, despite every other character doing so!

Repo Man (1984) - how have I never seen this before now? Must watch perfect blend of the surreal and silly.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, villakram said:

Aladin (2019) - really enjoyable and a solid performance all round with a tip of the cap to a proper comic/sinister evil laugh from head evil guy. Will Smith despite a worrying opening scene fits right in. Jasmine on the other hand is a tad bizarre, they get the most caucasian girl possible and then have her not even bother to get into character, despite every other character doing so!

Repo Man (1984) - how have I never seen this before now? Must watch perfect blend of the surreal and silly.

How indeed had you managed to miss it before? An absolutely brilliant movie.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, villakram said:

Jasmine was played by Naomi Scott, who isn't Caucasian. Her mom's of Indian heritage, her dad is English.

She's also gorgeous, so who cares either way.

Watched Blinded by the Light last night. 

It's essentially a fluffy rom-com (insofar as any film featuring racism and the National Front can be fluffy). Adrian Mole meets Bend it Like Beckham meets Slumdog Millionaire. I like Springsteen though, so the soundtrack was enjoyable. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 2

I was won over by Blinded by the Light very quickly, so even the potentially cringy 'Big Speech' didn't bother me. 

Saw Manhattan last night. Maybe it's just the post metoo climate, or the knowledge of Allen's own personal life, but despite the beautiful way it is shot - and there are some stunning cinematic scenes within it, the plot with him and Hemingway is so disgusting, it overshadowed the whole film for me. Very creepy.

Watched the Peanuts movie this morning and it’s really quite good, was never a massive Charlie Brown fan when I was young but it brought back a bit of nostalgia, the animation is good and there’s some heart in there, definitely recommended for those with younger kids.

7/10

Edited by AVFCDAN
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AVFCDAN said:

Watched the Peanuts movie this morning and it’s really quite good, was never a massive Charlie Brown fan when I was young but it brought back a bit of nostalgia, the animation is good and there’s some heart in there, definitely recommended for those with younger kids.

7/10

Yeah my 7 year old daughter loves it.

The Forest of Love... I didn't think it was as good as some of Sono's other films that I've seen recently but still very good... Mundane History... reminded me of a Weerasethakful film, which makes sense as some of the people who work with him also worked on this, the director Anocha Suwichakornpong has a newer film called By The Time It Gets Dark, which is also very good... And speaking of Apichatpong Weerasethakul, also watched this short movie by him called 'Blue', which I really liked.

Edited by useless

On 09/03/2020 at 20:43, sne said:

Max von Sydow is IMO the greatest ever Swedish actor with tons of great roles. He plays the lead in probably my favorite Swedish movies namely The Emigrants (1971) and The Settlers (1972)

Based on books by Wilhelm Moberg and directed by Jan Troell it follows a family of farmers during the strife in the 19th century who like so many others at the time decides to leave Sweden and try their luck in America.

The books are amazing and the movies actually do a very good job of telling the story.

It's effin' bleak, like The Road level bleak. 

Obviously it's maybe more interesting to me as a Swede but I imagine a lot of countries had similar stories from that time. 

Highly recommend it for anyone who has 6-7 hours to spare (think there is shorter versions out there as well) and want to feel miserable for most of that time. Movies are in Swedish. 

The Emigrants Poster Nybyggarna Poster

I love those movies, i have ancestors who left for america  during the late 19th century, i know today that iam related to familys who live in seattle and somewhere in wisconsin, but i dont know very much about them.

• Like 1

Â