The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

4 minutes ago, imavillan said:

Read some decent reviews in Saturdays press about Horse Girl on Netflix so I gave it a go.

Wasted an hour of my life before I switched off.

Pure dung!!!!!! 

All about opinions and all that. We watched it last night and loved it. Really strong, original story (hints of Donnie Darko to it) and a cracking performance from Brie. I was still thinking about it this morning and was chatting to a friend who enjoyed it too about the story and in particularly the ending. That's always a good sign for me.

Babe: Pig in the City

Liked it, looks visually good and like the way music is used. Was surprised to read that it didn't do well at the time of it's release, but seems to have developed a reputation as being an underrated film in the following years, directed by George Miller who also directed Mad Max: Fury Road, so maybe the success of that movie caused people to give this one another chance. Plan on watching the original soon, as it's been a while since I've seen it.

The Whispering Star

Another good movie, slow paced, has lots of good visuals of outer space and nice sound design, it's about an android that has a job as a delivery driver, and delivers packages to different planets. lots of the scenes for the planets were filmed in the aftermath of the 2011 Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami, which helped give those segments an otherworldly feel, much of the rest of the film is taken up by the main character being on board her spaceship, performing domestic duties and talking into a tape machine, she slso has a talking computer for company.

Bait

Apparently this is Mark Kermode's favorite film of the 2010s. Set in Cornwall. I think that I quite enjoyed it.

Parasite

Really liked it a lot, propelled along quite nicely, HBO doing a TV series version and Tilda Swinton is going to be in it apparently.

Speaking of Korean films, on MUBI they have a film that was at the Rotterdam festival last year called 'Maggie', and it was so boring I just gave up and turned it off. First time in quite a while I've thought 'nah, I can't be arsed with this'.

1 hour ago, useless said:

Parasite

Really liked it a lot, propelled along quite nicely, HBO doing a TV series version and Tilda Swinton is going to be in it apparently.

That would suggest Bong Joon-ho is involved then as he always casts Swinton in his English speaking films  

I think he's directing it... Recently David Lynch, Sion Sono and Nicolas Winding Refn have all made TV shows so it seems to be a trend at the moment for movie directors to work in the medium of television.

Edited by useless

On 17/02/2020 at 20:49, useless said:

Bait

Apparently this is Mark Kermode's favorite film of the 2010s. Set in Cornwall. I think that I quite enjoyed it.

Parasite

Bait, really enjoyed it. Been to Cornwall loads of times and after watching this realise the downside of my visits . 

Parasite , slice of a completely different culture, gave me a feel of how they live. Great film, best film i have seen in at least a year. 

Watched The Laundromat, the Soderburgh film about The Panama Papers. It's told in a very bizarre fashion, didn't really work for me, intercutting random segments of rich people lives with fourth wall explanations of what's going on. 

Watched 3 films recently, all good in very different ways:

Snowpiercer:  bonkers post apocalyptic violent drama based entirely on a train carrying the last survivors on a frozen earth. Starring captain America. Bloody, violent, crazy, surreal.  7/10

Deepwater horizon: retelling of the oil rig disaster with mark Wahlberg and curt Russell.  Eye opening, captivating. More than simply an eco disaster.  Many workers killed in the name of profit.  9/10

You were never really here:  violent, thug/ killer/ rescuer for hire action thriller in the mould of the equaliser.  But more brutal and much better.  Starring Joaquin Phoenix.  9/10

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Jon said:

Watched 3 films recently, all good in very different ways:

Snowpiercer:  bonkers post apocalyptic violent drama based entirely on a train carrying the last survivors on a frozen earth. Starring captain America. Bloody, violent, crazy, surreal.  7/10

Deepwater horizon: retelling of the oil rig disaster with mark Wahlberg and curt Russell.  Eye opening, captivating. More than simply an eco disaster.  Many workers killed in the name of profit.  9/10

You were never really here:  violent, thug/ killer/ rescuer for hire action thriller in the mould of the equaliser.  But more brutal and much better.  Starring Joaquin Phoenix.  9/10

I quite like that one, not read the comic so can't compare but there is a Snowpiercer TV-show coming later this year. Starts in late May or something like that.

• Like 1

Parasite was brilliant; maybe the best film I've seen for several years. Loved the ideas, the story, the social commentary, the acting, the location, everything. Couldn't be happier about that this evening.

16 hours ago, Rodders said:

Watched The Laundromat, the Soderburgh film about The Panama Papers. It's told in a very bizarre fashion, didn't really work for me, intercutting random segments of rich people lives with fourth wall explanations of what's going on. 

Yeah, I kind of agree that the formal experimentation didn't work brilliantly. Some of the segments were quite interesting, but it didn't cohere into a whole. This is why I both like Soderbergh's bravery, and find him utterly frustrating at the same time.

• Like 1

Saw The Fisherman's Friends last night. Riddled with predictable clichés and corny dialogue and caricature characters. Shame really as there could have been a fun Full Monty type film done if the script etc wasn't so shit. The shanty singing elements were fun and it's well intentioned but yeah, not a good film unfortunately 

Â