The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

On ‎09‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 16:28, villa4europe said:

they went down the paint by numbers rom com route and it ended up being a bit boring

its typical Richard Curtis

Yeah, it was like "We shall not make this a rom com, just a comedy celebrating Beatles' music. We shall not make this a rom com. We shall not make this a rom com. F**k it, it isn't funny. Let's bring on some romance."

Having never been a comic fan I was a bit apprehensive about the Joker film, how silly of me. I thought Casey Affleck in Manchester by the Sea was as good as acting gets, but Phoenix just set the bar even higher. I was absolutely blown away by that performance. They might as well give him the Oscar now. 

9 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Having never been a comic fan I was a bit apprehensive about the Joker film, how silly of me. I thought Casey Affleck in Manchester by the Sea was as good as acting gets, but Phoenix just set the bar even higher. I was absolutely blown away by that performance. They might as well give him the Oscar now. 

Frightingly good performance from Phoenix.

9 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

They are very different roles and I totally agree on MBTS, I don't think I've ever believed someone to be the character they are portraying more than Affleck in that film, amazing performance.

This one is very different but he definitely deserves the Oscar. I re-watched Dark Knight the other day and while Ledgers Joker is good in that film this is better for me.

• Like 1

Terminator Dark Fate is as boring as I expected.

First 10 minutes were actually quite promising but ultimately its existence is pointless and this now ranks below Salvation for me and quite possibly the 3rd one.

It feels like a 2 hour chase scene and not a very exciting one at that. 

5/10.

Hard to Be a God, about a planet almost identical to ours but they're stuck in the dark ages because their reinanssance has been supressed, has to be one of the most unusual films I've seen, it's stunningly shot, but at the same it's really gross... I thought it was very well done and worth watching... (first ten minutes)

Edited by useless

1 hour ago, Rodders said:

that's awesome news, I want to watch them in English with german subtitles so I can force the wife to watch them too

I'm attempting to convert my partner who doesn't "do" animation  :mellow: / thinks they're for kids. She did enjoy Kiki's Delivery Service so hopefully one or two more can break that nonsensical logic once and for all

• Like 1

On 10/01/2020 at 17:13, Seat68 said:

Watched Jay and Silent Bob Reboot. It mocks itself very well, however it comes way way down in my Kevin Smith list but one to watch if you are a fan of his work and the View Askewniverse.  

With you on this, not one of Smith's best, but if you're a fan of the series then there's lot's to love here, laughed my backside off quite a bit but could see someone with little to no previous exposure to the characters being a bit miffed.

• Like 1

I'm attempting to convert my partner who doesn't "do" animation  :mellow: / thinks they're for kids. 

Sit her down and make her watch Grave of the Fireflies with you. If she isn't an emotional wreck by the end then check her pulse 😀

• Like 2

I'm attempting to convert my partner who doesn't "do" animation  :mellow: / thinks they're for kids. She did enjoy Kiki's Delivery Service so hopefully one or two more can break that nonsensical logic once and for all

Persepolis might be a good start? It has a child protagonist, but children are not at all the primary audience, and in fact the subject matter is completely serious. It's a great film too. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Persepolis might be a good start? It has a child protagonist, but children are not at all the primary audience, and in fact the subject matter is completely serious. It's a great film too. 

yes, that's a great shout.  She did like Inside Out, thinking about it, so I am optimistic.

2 hours ago, Rodders said:

Up would be a good one

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

They are very different roles and I totally agree on MBTS, I don't think I've ever believed someone to be the character they are portraying more than Affleck in that film, amazing performance.

This one is very different but he definitely deserves the Oscar. I re-watched Dark Knight the other day and while Ledgers Joker is good in that film this is better for me.

There played quite differently. Ledger's joker was devoid of self - pity and vulnerability, where as Phoenix plays him as a victim of an uncaring and cruel World. As someone who just wanted to be loved. 

4 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Sit her down and make her watch Grave of the Fireflies with you. If she isn't an emotional wreck by the end then check her pulse 😀

Followed by Watership Down just in case there's a shred of happiness lingering in the room.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

Followed by Watership Down just in case there's a shred of happiness lingering in the room.

I still worry that General Woundwart will come for me. 

"Dogs aren't dangerous"

• Like 1

On ‎20‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 12:41, Rodders said:

Perfect Blue.

Â