The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

People keep going on about how good the Jojo rabbit is (not just on here). Is it really that good? Because the trailer made it look like absolute dog shit! I mean like Mrs. Browns boys level of dog shit comedy! But if it's decent I may give it a watch

I wasn't  won over by the trailer myself either but given the people involved I was always going to try it, it's great fun. The humour is more fun in the coherent run of the film rather than snippets cut out of context for a trailer

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bizzzle said:

People keep going on about how good the Jojo rabbit is (not just on here). Is it really that good? Because the trailer made it look like absolute dog shit! I mean like Mrs. Browns boys level of dog shit comedy! But if it's decent I may give it a watch

Guess it depends on what type of film you expect it to be.

It's not a Top Secret, or even The Producers type of comedy.

It's quite sad really, but with a lot of feelgood moments and some black humor poking fun at the absurdity of it all.

The scenes from the trailer are the few slap stick moments, it doesn't lean on them.

• Like 1

Watched The Gentlemen last night and really enjoyed it. In particular, credit to Hugh Grant who played the opposite of his normal floppy haired middle class twit. Quite geezer-ish and good value.

1 hour ago, mottaloo said:

Watched The Gentlemen last night and really enjoyed it. In particular, credit to Hugh Grant who played the opposite of his normal floppy haired middle class twit. Quite geezer-ish and good value.

don't say that  .. having him good in this and Paddington 2 might mean I have to stop disliking him  ..

tbf it's probably not his fault he kept getting cast as someone you instantly wanted to slap in the face with a haddock

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, useless said:

I watched Paddington 2, I especially liked the part where they went inside the pop-up book it was based on the animation style of the original Paddington Bear series...

such a lovely film. I liked it more than my 8 year old daughter did!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheMelvillan said:

such a lovely film. I liked it more than my 8 year old daughter did!

Paddington 3 is in production .. could end up becoming the greatest trilogy ever made :)

• Like 1

On 03/01/2020 at 20:13, Brumerican said:

Only 3 days in but I doubt I'll see a better film this year.

Sucking Fuperb.

Image result for 1917 movie 2019 poster

Watched it this evening. An amazing technical feat and it's got heart. Went through a whole range of emotions watching it.  

• Like 3

On 07/01/2020 at 21:30, Rodders said:

Watched The Lobster this evening. I remember the trailer sparking curiosity when it came out a few years ago, finally got round to watching it. 

I have no adequate words to sum up the insanity of that film. Feel strangely affectionate towards it but I don't understand it at all

I haven't seen that but I watched Killing of a Scared Deer by the same director.

Weird, creepy film.

• Like 1

The Tale of Hoffmann, Technicolor film opera from 1951, found the story a bit difficult to follow but worth watching for how visually stunning it is, Martin Scorsese and George A. Romero both list it amonst their films, Scorsese released the version with missing footage via one of his companies.

I Know Where I'm Going! Made by the same people (Powell and Pressburger) as Hoffmann, very atmospheric film about a woman who goes to the Hebrides with the intention of marrying a rich industrialist,  the scene on the boat made gave me motion sickness, very well done, and a good film overall.

Falling Leaves, short silent film from 1912 about a girl with consumption and her sister's naive attempts to save her, really liked this, made me want to watch more silent films.

Edited by useless
  • Like 2

I saw Alien Covenant on TV last night, it was on the flex of being utter garbage but Michael Fassbender's performance was extremely good and saved the film. It was pretty much a collection of the Alien series cliches and explored themes which have been covered in other movies within the genre. Particularly grating was the CGI which can only be described as horrific. I don't know what it is with modern movies but there's a massive over-reliance on CGI and it seldom looks convincing. The Xenomorph looked comical, nothing scary about it. In the first Alien it was terrifying, no CGI was used, just clever lighting, cinematography and practical effects.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

A couple of films yesterday. Fighting with my family. No interest in Wrestling as I am an adult but this was enjoyable. Surprised that it was based on a true story and all in all entertaining hoakum. 

Last night another rewatching of the 2001 version of Oceans 11. Love that film, never get tired of it. 

Edited by Seat68
Bloody autocorrect.
  • Like 2

The Guilty on Netflix. Stunning Scandi Thriller. The most tension-filled thing I've seen in ages. 

Echoes of Locke/Buried in that it's basically a film about a bloke on the phone but (and I stole this line from a review) it's like the episode of Black Mirror that Charlie Brooker wishes he's conceived. 

On 12/01/2020 at 12:40, Dr_Pangloss said:

I saw Alien Covenant on TV last night, it was on the flex of being utter garbage but Michael Fassbender's performance was extremely good and saved the film. It was pretty much a collection of the Alien series cliches and explored themes which have been covered in other movies within the genre. Particularly grating was the CGI which can only be described as horrific. I don't know what it is with modern movies but there's a massive over-reliance on CGI and it seldom looks convincing. The Xenomorph looked comical, nothing scary about it. In the first Alien it was terrifying, no CGI was used, just clever lighting, cinematography and practical effects.

Im actually a fan of both Prometheus and Covenant despite a lot of criticism of both films.

I thought the themes of Prometheus were really interesting although the film as a whole was a bit disappointing but the vision and look of the film from Ridley was excellent as well as a great performance from Fassbender. 

Covenant was also enjoyable but a bit of a let down as it didn't really follow on from where Prometheus left off. I felt like Ridley bowed to public pressure a bit in terms of making it more of an Alien film and some of the ambition and world building got lost to some more generic alien stuff and a more dumb crew actions to get themselves in a mess. 

Still very interested to see where he goes with the 3rd one because we really need and deserve a bit more than stupid crew investigates hostile planet at this point.

• Like 2

Â