The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

4 hours ago, theboyangel said:

Nice idea but poorly executed with a well telegraphed twist. It all ended a bit sudden too after taking ages to get there.

so it’s meh/10 from me

I thought it was quite well acted, especially the bloke from Narcos.  For a Netflix film it was decent.  I watched In The Long Grass as well which is based on a Stephen King story which was ok.  

• Like 1

Joker tonight , after a recent run of dross , (I’m looking at you Ad Astra , IT 2 ) I needed something decent and by heck does Joker deliver ... yes it’s a slow burn and possibly a tad longer than it needs to be but watching Arthur take one hit after another before spiralling into Joker is just mesmerising and holy popcorn Batman,  Phoenix is just amazing if i were a leading actor right about now I’d be thinking about what else could I put on that small empty shelf near the TV cause it won’t be a shiny gold statue ... I’m not usually one for analysing actors performances but that has to be up there as one of the great performances , almost makes you regret being impressed by Ledgers performance 

• Like 4

Phoenix is a great actor, a bit of an oddball in real life, but I can't think of a performance of his that I didn't like. Have decided to go with my gut and see the film this weekend, I thought the trailer looked intriguing, but then a lot of the commentary and reviews threatened to put me off it, but think I'll need to see for myself. 

3 hours ago, sne said:

Lots of royalties to pedophiles and rapists there

only the Gary Glitter song is genuine on that soundtrack list :)

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

On 07/10/2019 at 22:28, Nigel said:

4 days to go till the release of El Camino, the Breaking bad movie!

Wow this has not been advertised well!

Seat on the sofa booked though!

Working from home today. Didn’t get much done this morning as I was watching this. 
It really struck me how much I missed the show and the characters in it so I loved watching El Camino but I think I need to watch it again as I was all too excited to work out if it’s any good. Felt like a longer episode rather than a film but still loved it. 

The Day Shall Come - Chris Morris' latest definitely has a furious bite to it, but humour is best found with the earnest and harmless "targets" of the entrapment. The FBI lot are annoyingly cartoonish and maybe undercuts the point of the film, allowing people to separate this FBI as obviously fictional evil idiots from the real life version. The lanky clearing in the woods was particularly annoying.

As always with Morris, still very much worth your while though.

Watched Colossal, a quirky low budget but decent ‘rampaging monster’ film last night.

Anne Hathaway plays a party girl who returns to her home town in the states after being ditched by her boyfriend, which coincides with a large monster appearing and destroying Seoul. 

However as the attacks continue, she begins to think she is linked to the beast somehow. 

Different spin on the genre and well done too.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, theboyangel said:

Watched Colossal, a quirky low budget but decent ‘rampaging monster’ film last night.

Anne Hathaway plays a party girl who returns to her home town in the states after being ditched by her boyfriend, which coincides with a large monster appearing and destroying Seoul. 

However as the attacks continue, she begins to think she is linked to the beast somehow. 

Different spin on the genre and well done too.  

I quite liked it as well, felt a bit different and I’ve been a fan of Jason Sudekis since Eastbound and Down.

• Like 1

Hmm, just seen Joker. Not sure what I think. Phoenix is fantastic and in general the film is really well put together. Thought there was some disturbing fanboy shit for the incels of this world, but I'm still processing my thoughts so I reserve the right to change my mind later. I can see why Robbie Collin asked the question he did about copycat behaviour. 

Suspect I will end up falling down in favour of the film, it has stuck in my head so that tends to be good I suppose 

Â