The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

On 27/05/2019 at 12:50, Ingram85 said:

Has the anime always been regarded as crap as I watched it back in my teens and remember everyone bummed off it for ages? Always thought people loved it. I loved it 🤷‍♂️.

Akira or Berserk? I'm guessing the former. 

It's a classic, and rightly so. It's the best possible way to tell the story in 2 hours, as referred to above, the manga is far longer and involves completely different plot lines for the second half in particular. 

The movie is largely responsible for the subsequent popularity of anime in the west - and in turn you could argue that it was also part of the reason why JRPGs gained popularity in the mid 90s.

Other than it's legacy, it's immaculately animated (thanks to it's obsurb budget which was unheard of in the late 80s), has a pretty legendary soundtrack, and is so stylish there's still not really much like it out there. Plus, it gets **** weird, to the point that you really do have to see it to believe it. 

So, bum it? Oh sure man. It isn't a faithful adaptation by any means though, a bit like The Shining in that regard. Both the source material and movies are great, but they're very different too. 

For me though, the sprawling story of Akira requires a couple of movies at least. The suggestion that a faithful adaptation is wanted, but it's going to be one movie, doesn't make a lot of sense to me. 

In the case that you're talking about Berserk, well, the original anime series is terrific, but has the animation has aged (some would say terribly) poorly. The story arc it focuses on, though, features one of the most shocking twists in any form of media I've ever seen, and for that reason it remains one of my personal favourites. The more recent movies are a serviceable shortened version of the original series, with questionable animation choices, but the new series is almost universally disposed. 

The manga it's based on still hasn't finished, as the writer is a somewhat slow worker...but in his work you will find some of the finest examples of pure artistry in any manga or comic, and I promise that isn't hyperbole. Google miura berserk and browse image results, there's some stunning stuff to be seen, almost Giger-esque, but with a medieval setting. 

Edited by hogso
  • Like 1

@hogso yeah I meant Akira. I'm a fan but the article posted made it out like it's cool to hate the original anime whereas I was under the impression that everyone loved it.

Finally got round to watching JP: Fallen Kingdom. Thought it was really good all things considered.

Also contains a scene that even though fantasy fiction and CG, it made my disdain for human greed, how we treat animals and overrall human corruption even stronger. I wont spoil it fully but it's quite a well known scene by now, very impactful and involves a lone brachiasaur standing on a pier by the sea surrounded by smoke. I actually cried. Of all the scenes in all the films I've ever seen it took a cynically but brilliantly shot cg recreation of a helpless extinct animal to get me blubbering. Wasn't expecting it and it hit me hard. 😣

John Wick 3 is so ridiculous its brilliant. Some great supporting acts too especially Dacascos who I only ever saw in what can be described as in films Van Damme or Seagal turned down

Keanu Reeves vs the bad guys looked bizarre since he was twice the height of some of them 

I forgot to post here but I also saw Aladdin over the weekend, thought it was really good as well.

Very surprised by some of the poor reviews, generally by critics it seems.If we are asking why does this film exist then I don't have an answer, its more or less an exact copy of the animation but I think we all know that's what we are going to get with these remakes. If you accept that theres no difference this is a really enjoyable film.Its got the right amount of pizazz without going into cringe territory and all the actors seem to be on the ball wth no one phoning it in, there's a few laughs sprinkled throughout and will smith had a good take on the genie for me.

Was surprised that Guy Ritchie directed it, I was only watching Snatch last night laughing to myself that it was such a contrast to Aladdin.

7.5/10 for me.

Edited by AVFCDAN
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

I forgot to post here but I also saw Aladdin over the weekend, thought it was really good as well.

Very surprised by some of the poor reviews, generally by critics it seems.If we are asking why does this film exist then I don't have an answer, its more or less an exact copy of the animation but I think we all know that's what we are going to get with these remakes. If you accept that theres no difference this is a really enjoyable film.Its got the right amount of pizazz without going into cringe territory and all the actors seem to be on the ball wth no one phoning it in, there's a few laughs sprinkled throughout and will smith had a good take on the genie for me.

Was surprised that Guy Ritchie directed it, I was only watching Snatch last night laughing to myself that it was such a contrast to Aladdin.

7.5/10 for me.

Poor reviews?? Really? 

Unbelievable that was excellently done. Veey enjoyable and for a two hour film it flew by. Will Smith did a brilliant job at the genie in my view

the poor reviews are almost inevitable IMO because its not going to be as good as the cartoon, neither will the lion king, that automatically knocks down the review scores even though it doesn't necessarily make it a poor film

I don't think any of these Disney remakes will be outright bad films but none of them will be better than the original (that goes for the 2 jungle book live action efforts too)

43 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

the poor reviews are almost inevitable IMO because its not going to be as good as the cartoon, neither will the lion king, that automatically knocks down the review scores even though it doesn't necessarily make it a poor film

I don't think any of these Disney remakes will be outright bad films but none of them will be better than the original (that goes for the 2 jungle book live action efforts too)

But I think its silly to compare a actual movie to a cartoon. 

It's like when I watched narnia I loved it didn't care that I loved the cartoon as well. 

I think it's fantastic from the actors the singing the effects the story it was excuted  brilliantly. 

Honestly one of the best films I've seen in a while. I cannot wait for lion King. I need to watch the others like jungle book beauty and the beast after seeing this one. 

jungle book is great, mowgli is ok, beauty and the beast is ok

not bothered with dumbo, that seems like a misstep, not sure how popular that film is anymore and why they tried to bring it back

what they need to be working on is either the rescuers down under or basil the great mouse detective

The live action Disney adaptations have a few problems.

It will always, always, always feel cynical. 

If they change the source to either update the story for modern sensibilities or try to say something new with the story it'll annoy people, and if they just literally remake the animation it raises the cynicism factor even more.

Perhaps the biggest problem? The films they're remaking are, to some degree or another, classics. Films that have in some cases transcended being 'just' films into cultural touchstones, beloved across generations. When you then make a film that is just 'fine', it's unerringly going to be compared to the original as disappointing. Because you're comparing classics to a well made, decent film. The remakes are fine, I think only Dumbo has had anything close to negative reviews, but they're nothing more than that. They aren't the original animations.

As a kid I quite liked Beauty and Beast, in my head the Beast in that animation is iconic. When the remake came round we watched it and it was a good film, but it wasn't the original animation and it was epitomised by something as little as the design of the Beast. They hadn't just made the original design as a 3d entity, they changed it, made him less beastly, less grotesque, more human, more elegant, better looking for want of a way to describe it. And something as ultimately small as that, was enough to put me off the film a little.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Chindie said:

If they change the source to either update the story for modern sensibilities or try to say something new with the story it'll annoy people

I did like Maleficent though, more than the straight remakes

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Chindie said:

If they change the source to either update the story for modern sensibilities or try to say something new with the story it'll annoy people, and if they just literally remake the animation it raises the cynicism factor even more.

Perhaps the biggest problem? The films they're remaking are, to some degree or another, classics. Films that have in some cases transcended being 'just' films into cultural touchstones, beloved across generations. When you then make a film that is just 'fine', it's unerringly going to be compared to the original as disappointing. Because you're comparing classics to a well made, decent film. The remakes are fine, I think only Dumbo has had anything close to negative reviews, but they're nothing more than that. They aren't the original animations.

As a kid I quite liked Beauty and Beast, in my head the Beast in that animation is iconic. When the remake came round we watched it and it was a good film, but it wasn't the original animation and it was epitomised by something as little as the design of the Beast. They hadn't just made the original design as a 3d entity, they changed it, made him less beastly, less grotesque, more human, more elegant, better looking for want of a way to describe it. And something as ultimately small as that, was enough to put me off the film a little.

nail on the head

but for me it was more Lumiere and madame pottine

I do think to a certain extent with the jungle book / lion king they will get away with the added realism but for beauty and the beast the realism came at a cost of the charm

Mulan could be pretty cool but they haven't cast mushu yet and they are tweaking it following criticism of the original in china (cast includes Donnie Yen and Jet Li)

X-Men: Dark Phoenix is, unsurprisingly, a bit of a stinker. Highest praise I've seen says it's better than Apocalypse. That's a bar so low an ant could skip over it.

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

X-Men: Dark Phoenix is, unsurprisingly, a bit of a stinker. Highest praise I've seen says it's better than Apocalypse. That's a bar so low an ant could skip over it.

I had a quick look earlier, 22% on Rotten Tomatoes and 44 on Metacritic, that’s pretty dire stuff. 

Godzilla was widely panned (although I enjoyed it personally) and even that managed 40 and 48 respectively. 

I’m going to watch it, I’ve got an unlimited card and my lad wants to see it, but I’ve got no real interest. 

Be glad to see the door close on the current X-Men ‘world’ and hope to see much better things under Marvel Studios.  

Edited by wazzap24

No surprise for me that most reviews seen to suggest that jean grey is poorly written with a shitty arc and that doesn't work and is poorly directed rather than calling out sophie turner 

Most say it's better than last stand and apocalypse, say they waste Chastain maybe even more than what's his face who played apocalypse, you can tell some of them know it's theblast film and are going through the motions, magneto gets the same role as he did in the last film and James Mcavoy is great in it

Shame they didn't stop after days of future past, this series has been pretty poor, anything that did work they've just rehashed until it loses its impact (quicksilver for example) Lawrence's rise to fame hasn't helped them either

17 hours ago, Chindie said:

I agree. Your damned if you do or you don't that's the issue with Disney remakes. Have to go in with a open mind. 

13 hours ago, Chindie said:

There is a shock. The trailer looks absolutely woeful. I hate these new xmen films they are absolute shite. 

Compare logan to any of them movies and its embarrassing how bad those are next to it. 

Needs a huge reboot

Â