The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Watched this old gem for the first time in ages.

Still really entertaining, like a french Tarrantino-ish comic book heist movie.

Great fun!

still sMV5BMDRkNzhmOGYtYTEwMC00MTg1LTg1ZDgtZDY4NTE4NDc4ZDI3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTY5MDE5NA@@._V1_.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Falling short and being a shit movie? 

No, that the whole movie is specifically about that character and Phoenix's adaptation of the role.

If it was a general batman movie and they were indulging phoenix by giving him too much screen time or something then I'd agree with you.

But this movie seems to be entirely about The Joker specifically, and therefore how Phoenix plays the role is a huge part of the movie.

It would be like saying a movie like Bronson fell down because it was all about Hardy's interpretation of the role.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

The trailer and comments around the Joker origin has me more interested than I was before. I don't think Joaquin Phoenix's take will 'be' the Joker in my head, but I also feel that about Ledger's take, which is fantastic in the version of the Batman universe Nolan created but isn't THE Joker in my head. But that doesn't mean it can't be a good take.

The film has very, very strong King of Comedy vibes, which isn't a bad thing, and Phoenix is almost always an interesting presence if nothing else. According to Marc Maron, who has a minor role in the film, it's a film about a mentally ill person who happens to become the Joker, rather than a film about the Joker, which could be great.

I'm still not sure about the clown makeup. It isn't right, and feels one step too far from the inspiration. Also it has echoes of the John Wayne Gacey thing, which isn't great.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chindie said:

The trailer and comments around the Joker origin has me more interested than I was before. I don't think Joaquin Phoenix's take will 'be' the Joker in my head, but I also feel that about Ledger's take, which is fantastic in the version of the Batman universe Nolan created but isn't THE Joker in my head. But that doesn't mean it can't be a good take.

The film has very, very strong King of Comedy vibes, which isn't a bad thing, and Phoenix is almost always an interesting presence if nothing else. According to Marc Maron, who has a minor role in the film, it's a film about a mentally ill person who happens to become the Joker, rather than a film about the Joker, which could be great.

I'm still not sure about the clown makeup. It isn't right, and feels one step too far from the inspiration. Also it has echoes of the John Wayne Gacey thing, which isn't great.

The King of Comedy thing is interesting as I was chatting to my mate about the trailer this morning and we both agreed it had an early Scorsese vibe to it.

I think it looks brilliant to be honest. Right up my street.

It looks like Leonardo DiCaprio's long in development remake of Akira is finally headed to the big screen! Yes, today we have word that California's $330 million annual incentives program has allocated $18.5 million for a live action version of Akira from Warner Bros. and DiCaprio's Appian Way production company.

Movieweb

The journo didn't really understand the film.

20 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Falling short and being a shit movie? 

I prefer more character driven comic book movies. Like the Dark Knight or even the first half of Man of Steel. Once it descends into a CGI fest which resembles a firework exploding in your face, I lose interest. 

• Like 2

Joker - 1.56 in the trailer you'll see de niro in a second long blink and you'll miss it moment that looks straight out of king of comedy

As for the trailer...after the out there, way too much, almost nonsense of suicide squad this looks intriguing but dare I say it almost a bit boring...maybe the next trailer will reveal more and I'll no doubt watch it but that's not got me excited, seems like they've purposefully avoided the comic book blockbuster route which will be hard to pull off

Finally watched Hereditary tonight.

I'm not a horror movie fan really. I really despise jump scares and I end up finding most modern horror movies are less like carefully crafted narratives and more like theme park attractions tying together mechanical tricks to make you jump. It's not so much that I dislike the scare aspect, I just find jump scares almost cynical in their cheapness. It requires no skill to do. Whereas I'll devour anything with an eerie atmosphere, which is why my favourite horror movie is the Shining.

So Hereditary I had high hopes for. I knew it wasn't reliant on jump scares, and had heard it was quite creepy. I was glad to find these reports are true. The film has a great atmosphere, genuinely unsettling. The cast is excellent, particularly Toni Collette who, er, goes through her range. It's shot beautifully, with the whole film framed with recurring callbacks to dolls houses that become more and more relevant. Even the soundtrack is good.

The film seems to know exactly the kind of thing that'll make me buy into a plot, and ticks all the boxes. As the plot goes forward I found myself thinking 'is it going where I think it's going?' and was delighted to discover it was. 

Criticism? The pace is a little off IMO, it takes its time a little much in the second act, and it has very little sense of time passing, meaning the film kinda feels like 'a family has the worst week ever'. A moment of CGI is a bit rough. There's a little too much of a swerve to horror tropes that doesn't quite fit with what came before. And the very final scene has a really poor explain the movie for everyone not paying attention voiceover which feels like it was tacked on at the studio's request.

Overall all though, possibly the best horror movie I've seen in a long time. It's not actually scary, but it's a very tense and eerie watch.

• Like 2

I watched Escape Room last night. It first came to my attention about 3-4 months ago when James Wan mentioned they did a really good job with it, since then I've had it earmarked to watch as soon as I could.

Its essentially 2 parts SAW to one part Hostel but the main difference is that its not as nasty as either of those films. If anyone saw Jigsaw the recent SAW reboot I feel like that film was aiming for an end product like Escape Room but ended up falling short. Visually it looked good but there was no substance behind it.

This is a slick film and the director clearly has some talent with the camera, much like James Wan with SAW, when you are confined to small spaces for most of the film its essential the camera has that floating effect to keep things interesting and not feeling too static or like a  CCTV camera in the corner. I imagine the budget wasn't very large here but everything has a solid quality to it. There's no names in the cast list but its the sort of film that benefits from that because no one is safe in your eyes.

Overall this is quite an original film and kudos to them for keeping the running time short at 90 mins, this didn't need to be any longer.

Overall I enjoyed this and its recommended 7.5/10

2 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

I've never seen or heard of Cube, may have to check it out.

Yeah the first Cube is pretty good actually.

Cost nothing to make and is still better looking and more interesting than most similar films.

• Like 1

Â