The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Pet Sematary

One of those 80’s cult films I’ve heard people talk about over and over but never sat down and actually watched it in my 33 years. Finally got round to it and loved every minute. I went into it blind and it wasn’t what I imagined at all, went in a really dark direction. Proper old school horror film with plenty of atmosphere. Fred Gwynne absolutely stole the show for me. Wished I’d watched it sooner. 8.5/10

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Pet Sematary

One of those 80’s cult films I’ve heard people talk about over and over but never sat down and actually watched it in my 33 years. Finally got round to it and loved every minute. I went into it blind and it wasn’t what I imagined at all, went in a really dark direction. Proper old school horror film with plenty of atmosphere. Fred Gwynne absolutely stole the show for me. Wished I’d watched it sooner. 8.5/10

Is a remake coming early April as well.

And it's actually gotten pretty OK reviews

1 hour ago, Ingram85 said:

I think it’s an achievement in itself that it made it to screen without really losing anything from the novel. Also - *engages flame shield and whispers quietly* - I actually preferred the films ending.

wb.

15 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

Pet Sematary

This post makes me a little sad. Not that you liked it or anything like that, but the fact that you're 33 and haven't watched it as you were too young when it came out. That makes me old. 😢 Hi Mike! :D 

On 21/03/2019 at 22:53, Ingram85 said:

I think it’s an achievement in itself that it made it to screen without really losing anything from the novel. Also - *engages flame shield and whispers quietly* - I actually preferred the films ending.

It's a surprise it was doable as a single film without collapsing into a mess. Saying that, Snyder did basically just take the graphic novel and put it on the screen. Dave Gibbons style is very similar to a story board, and Snyder literally uses it like that. There's dozens of shots where he pulls images straight from it. In that a lot of plaudits have to go to Moore and Gibbons that they made something that was very cinematic at it's heart (ironic given that Moore has long sought to create work that demonstrates the things comics can do that other mediums don't), and Snyder converted it to the screen well.

I don't mind the ending change (which was an idea by David Hayter iirc, better known as Solid Snake in the Metal Gear Solid games upto Ground Zeroes, funnily enough) and I think it works better for the screen than the original ending would have, although I still like the original in all its bizarre out of nowhere madness. It's just probably a quirk too far for a cinema audience.

Snyder's best movie. Mostly because he slavishly copied an excellent source. Cast it very well too (well, besides Malin Ackerman, who is **** dreadful).

I may be biased though, as someone who went to a Halloween party as Rorschach years ago.

Ah, a post from Chindie in the film thread. That reminds of the editor of Bohemian Rhapsody and that scene. I still don't care too much about it, but I read an interview, sort of, with the editor and as it turns out he really doesn't like that scene himself. It was made in a rush, but every time he sees it he jides his face in his hands and if there will ever be a chance to change it in future BD/DVD editions he will. Which shows yet again that I don't know much about these things. :)

Dragged Across Concrete Poster

Dragged Across Concrete.

Was OK, was hoping for more tbh. 

The story, acting and everything else is fine, but it really was nothing special, and It's really loooong (almost 3h) and needless to say it's a slow burn.

6/10

Like his previous ones Bone Tomahawk and Brawl In Cell Block 99 better.

Shazam reviews in.

Seemingly it's another success for DC. Making Big into a superhero film, a simple concept but fits Shazam very well.

I wonder if they reference the fact the character is actually Captain Marvel...

Just back from taking my lad to watch Captain Marvel.

the main thing is he enjoyed it. I thought it was ok, nothing special but not Iron Man 2 either. 

The chemistry between Nick Fury and Carol Danvers was probably the best thing (along with a fairly decent 90s soundtrack) and Jude Law was surprisingly ok too. 

Spoiler

The cat practically steals the show though!

Part of me (the cynic) thinks the film has been shoehorned into the Marvel series and guaranteed it’s income as it’s so close to the release of Avengers End Game, with the main character featuring in the latter too, thus inferring some necessity to see this ahead of the next Avengers. 

I doubt I’d watch a stand-alone Captain Marvel 2 though. 

On 20/03/2019 at 13:05, AVFCDAN said:

Watched The Mule yesterday with old Clint.

For anyone who has seen Gran Torino (which was great btw) this is almost like a sequel to that film. Clint is essentially still playing the same character here albeit slightly more amiable and weary to that previous character. Gran Torino at a guess must be coming up to 10 years old now and Clint is definitely showing his age these days. That slight glint is still there but any remains of the tough old guy he was clinging on to are gone here and it suits the character.

What the film does well is cut out any fat and get straight to the point, sometimes to the films own detriment where the bad guys are bad and the good guys are good. There's really no backstory to anyone here but with such a good line-up of cast members they do get away with it most of the time. The cast here is almost bigger than it needs to be and you get the sense some of these people just wanted to work with Clint while they still could.

There's elements of breaking bad here as well where the initial foot on the ladder is out of desperation but then an enjoyment of the danger kicks in and you wonder where the line has been crossed somewhere along the way.

There's nothing out of the ordinary here but everything is done so well and zips along at a fair old pace you can't help but enjoy the ride.

8/10.

Very good review, so thanks. I was kind of on the fence about watching this - and I know I'll have to watch it on my own, since ol' Clint isn't too popular with my wife - but you've swung me towards the 'yes, when it's on' column. 

10 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Very good review, so thanks. I was kind of on the fence about watching this - and I know I'll have to watch it on my own, since ol' Clint isn't too popular with my wife - but you've swung me towards the 'yes, when it's on' column. 

👍

Its definitely worth a watch.

Watched The Dirt last night. Enjoyable. :) Read the book about 10 years or so ago and really liked it. And I think the film catches the important part of it, that they are/were 4 harmless and happy idiots who did a lot of stupid stuff and really were in it for the girls and drugs. Also a plus for the first squirting scene I've seen in a not rjw-rated film. :D 6,5 + 0,5 for the squirt makes it a 7.

• Haha 1

Re-watched the old DOOM movie from 2005 yesterday.

It's actually not quite as bad as it's reputation. For an action/horror movie based on an video game fps it's pretty much what you'd expect.

Get's a bit weird towards the end when it turns into an actual fps :D but it's quite fun.

Even Dwayne Johnson is watchable in this one and considering the steaming pile of movies he's in this isn't one of his worst.

There is apparently a new DOOM movie coming soon in which they have changed the iconic DOOM-guy to a woman. And the internet is not happy about it.

13 hours ago, sne said:

Even Dwayne Johnson is watchable in this one and considering the steaming pile of movies he's in this isn't one of his worst.

The Rock is the main reason his shit movies are watchable 😉

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

The Rock is the main reason his shit movies are watchable 😉

That's what his paycheck says at least.

I think he's painfully craptacular 😀

Us tonight

strange film , it kinda went from meh to decent back to meh .

took way too long before things started to happen and then when it did it the film became enjoyable before descending into a terrible final act , with a plot twist that I think everyone gussed pretty much from the off .

i can suspend belief  and except  the shadow people idea but the film lacks credibility when you have an American family that don’t appear to own a gun , 

it wasn’t terrible , had a few decent moments “call the police “ etc but it says a lot when the best thing about the film was the trailer for Pet Sematary before it started 

• Like 1

Â