The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Finally watched “The Revenant”.

Overall pretty decent, it was a bit slow in places. I think it looked great more than anything. A fair bit of dramatic license deployed having read about the story, but I guess that’s to be expected. Tom Hardy, watchable but mumbling again.

Other than Leo, both William Poulter and Domhnall Gleeson were good.

Ant Man & The Wasp was really decent. I like the fact that, although they're Marvel Superhero films, neither of the Ant Man movies feel like the other Marvel canon. 

Edited by theboyangel
  • Like 4

Finally got round to watching 'You Were Never Really Here' a couple of days ago. I really wanted it to be good: it has some excellent reviews from critics, and I like Joaquin Phoenix, but it didn't quite do it for me. Trying to be atmospheric in places but just didn't quite achieve it. That said, we did have to pause it a few times as our daughter wasn't settling down, so that probably didn't help with the tension!

4 hours ago, theboyangel said:

Ant Man & The Wasp was really decent. I like the fact that, although they're Marvel Superhero films, neither of the Ant Man movies feel like the other Marvel canon. 

I didn’t think it was great story-wise but I really enjoyed it. It was one of the funniest films I’ve seen in the last year. It was genuinely funny, too - not cheesy-superhero-quip funny.

• Like 1

Got home from watching 'Bohemian Rhapsody' at the cinema a few hours ago.

First off, there are a few doppelgangers in this film. I also think the omission of Sascha Baren-Cohen was a good decision.

While it wasn't my favourite film of all time, not even close, it was a worthwhile watch. Queen are infinitely brilliant, or 'fabulous, my love' (as Mercury might say).

It was cool to get feedback from audience members that watched Live Aid as it happened and confirmed that Queen rocked it. A fitting end to the film.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ferguson1 said:

Quality!  Love all the Rathbone mini films, just what a Sherlock Holmes was meant to be.  

Same here. I love the whole vibe it sends out, and it just wouldn’t be the same in colour. Can watch them all day. 

• Like 1

image.png.0ee95444d2932f6e50e19a185f1b0f73.png

Watched this today. Thought it was good, Carell is super in the lead role. It might be I'm a sucker for sentimental movies, as I also enjoyed The Leisure Seeker last year, and both that and this one it seems have been panned by the critics. This one, is a fictionalised take on a true story, about a guy who recovered from a vicious assault, here he uses dolls as a way of working through his trauma. I found his performance compelling and really moving. The metaphors are very much on the nose I suppose, but what can I say, it worked for me.

Edited by Rodders

As the lesbian queen film was sold out due to dirty old man hoping to see some boobies  ended up watching Ralph breaks the Internet 

have to say it’s great fun of your a bit of an iT geek (or former IT gig in my case ) ... the background gags and obscure references were great and it also makes an observation on society today without overtly  preaching ... my kids didn’t want to see it as they “aren’t babies anymore dad “ .. their  loss , they would have loved it 

• Like 1

Bit late to the party, but watched Bladerunner 2049 the other day.

What a great film. 

Although I enjoyed the original, I thought this was a better film overall to be honest. Cracking stuff. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

Bit late to the party, but watched Bladerunner 2049 the other day.

What a great film. 

Although I enjoyed the original, I thought this was a better film overall to be honest. Cracking stuff. 

Agreed.

I'd go as far as to say it's far superior to the original.

I like the original. But I think it's more cult classic than outright brilliant movie, imo. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Agreed.

I'd go as far as to say it's far superior to the original.

I like the original. But I think it's more cult classic than outright brilliant movie, imo. 

I enjoyed the original because it looked amazing, the soundtrack was brilliant and the whole atmosphere and tension in the film was great.

You're absolutely right though, the new one is a superior film overall. It retains the great look/feel and atmosphere, but has a much better narrative. 

Â