The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Unthinkable with Samuel L Jackson is a class film, its pretty much about they capture a terrorist and torture him to find out where these bombs are and i guess the moral of the story is if torturing should be allowed and how far you should go. Pretty good watch though
Is that the film with the facepalm of a dialogue that goes something along the lines of

Man #1 - "But that's against the U.S. constitution"

Man #2 - "Sure it is, but we need to do it to protect the constitution"

Watched The Social Network last night. Am I the only who thinks Zuckerberg came out of it pretty well ? The missus was saying 'what a rocket polisher'. Ruthless, driven, single-minded and brilliant yes, but I kinda liked him. Eisenberg was very good. I also didn't know until I watched the film that the napster guy was involved with facebook.

Unthinkable with Samuel L Jackson is a class film, its pretty much about they capture a terrorist and torture him to find out where these bombs are and i guess the moral of the story is if torturing should be allowed and how far you should go. Pretty good watch though
Is that the film with the facepalm of a dialogue that goes something along the lines of

Man #1 - "But that's against the U.S. constitution"

Man #2 - "Sure it is, but we need to do it to protect the constitution"

If those bombs go off there will be no f*****g Constitution lol yh thats the one. One of the best feens i have seen in ages

Watched The Social Network last night. Am I the only who thinks Zuckerberg came out of it pretty well ? The missus was saying 'what a rocket polisher'. Ruthless, driven, single-minded and brilliant yes, but I kinda liked him. Eisenberg was very good. I also didn't know until I watched the film that the napster guy was involved with facebook.

Zuckerbergs character detracted from the film for me - he's a complete word removed, a real unlikable bastard.

Good film but as much as I appreciated it and liked it, it's main character being someone I genuinely didn't like whatsoever means it'll never be a favourite.

I thought unstoppable was a pretty good action film, had a few good set pieces, big denze and a somewhat original premise (ignoring runaway train & under seige 2).

Going to see Battlefield l.a. tonight, majority group decsion unfortunately, not looking forward to it, any redeeming features at all to look forward to or is it 100% shite?

Zuckerbergs character detracted from the film for me - he's a complete word removed, a real unlikable bastard.

Good film but as much as I appreciated it and liked it, it's main character being someone I genuinely didn't like whatsoever means it'll never be a favourite.

I sort of see where Chindie's coming from. I don't think I disliked him as much as you did, but I certainly wasn't really connected to him.

In fact, come the end of the film, I was more enamoured with Eduardo (I think Andrew Garfield is a pretty good actor, as a side note) and was firmly "on his side" at the end.

I don't think Zuckerberg did really come out of it very well. What I took from the film is, and this may count as a spoiler so don't read on if you don't want to know:

He didn't steal facebook as such, but he certainly got the idea from somebody else.

He's a prick.

He screwed his best friend over for no good reason.

I did enjoy the irony of Justin Timberlake playing Sean Parker.

It was a good film though. Don't know if I'd watch it again, but worth a watch certainly.

Back to Social Network briefly. I thought Timberlake was absolutely fantastic. It only took one scene, and I stopped laughing that it was him and took the character for what he was. An overly confident arse, who gets things done. He really impressed me.

Having recently watched a durge of great films that I'd never seen before, I thought I'd share some - in case any of you haven't checked them out yet.

Oldboy - Korean action-thriller

Broadcast News - Brilliantly acted, charming comedy

Extract - see above. Including Ben Affleck's greatest ever performance. No joke.

Idiocracy - Sci-Fi/Dystopian/Comedy, Mike Judge DIR

Synedoche, New York - Classic Kaufman, mind bending/heart breaking

The Graduate - A classic

And honourable mentions to:

Memento

La Haine

There Will Be Blood

3 of the greatest films ever :thumb:

I don't quite get your rationale, why do you feel the need to like the main character at any rate?

Oh and Timberlake was very, very good in the film, really surprised me with his performance.

Back to Social Network briefly. I thought Timberlake was absolutely fantastic. It only took one scene, and I stopped laughing that it was him and took the character for what he was. An overly confident arse, who gets things done. He really impressed me.

Took a while for me to realise it was him, hence the surprise.

Yeh I agree, he was good. PLayed the character very well.

I just thought it was funny that a guy who made his name and his fortune through the music industry was playing someone who's been sued by pretty much everyone in the music industry for "stealing" music, put simply.

I get the feeling it wasn't really acting for Timberlake. I might be wrong but I imagine that's close to his real persona :) As for why I respected Zuckerberg at the end. It's clear that in order to succeed to the level that he did i.e. $25bn, that you have to have zero-tolerance for bullshitters and you need to get things done. This came across brilliantly in the several legal meetings he was forced to have. It was clear people were desperately trying to cling on to his coat-tails. And as for the original CFO guy. He came across as useless at his job and the film gave the clear impression (by spelling it out) that he had wasted his time in New York setting up zero meetings and securing zero funding. Is that the way to a successful business? Um, probably not. All while the guys in Palo Alto were securing a $500k loan. Fact is he was a spare wheel. Zuckerberg even told Parker "you didn't need to be that cruel" or somesuch, when yer man eventually got kicked out of the company. So MZ basically legally manouvered a CFO out of his position by using the CFO's own incompetence (not reading what he was signing).

That's kind of what me and CHindie were getting at.

yeh he came across as ruthless and savvy, but that also makes him look like a cock.

The CFO guy was his only friend and he **** him over. I'm sure there would be ways to get him out of the company without screwing him to the wall.

But it is that Eduardo's fault for signing that contract. The first thing I thought when they told him how many shares he had was "What if they issue more?"

If I thought that, then he should have thought that (although I'm aware this is a film, that probably isn't how it actually happened)

Â