The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

On 29/08/2017 at 23:37, coda said:

It Comes at Night. Really potent atmospheric paranoid tense thriller! :suspect: Great creepy music.

Watched it, haven't got a clue what was happening, not sure why things happened, wouldn't watch it again.

Watched Little Evil and agree with the review above, solid if not spectacular film but gets a bonus point for casting Clancy Brown.

Also watched It Follows following a recommendation from a friend, hadn't heard of it but probably one of the best horror films I've seen in years. Really creepy in places with some disturbing scenes but slightly let down by the ending. Basic premise premise is a bit daft but very well done.

15 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

The Big Sick really is great. Nothing ground breaking but a good genre film just done well really.

I forgot to mention, Ray Romano is absolutely fantastic in this as the Dad. His schtick is massively toned down here to the point he just comes across as a Dad who thinks hes still funny and its very believable. 

Edited by AVFCDAN

16 hours ago, mykeyb said:

Watched it, haven't got a clue what was happening, not sure why things happened, wouldn't watch it again.

Oh well, too bad.

It didn't seem that complicated beyond some dream sequences. Maybe I misread it.

I'm seeing it tomorrow night. 9pm showing at an IMAX. Can't wait!

(although I usually find horror films are ruined by the cinema experience. Screaming morons removing any tension from scenes)

I wonder whether there will ever be a service that allows you to watch the late cinema releases at home? Like a PPV Netflix type arrangement. 

I'd pay £10 to watch IT today on my TV. 

31 minutes ago, Xela said:

I wonder whether there will ever be a service that allows you to watch the late cinema releases at home? Like a PPV Netflix type arrangement. 

Not what you describe, but one of the guys behind Netflix has got involved with 'Moviepass' in the States - you pay $10 per month and can watch any film that's on at any cinema, as often as you like, but limited to one movie per day. I suppose if you had a cinema very local to you you could go, walk out if people are annoying you, and try again the next day at that price :lol:

I can see what you describe happening eventually, although I am sure it's highly undesirable to many in the industry. There's an article today on BBC about the above here.

Do you remember Blockbuster Video?

Mitch Lowe does. And he remembers what they said to him as he set about putting them out of business with Redbox, the movie rental company.

“They said 'wait a minute, we rent movies for $5. You can’t make money renting them for a dollar!’"

"The year I left we did $1.5bn in revenue. Blockbuster doesn’t exist any more."

Movie producers could still make money off of their wares if they handled the online distribution themselves, I guess. Piracy of brand new movies would be off the scale, though. It may encourage the idiot cinema goers to stay at home, though, leaving the cinemas to us well behaved old timers.

Some one make it happen.

48 minutes ago, Xela said:

Happens already on a lot of the "limited release" movies that go straight to VOD on the same day as a limited theatrical release but can't see it happening any time soon for big budget/blockbuster stuff.

Piracy of course would be the main concern as perfect 1080p+ copies would be available to anyone with an internet connection on release day.

I would quite happily pay for something similar to the cineworld unlimited pass at home, £200 or so per year and you can watch what you want as soon as it is out

Edited by LakotaDakota

Yeah, I don't watch many films as and when they are released, but I'm sure I've seen a couple of same day multi format releases. Small scale independent type movies as Dakota mentions. I think 'A Field In England' was one? I'm sure I watched it streamed same day the DVD turned up in the post and it was also on the TV? Also some recent film about Northern Soul. Fairly sure I watched that on t'internet whilst it played for one night in the flicks and then the DVD turned up next morning.

I could be talking absolute bollocks mind, it's fairly rare I watch a film contemporaneously. Those two above might be the last ones. No, I saw Prometheus. That was...special... in a special kind of way. It made me realise that if I had one go at writing a movie plot and script, it would not be the worst plot and script ever written.

4 hours ago, hogso said:

You're right, A Field in England was released online to stream, to buy on DVD, to watch in cinemas, and it was on TV all at the same time. Pretty cool.

I still haven't forgotten that tent scene to this day.

8 hours ago, coda said:

Hoping to see It today!

Related image

See what?

8 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm seeing it tomorrow night. 9pm showing at an IMAX. Can't wait!

(although I usually find horror films are ruined by the cinema experience. Screaming morons removing any tension from scenes)

Yeah but what?

7 hours ago, Xela said:

I'd like to go and see IT but I don't want to share the cinema with any other person. 

Yes. But what film?

7 hours ago, Xela said:

Arghhh which film??!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Xela said:

It's coming (not the film, a watch at home service!)

The bloke who invented Napstar has apparently developed a bit of kit that allows you to stream new releases. £100/120 for the box, then £35.00 for the film. You get 48 hours to watch it. 

He announced it a year ago and studios were very interested apparently,  it gone a bit quiet since though. 

Good idea, will kill off a load of cinemas though I'd imagine. 

Edited by wazzap24
  • Like 1

Â