The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

The way I see it, instead of shit blockbuster movies like 2012, we're getting shit blockbuster movies like The Avengers.

But yes, i'd also like to see the end of comic book stuff in the hope they'd make something better with the resources more to my taste, but that's unlikely. 

Edited by PieFacE

Or the money brought in by comic book stuff is helping studios take risks on smaller stuff.

Or the more worthy stuff is getting produced by smaller studios or other avenues of funding to fill the gap.

Etc etc

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

or does it make the film industry healthier overall?

think logan had a one liner at the end saying it'd supported 15k jobs in the industry, do fox take the profit it from it and pile it all in to xmen or does some of it find its way in to funding a fox searchlight film?

Yeah that's the other counterpoint.  If they're massively profitable (which they are), then maybe they're allowing film companies the leeway to take financial risks on other films that mightn't have been made had there not been guaranteed cash cow films being made as well.  Call them the 'Porsche Cayenne' of the film industry.  Populist shite that allows the good stuff to keep being made.

1 minute ago, Chindie said:

Or the money brought in by comic book stuff is helping studios take risks on smaller stuff.

Or the more worthy stuff is getting produced by smaller studios or other avenues of funding to fill the gap.

Etc etc

Snap ;)

11 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Plus, to expand slightly on this.

Look at Deadpool and Logan. Yes, comic book movies but hardly run of the mill and quite creatively risky. Would they have existed had some of the other Marvel movies not come before? No chance in my opinion.

Edited by Designer1
Not.
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Designer1 said:

Look at Deadpool and Logan. Yes, comic book movies but hardly run of the mill and quite creatively risky. Would they have existed had some of the other Marvel movies come before? No chance in my opinion.

Thereby making future Deadpool-esque films less risky and more likely to be made.  Which in a roundabout way means these comic book fillms are in some ways making the film industry MORE creative and diverse.  Now there's a conclusion I didn't expect to come to :D 

4 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Look at Deadpool and Logan. Yes, comic book movies but hardly run of the mill and quite creatively risky. Would they have existed had some of the other Marvel movies come before? No chance in my opinion.

Fair point, but could you not argue Defendor, Super, Kick Ass are all similar style to Deadpool. They still got made without the success of Marvel (I'm not 100% sure Kick Ass was made after Marvel films blew up) 

3 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Fair point, but could you not argue Defendor, Super, Kick Ass are all similar style to Deadpool. They still got made without the success of Marvel (I'm not 100% sure Kick Ass was made after Marvel films blew up) 

Yes, but what I was really referring to was Marvel itself being able to take more creative risks.

• Like 1

The sniffy attitude to comic book movies can **** off, in short.

It's incredible that there's all these movies that (IMO) stink up cinemas all year but you don't get the sniffy reaction to them. Awful 'horror' movies? Ten a penny. Dreadful romcoms? I'd not be surprised if they hit double figures every year. Hopeless wannabe Oscar bait dramas? 15 a year easy. Not a word.

But something popular, usually at worst well made, often good popcorn fun, forever has people whinging about it. Go watch the other stuff, and they'll go away soon enough. The same way westerns did. Until then stop whinging.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BOF said:

Thereby making future Deadpool-esque films less risky and more likely to be made.  Which in a roundabout way means these comic book fillms are in some ways making the film industry MORE creative and diverse.  Now there's a conclusion I didn't expect to come to :D 

But why, if you're somebody who doesn't like comic book movies, would you want more 'Deadpool-esque films' in the future? 

I mean, I'm utterly disinterested in both 'Deadpool' and 'X-men' equally. 

I get the general 'piss off and stop moaning' point that people are making, I really do, and to some extent it's fair, but I do genuinely think comic book movies have taken away funding from the popular mid-market sector. And I don't agree that the overall quality of movies hasn't declined; on the contrary I think it's a very barren time, on average. 

5 hours ago, Nicho said:

I wish they would stop making comic book movies, very much flogging a dead horse, accept that horse is made of millions of dollars.

Weve had 10 years of Marvel and there seems to be no end. With DCU films coming as well I am so bored of the genre, actors and ever extending cast of characters. 

TV adaptations are even worse. 

They also make a plethora of god awful horror movies every year, (how many saw, or paranormal activity films now?) Or maybe a load of terrible Adam Sandler comedies, or the Fast and the Furious franchise. But they make money. 

You know what I do, don't watch them. 

4 hours ago, Chindie said:

The sniffy attitude to comic book movies can **** off, in short.

It's incredible that there's all these movies that (IMO) stink up cinemas all year but you don't get the sniffy reaction to them. Awful 'horror' movies? Ten a penny. Dreadful romcoms? I'd not be surprised if they hit double figures every year. Hopeless wannabe Oscar bait dramas? 15 a year easy. Not a word.

But something popular, usually at worst well made, often good popcorn fun, forever has people whinging about it. Go watch the other stuff, and they'll go away soon enough. The same way westerns did. Until then stop whinging.

Agreed. 

All I can say is go out and support the films you enjoy. I spend plenty watching Marvel films, in IMAX. I've seen Oscar bait like Birdman and the place was dead. It also made, what, 1/15th of what Avengers did? 

Marvel movies, as mentioned before, are good for film as a whole. It's also what people want. When people start paying for their pretentious, December, critically acclaimed, Academy cock sucking, nonsense on the same scale, I'm sure we'll see more of those. 

Until then, deal with it. 

tumblr_m4tj0dup6j1qajc4eo3_250.gif

Edited by kurtsimonw

5 hours ago, Nicho said:

I wish they would stop making comic book movies, very much flogging a dead horse, accept that horse is made of millions of dollars.

Billions!

Edited by Xela

46 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

Agreed. 

All I can say is go out and support the films you enjoy. I spend plenty watching Marvel films, in IMAX. I've seen Oscar bait like Birdman and the place was dead. It also made, what, 1/15th of what Avengers did? 

Marvel movies, as mentioned before, are good for film as a whole. It's also what people want. When people start paying for their pretentious, December, critically acclaimed, Academy cock sucking, nonsense on the same scale, I'm sure we'll see more of those. 

Until then, deal with it. 

tumblr_m4tj0dup6j1qajc4eo3_250.gif

I don't see any reason why there isn't room for all genres. I watch a very wide range of movies and to me a good movie is a good movie, irrespective if the main characters are wearing capes or not.

• Like 1

To be fair to Transformers they make $900m a piece. I don't like them, but it's clear a lot do. The only way you can "vote" in film, is with your money. Those that like Transformers do that.

I don't understand the attitude in general though. If you don't like Marvel films, don't watch them. If you go and watch them, why are you funding something you haven't liked previously? Do you go out and buy an album from a band you've never liked and then complained its crap? Or do you complain about that album without hearing any of it? It's a really bizarre IMO

20 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I feel like at some point the talk has to drift away from comic book movies and on to fast and furious or transformers...

Now there's a movie tie up waiting to happen

• Like 1

Â