The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

On 15/01/2016 at 17:25, Brumerican said:

Finally got around to watching Legend starring Tom Hardy as both the Krays . What an actor eh ? The film was meh but the performance (Ron in particular) is absolutely amazing . Worth watching just for that IMO.

I 100% agree. Tom Hardy was brilliant. His portayal of Ronnie sent shivers down my spine, however the film should have been far better. I think the 90s one with Hardy instead of the Kemp brothers would be far better, because it actually told the story better.

1 hour ago, SpanishVilla said:

Rarely turn a film off abruptly as I like to give everything a chance to get going, but the first half hour of Requiem for a Dream was probably the most torturous I've had to endure watching anything, ever.

The last half an hour makes the first half an hour look like an episode of Heartbeat.

I love the **** out that movie (and soundtrack) but it's only something I can watch now and again due to it's story.

52 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I 100% agree. Tom Hardy was brilliant. His portayal of Ronnie sent shivers down my spine, however the film should have been far better. I think the 90s one with Hardy instead of the Kemp brothers would be far better, because it actually told the story better.

I think I commented at the time (after watching the film ) that I thought Hardy's Ronnie was like a Steve Coogan parody  ... for me it was the weakest part of what was a fairly decent film  ....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

Both of those are great films!

Napoleon Dynamite id happily say i just didnt get and it wasnt for me

Bruno is still one of the worst films ive ever seen in my life, borat works because of seemingly how effortless it is to get the ridiculous reactions, bruno is the opposite, he's trying so hard for a pay off that isnt actually funny

I think I commented at the time (after watching the film ) that I thought Hardy's Ronnie was like a Steve Coogan parody  ... for me it was the weakest part of what was a fairly decent film  ....

I really liked 'Days of Heaven', 'Badlands' and 'Tree of Life' but I couldn't get through 'The New World' it's a lot people's favourite film of the 00's as well.

Tom Hardy's Texas accent in The Revenant is nigh on impenetrable. Certainly sounds authentic.

39 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Bruno is still one of the worst films ive ever seen in my life, borat works because of seemingly how effortless it is to get the ridiculous reactions, bruno is the opposite, he's trying so hard for a pay off that isnt actually funny

I like Sacha Baron Cohen in almost everything he has done, yet Bruno is the one film of his that I've deliberately avoided.  I just know I won't like that character or that film.

3 minutes ago, BOF said:

I like Sacha Baron Cohen in almost everything he has done, yet Bruno is the one film of his that I've deliberately avoided.  I just know I won't like that character or that film.

for me i could understand what he's trying to do, he's trying to play the same game with homophobia that he did with racism, but people dont react negatively to Bruno because he's gay, its because he's an utter bell end, the spontaneity from Borat has gone and been replaced by someone who pushes people so far that what he is becomes irrelevant  

4 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I've only ever walked out of napoleon dynamite

Can close watching Bruno but I'd read it had a great finale, it didn't, so I wish I had

If I'd seen Napoleon Dynamite in the cinema, I would have been close to walking out too. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BOF said:

Yeah it's a different kind of humour.  Hard to put your finger on it.  I wouldn't say they're the same as it, but I imagine if you like Napolean Dynamite you'd probably enjoy Office Space and Idiocracy.

No no no no. 

Office Space and Idiocracy are both massively-underrated works of genius. Napoleon Dynamite was just annoying shit. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

If I'd seen Napoleon Dynamite in the cinema, I would have been close to walking out too. 

it was at odeon at merry hill, they used to do like a secret film club where you paid about £3 but they didn't tell you what the film was, sometimes it was brilliant, sometimes it was films months before their UK release date, other times it was garbage, so it wasn't like i was prepared or interested in ND, caught me off guard

Napoleon Dynamite is brilliant.

But it's clearly a Marmite film. My sister, whose sense of humour is pretty much identical to mine, absolutely hated it. Says it's one of the worst films she's ever seen.

2 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Now all I can think of is     "I'm trying to run a high class bureau de change ..."

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

No no no no. 

Office Space and Idiocracy are both massively-underrated works of genius. Napoleon Dynamite was just annoying shit. 

Office Space and Idiocracy aren't underrated in the slightest . Both were pretty well acclaimed IIRC .  I love them both but they are a lot more overt than Napoleon Dynamite . 

20 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

The other films that were so close were The Edukators and Big Momma's House. I wonder what the film that actually breaks me will be like. 

The fact you even went to big Momma's House.  What in McGrath's name possessed you?  Y'see, I'm sure I'd have walked out of cinemas in the past if I went to stuff like that.

As it is, the closest I got was 'The Mexican' and I fell asleep at Schindler's List so that's technically 'leaving' in a manner of speaking :)

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Napoleon Dynamite id happily say i just didnt get and it wasnt for me

Im sorry but the scene in Bruno where he is tied up with a remote sticking out his arse is comedy gold. I've never heard Mr Magoriums Wonder Emporium since and not had a small chuckle to myself.

Also who could forget Mel Gibson being called the Fuhrer.

Â