The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

5 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

I read some years back that he had the idea of making Cloverfield 2 as the same film but from the "monsters" perspective  ...

from that trailer I'm guessing this isn't Cloverfield 2 or he went off that idea

It's supposedly not quite a sequel, but related.

Yeah I heard the different perspective one. I thought one form the perspective of the army would be good. You could easily cross over with the original then as well as they encounter them a few times.

Finally got around to watching Legend starring Tom Hardy as both the Krays . What an actor eh ? The film was meh but the performance (Ron in particular) is absolutely amazing . Worth watching just for that IMO.

• Like 1

Watched "The Big Short" at the cinema today and really enjoyed it. I work in financial services and moved to Dubai in 2007, and the arrogance and personalities depicted in some of the main and peripheral characters were right on point.

All the main leads were good, but I say I enjoyed Bale and Carrell's performances the most. Film has some very humourous moments in it too and a good use of breaking the fourth wall, without over doing it.

Overall, 8/10 would bang.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

ps - without giving too much away, there's a cameo from Margot Robbie in a bubble bath. 

:wub:

sign me up

must admit I wasn't sure a comedy about these events was going to work but I saw a trailer for the film on Weds and it looked pretty decent

(and at least this is a comedy rather than The martian which somehow won a comedy or musical award !! )

37 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

sign me up

must admit I wasn't sure a comedy about these events was going to work but I saw a trailer for the film on Weds and it looked pretty decent

(and at least this is a comedy rather than The martian which somehow won a comedy or musical award !! )

I wouldn't focus too much on the humour aspect as it's definitely of the black-comedy variety, rather than something like 'Step-Brothers' for instance. 

I thought it was a decent watch with a nice blend of serious moments, parts that made me laugh, some creative use of the fourth wall to explain some financial terminology to the audience, and a good script.

Green Room.

Directed by Jeremy Saulnier (Blue Ruin)

Starring Patrick Stewart as an evil night club owner...

So, that's a thumbs up all round then :thumb:

Here's the teaser trailer:

• Like 1

back from The Revenant its a good film but quite slow but I think they will give DiCaprio the Oscar just because he has missed out so many times when I have seen him play better roles. bit like when Scorcese won for Departed I think

• Like 1

I loved Selma, thought it was very good.

For me the biggest eye opener from the film was just how little my missus, who I met through studying a level history, knows about the U.S. Civil rights movement

I knew a good chunk about what had gone on during the Kennedy years, MLK, a little bit about his wife, LBJ, Birmingham, Wallace, Malcolm x (still not seen the denzel film), I didnt know anything about Selma - she knew nothing on any of it going in to the film and think it ruined it for her

she was intrigued about the time frame and questioned whether "would we be like that" etc and I cant remember how it got there but I mentioned the 1968 Olympics and got "what 2 black athletes?" :o (surprised there isn't a film about that, if they do one the White Aussie blokes story is a shocker)

I dunno but it seemed like if she didn't understand the scope of what Selma was and therefore found it boring

I'm not biting on that "Battle of Britain" troll, Tony.

it wasn't a troll more an criticism on the film using the word Nigger about 687 times in order to gain whatever reaction it was QT was trying to evoke

it's QT being QT  ...but maybe it's just become a little tired now ....   Blazing saddles shows you how you can drop drop the Nigger word into a film  to good effect , Hateful 8 it just becomes irritating ( though maybe people in the US did speak like this circa 1870 and QT is being historically accurate ?)

OK then, I will...

The Dambusters

5 hours ago, mjmooney said:

OK then, I will...

The Dambusters

Ah finally the penny has dropped !!! No idea why I got the wrong film 

twice !!

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, villa4europe said:

For me the biggest eye opener from the film was just how little my missus, who I met through studying a level history, knows about the U.S. Civil rights movement

I knew a good chunk about what had gone on during the Kennedy years, MLK, a little bit about his wife, LBJ, Birmingham, Wallace, Malcolm x (still not seen the denzel film), I didnt know anything about Selma - she knew nothing on any of it going in to the film and think it ruined it for her

she was intrigued about the time frame and questioned whether "would we be like that" etc and I cant remember how it got there but I mentioned the 1968 Olympics and got "what 2 black athletes?" :o (surprised there isn't a film about that, if they do one the White Aussie blokes story is a shocker)

I dunno but it seemed like if she didn't understand the scope of what Selma was and therefore found it boring

I did a couple of school project on MLK so I knew quite a lot about it.

I do think the film has a lot of assumed knowledge in it. I never really thought about it until you said it, might be a problem if you didn't know much about it.

Â