The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Watched this for the first time in years last night. Had forgotten how good it was.

51P6GQABZAL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

It's such a great movie isn't it? I know people go on about De Niro's performance in Taxi Driver (rightly so, Travis Bickle is a phenomenal character) but I just love his portrayal of Rupert Pupkin, he nails the balance between being uncomfortable to watch, and yet easy to root for.

And the final few minutes are superb...

Are there still any sites revived where you could watch movies online? There used to be a few with a library and you clicked on it and your straight there. Forgot the names... anyone?

Are there still any sites revived where you could watch movies online? There used to be a few with a library and you clicked on it and your straight there. Forgot the names... anyone?

IMDB has lots of movies you can watch online. Not many of the Hollywood blockbuster variety but definitely some worth taking a look at.

And in recommending mode - watched this last night. Bit too influence by Michael Moore (you can decide for yourself if this is a good/bad thing) but still worth a look:

51YZ-lO7wbL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I watched Lost In Translation for the first time a couple of nights ago, I thought it was fantastic.

Even more poignant when you have done the whole travelling/saying goodbye to a girl thing yourself.

Brilliant film.

Just got back through the door after watching Predators... **** AMAZING. If you've any love for the Predator/Alien franchise (and, like me, you attempt to negate the existence of the terrible AvP films) this film will bring a tear to your eye. :thumb:

One of the WORST film I've ever seen in the cinema, almost as bad as The Mommy. Predicatable, cliched rubbish with serious flaws in the plot 'twists' and some weak acting.

Special effects were decent but by no means mind blowing, took a lot of the terrible fight scene duals from AVP. Wud rather have my chest waxed than see that crap again, wud be a more enjoyable experience.

Youth In Revolt

Just watched this tonight, very good indeed!

Agreed. Saw it when it was out at the cinema and thought it was good. May even buy it now that it is out to buy. Cera is really good in this film in my opinion. His best piece of acting so far.

I quite like Cera too - enjoyed Nick and Nora's Infinite Playlist too (being a bit of a music geek and compiler of cds!!!)

Looking forward to seeing him in Scott Pilgrim vs The World - the trailer looks quality!!

Just got back through the door after watching Predators... **** AMAZING. If you've any love for the Predator/Alien franchise (and, like me, you attempt to negate the existence of the terrible AvP films) this film will bring a tear to your eye. :thumb:

One of the WORST film I've ever seen in the cinema, almost as bad as The Mommy. Predicatable, cliched rubbish with serious flaws in the plot 'twists' and some weak acting.

Special effects were decent but by no means mind blowing, took a lot of the terrible fight scene duals from AVP. Wud rather have my chest waxed than see that crap again, wud be a more enjoyable experience.

completely agree with this thought it was **** awfull film, seemed really rushed the deaths were nearly as bland as the acting.

**just thought I would change that just in case it is a bit of a spoiler**

They must be a new breed of retarded predators as well, I thought they were supposed to be the bad boys of hunting, well **** me dont put them up against a japanese sword fighting midget who is less than half the size of them, it'll be absolute carnage i tells ye.

shit film....best part was when someone in the cinema got up walked out and said 'this is the worst twilight yet, there aint even any **** vampires'

movies_das-boot_directors-cut_poster-cover.jpg

Das Boot.

It's another one of those films I felt I ought to have seen by now, and I finally have. The directors cut is an eye watering three and a half hours long (and there is a five hour long "uncut" version too!) but it is spellbinding stuff. It's a tale of a German U-Boat crew in late 1941, the point where WW2 is ceasing to become a cakewalk for the Germans.

The film is very anti Nazi, I'm not sure how much of that is Germans rewriting their own history, but the crew of the submarine dont really believe in the cause they are fighting for, but of course, they have to fight. It's odd to see the British portrayed as a strong force who are very much to be feared (and the film is really about Germany vs Britain, the Americans dont get a mention).

You get to see the respect that must have existed between the sides too, certainly at the level of the field officers for whom the war was nothing personal, they were just doing their job. They didnt really enjoy killing the enemy, but of course, they had to do it.

Very good film, and its WW2 from an angle you are not used to seeing. It humaises the German side which is something we seem incapable of doing.

Â