Rihanna's Umbrella

ender4

What did you think of Umbrella by Rihanna?  

103 members have voted

1. 1. What did you think of Umbrella by Rihanna?

• Loved it
    • Liked it
    • Didn't like it
    • Hated it
    • Never heard of it!

So everyone who likes that song has bad music taste all round?

Not all round although a possibility - everyone has a shite song that they like, its just most wouldn't admit to it, especially in a public arena like this.

Personal opinion of the song is that within it's genre, and for it's purpose, it was a huge hit.

collaboration

with Jay-Z which secures radiotime and MTV openings

I guess Rihanna and her bank account don't care

Don't you realise how this sounds? This is music we are talking about. Nobody's asking, is it successful? Only, is it good? And if you think the answer to that it yes, then you should turn off MTV and get yourself to some gigs and festivals. If you don't like guitar music, try The Big Chill.

You don't have to play guitar to make great music...

You're right. Just ask Dr John, Miles Davies, Ray Charles, Jools Holland, Chuck D, Air, Royksopp, Roots Manuva, Ben Folds, The Beastie Boys, Daft Punk, Camille, MGMT (Not sure if they play guitar actually, it doesn't sound like it) and any number of other people. Just don't ask Rihanna or anyone else without talent.

And I'm not 50, not entirely English and it's not about hating modern music, just shit music.

What you just said there is really dumb. I'm a fan of music, I play the guitar, clarinet and accordion (although the later two not so much anymore). Favorite bands are Radiohead, Led Zeppelin, Mando Dio, Smashing Pumpkins and MGMT, list goes on but those are prob my top 5. I don't go out of my way to stay away from "mainstream". Ive always been under the impression that I know good music when I hear it. I love guitar riffs, I love great vocals, I love great lyrics, I love experimentation.

But a song that I'm willing to listen to and enjoy, does not need to have any of those, all it requires is me to be able to sit down and enjoy it. I can turn on that song and like it. Just like I can watch Jaws and be scared by the 2 notes.

/rant

Edit: Ive never had, nor listened to MTV. The only place I hear songs like that is when people I'm around play them.

It ain't R&B. It's R&B tinged pop.

If you don't like it that's fine; it's not your thing. It DOES NOT mean it's 'shit'. Please understand the difference.

yes :nod:

its not R&B. Its pop, and its a great pop song.

its catchy, its got fun lyrics, as well as a warm message that teens would enjoy.

but what intrigues me more is the 10 or so people who have NEVER heard the song!! :shock:

what planet were you living on in 2007? you couldn't leave your house or switch on the tv or radio without hearing the song! You would have to live somewhere very isolated, or not interact with media at all.

Personal opinion of the song is that within it's genre, and for it's purpose, it was a huge hit.

collaboration

with Jay-Z which secures radiotime and MTV openings

I guess Rihanna and her bank account don't care

Don't you realise how this sounds? This is music we are talking about. Nobody's asking, is it successful? Only, is it good? And if you think the answer to that it yes, then you should turn off MTV and get yourself to some gigs and festivals. If you don't like guitar music, try The Big Chill.

You don't have to play guitar to make great music...

You're right. Just ask Dr John, Miles Davies, Ray Charles, Jools Holland, Chuck D, Air, Royksopp, Roots Manuva, Ben Folds, The Beastie Boys, Daft Punk, Camille, MGMT (Not sure if they play guitar actually, it doesn't sound like it) and any number of other people. Just don't ask Rihanna or anyone else without talent.

And I'm not 50, not entirely English and it's not about hating modern music, just shit music.

What you just said there is really dumb. I'm a fan of music, I play the guitar, clarinet and accordion (although the later two not so much anymore). Favorite bands are Radiohead, Led Zeppelin, Mando Dio, Smashing Pumpkins and MGMT, list goes on but those are prob my top 5. I don't go out of my way to stay away from "mainstream". Ive always been under the impression that I know good music when I hear it. I love guitar riffs, I love great vocals, I love great lyrics, I love experimentation.

But a song that I'm willing to listen to and enjoy, does not need to have any of those, all it requires is me to be able to sit down and enjoy it. I can turn on that song and like it. Just like I can watch Jaws and be scared by the 2 notes.

/rant

Edit: Ive never had, nor listened to MTV. The only place I hear songs like that is when people I'm around play them.

All that means is that you can enjoy music without great guitar riffs, great vocals, great lyrics, great experimentation. Sounds like music with nothing going for it to me. I can't enjoy that type of music. And you call me dumb!

Furthermore, you are saying that Rihanna's songs hasn't got any of those things; that there is nothing great about it. On this we agree.

Jaws is a great film and I don't understand what you're getting at by comparing an atmospheric soundtrack to one of the scariest movies ever to a pop song.

Also, if you enjoy this type of music, why not watch MTV?

what planet were you living on in 2007? you couldn't leave your house or switch on the tv or radio without hearing the song! You would have to live somewhere very isolated, or not interact with media at all.

don't listen to music radio and don't watch music telly. not my scene so why would i? i've heard OF it and the artist as even non shit papers deem it rediculously newsworthy but thats it. perfectly easy to miss.

don't listen to music radio and don't watch music telly. not my scene so why would i? i've heard OF it and the artist as even non shit papers deem it rediculously newsworthy but thats it. perfectly easy to miss.

did you hear the Wet Wet Wet song 'Love is all Around' back in the day?

i hated that song, wasn't my type of music, yet i couldn't escape hearing it.

The Umbrella song was like that as well.... shops were all playing it, even news channels played it (as background to the freak storms we were having), kids were blasting it through their mobile phones.

i'd guess you probably did hear it, but just didn't realise that it was this song.

Also, if you enjoy this type of music, why not watch MTV?

As I said, I don't have MTV, so I couldn't watch it even if I wanted to. Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones!

i can tell you both don't watch MTV, as if you did you'd know that MTV doesn't play music.

:lol:

MTV is a tv channel that mainly has shows on it, such as Jackass, Pimp my Ride, Cribs & lots of reality shows. It also shows the odd film, and award ceremony.

8)

i'd guess you probably did hear it, but just didn't realise that it was this song.

probably true, but I am also the insular kind of chap who elects to listen to my own music on my ipod rather than the stores selection. I did used to work in a bar where they played loads of random music some good some shit, couldn't identify any of them now, maybe it was played then.

edit : typically I listen to 5live on the radio but even then I now just tend to download podcasts, and watch various dvds on the telly and get new music suggestions via friend recommendations. I don't watch any entertainment shows either. Shop music would be the one form I suppose where I can hear them, but there we go:/ Also first half of 2007 I was living in France too :P

It's not hard to do.

Depends what kind of lifestyle you have I guess.

Of course. I should point out that I'm not talking about me here. I do get exposure to pop culture. A lot of it is great. Some of it is throwaway tosh though.

It's like that judge who said he had never heard of Gazza after the media was full of him post Italia 90. I remember being astonished at the time.

Â