Rihanna's Umbrella

ender4

What did you think of Umbrella by Rihanna?  

103 members have voted

1. 1. What did you think of Umbrella by Rihanna?

• Loved it
    • Liked it
    • Didn't like it
    • Hated it
    • Never heard of it!

I don't believe she even looks all that good. She is one of the most over hyped singers of all time. Her voice has little range, she is at best an average dancer, her looks are again average, her songs are the definitions of pop banality, yet somehow she seems to be considered to be special. I don't find her offensive or anything, it's just I don't get what she brings to the party that other artists aren't already doing better.

Hey - let's be honest about this:

I don't think her producers cared much about the opinion of 50 year old English people when they made the song.

Just like indie rock loving people hate RnB, the ones who love it don't care much about that kind of rock you're listening

to. And it's not just 12 year old girls who listen to it - it's of course anyone between that age and let's say 35 and perhaps

even older in the States. Also, for those who go out RnB is probably the most popular music to be played around the world

in clubs next to House music - which tells a tale of the music being easy to listen to as well as making you feel happy. The

discussion between musical genres is not worthwhile, no opinion is better than anyone elses. Sure, there are some extremely

poor productions within pop music it's frightening to listen to, but hey, that goes for the more respected genres such as rock,

guitar, band, bass and drums music as well. Like I said, some 40-50 year old bloke commenting on Rihanna's banger is hardly

worthwhile, the opinion is kind of obvious before you're stating it so why bother ;) I guess most of the guys commenting on this

thread or the other recent thread about Chris Brown have heard as much as one song from her and still they're slating it for fun.

Personal opinion of the song is that within it's genre, and for it's purpose, it was a huge hit. Great build-up and bass use, collaboration

with Jay-Z which secures radiotime and MTV openings. It seems making a hit or reaching the "top 10" is the same as being a bad thing

these days, especially amongst people who think they know the answer to music - but I guess Rihanna and her bank account don't care

much about that. You don't have to play guitar to make great music...

It's pop music and great. Nicely produced, great hook, what is there not to like? Sure, if the radio DJs are showing their lack of imagination by playing the thing constantly, by all means vent your anger, just point it in the right direction though.

I think the R&B popularity in the states has nothing to do with the quality of the music, more with the distribution of it (Rhianna to me is pop music, not R&B); go into a shop (anywhere) and the music you often hear is what the people working in the shop want to hear. And in the states the people working in the shops are often the kind of people who like R&B.

In NY I asked my mate to take me to a dance club. It was playing R&B stuff. They insisted it was dance music. I put it to them that it was a type of dance music, but they didn't really understand what I was on about. This was the time when Timberlake's Sexyback was around. Even without listening to the radio I heard it 3 or 4 times a day just wandering around the shops. And in the aforementioned club they played it twice in the hour and a half I stuck it before having to leave and scream.

Â