Are you proud of your country?

wedge

Are you proud of your country?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Are you proud of your country?

• Yes
    • No

Proud to be swedish and proud of my country. Not that Sweden is flawless, it certainly isn't, but I don't think there is any flawless country in the world and you have to take the good with the bad. And so far in my life the good things have by far outweighed the bad things.

I've had alot of issues with this kind of topic. When I was a teen I was virulently anti-patriotic and thought the entire concept was thoroughly embarrassing and based on total random chance etc.

23 now, and that view as softened I suppose. whenever ive travelled and been away for a while there are elements I've missed but that's more a case of certain local customs isn't it rather then being patriotic? That said ddid find myself defending britain more often when I was abroad than I do when I'm here. ANd its easier to see a) flaws of other countries once your there and B) notice more of the positives of britain when you're away too. Tend to forget stuff like that at home when you've got rolling news channells and tabloid newsapers making you went to pull out an uzi and go shooting down editors sky owners and the like.

I think I've generally come to the conclusion that all countries have their spectacular flaws and what makes it so frustrating is that you can see the potential for britain to be great yet it continues to frustrate - a wider human problem than just britain though but patriotism - eh - I support britain or england in sporting contensts mostly because I recognise the players more from watching them weekly on the telly.

I like living here, and I would miss it if I move abroad permanently, but proud - I just dunno really. Maybe because the idea of british pride in my mind seems a short step from over zealous nationalism and something the bnp would advocate I prefer to just say I'm happy where I live, but I'd be equally happy any other place too.

i think i'd be more positive if it werent for the fact there are so many overly patriotic fuckheads about.

No country on this earth has influenced the world more than Britain. Our language dominates, our music is played everywhere. our political institutions are copied, Not bad for a small island off the North West coast of Europe.Oh and I'm still proud of my country, no matter what the whingers and pessimists say, we have an inner strenghth as a nation that will see us through any problems. :D

That said ddid find myself defending britain more often when I was abroad than I do when I'm here.
Whilst I'm not sure what DDID was doing out there with you - you could always have adopted the same tactics many yanks have used in the past 8 years and pretend to be canadian.

Our language dominates
I would guess that thanks to the internet it is american that is the dominant language, not english - though both really owe plenty to the italians
our music is played everywhere.
Again the american influence is strongly evident
our political institutions are copied
And again institutions that were copied from the romans.

The world is a big mixing bowl and the british have had a major turn at the spoon - but many of the ingredients have been sampled from other races and countries.

There is also an 'our world' view. Before the advent of the internet and global media, you could easily discern different world views from english, french and spanish speaking locales. In france you are more likely to hear news about french colonies or former french colonies, similar with spain - they pay more interest to the politics of south america than the british or french do.

Without the american conquering of the world through the internet, I would doubt that any language, music, culture shone through. The underlying theme to all though is latin language and institutions.

When did the roman empire fall? I'll tell you when it happens.

When did the roman empire fall? I'll tell you when it happens.
When the papacy ends...
I would argue that would be the beginning of the end - but yes the roman empire still holds a billion or so people in its thrall. The colonisng countries merely being conduits for the extension of it's power.

No. I'm HAPPY to be English. I LIKE England, But - and this is really one for a much more more detailed explanation - I believe that "pride" is a very dodgy concept (and so is its opposite number, shame).

I'm not proud of my achievements (such as they are), because to do so is to over-stroke my own ego,when I know that (a) luck and (B) the contributions of other people are largely responsible. I'm not proud of my children - although I love them, and I am delighted in the way they have turned out - because to do so would be taking the credit that THEY deserve. And similarly, I am not ashamed of my failings, because that just results in pointless self-castigation. I'd rather accept my mistakes and learn from them. So I'm not ashamed of my country either - it's a complex sum of all its inhabitants, leaders and history. The point is to make it better.

Hope all that makes sense.

Ireland... Proud....?

You gotta be **** joking me, 15 years ago yes but experiencing the "Celtic Tiger" then leaving to watch the mess unravell from a far, love the Island but a large percentage of the population are cocks, morons and pussies.

To explain the three adjetives in my post -

Cocks: Bit of money gets thrown about and suddenly everyone is trying to out do each other with the biggest car, nicest holiday, flashiest designer clothes. Anyone with the misfortune of attending a "Holy Communion" in the last decade will know what I mean. Back in my time "mid 80's" it was all about the kids, recently it's been all about which parent hired the largest limo or biggest bouncing castle.

Morons: Yeah, the um majority who voted for Bertie in the last election somehow managing to convince themselves that despite the overwhelming evidence he was a corrupt little crook, and the same fucktards will probably make him president in the next election. Right to Vote should be recinded. Secondly the property ladder. I really regret not having established an elaborate pyramid scheme in Ireland during the boom cause most people seem to love drinking the koolade, including those firends of mine who despite my best advice had to splunk out 450k on one-bedroom apartments in shit areas surrounded by heroin infested flats, cause they HAD to get on "the property ladder" before it was too late.

Pussies: Everyone in Ireland loves to complain, shops inflating their prices? Lets have a good moan. Pubs ripping us off? Moan. Will we do anything about it? Will we ****? Perfect contrast anybody does anything in France and the people take to the streets in protest. If the Irish are bigger pussies than the French something is seriously wrong in the world.

not proud of what the country has become

and had no choice being born here - proud nah just thankful i wasn't born in a 3rd world country

Bingo! Couldnt agree more! You dont chose your nationality at birth , so being proud of it is strange.

I am just Happy to be English, couldnt really say Im proud.

Â