6 Nations (Poll added. Who will win the big game?)

chrissmith921

Pick one  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Pick one

• Ireland to win the match and take the Grand Slam
    • Wales win by less than 13pts. Ireland take the title.
    • Wales win by 13 or more and win the title

Great though? England circa 2000-2003 were great. You can't tell me this Welsh side are anywhere near that level....

Honestly? I think this Welsh side (read the Slam Winners of last year) are very near that level and they'd give them one hell of a game. It's one of those classic sporting arguments tho innit. Impossible to win for either of us :)

We'll just have to agree to disagree I think. Like you say, it's nothing wither of us can prove. I'll stick to thinking Johnson and co would have ate the Welsh forwards for breakie and Wilko would have kicked them to death while Robinson danced his merry dance. I don't think you'll find many non Welshies disagreeing with me either :winkold:

England 2000-2003 > Wales 2008-Present

Then again, thats just an opinion and of course we will never know but as DDID says, the front pack and the backs were just so strong and Wilkinson's kicking at the time was awesome.

I find it funny when England are poor it is not a great tournament. Ireland and Wales are both better than England at this time, it is easy to say oh if England sort their discipline out they could have won, no they would not have won, they get yellow cards for slowing the ball down, if they stopped doing this the pace of the game would increase and they would not be able to cope with it. England are still trying to play a set piece game which they no longer have the personnel to play it. England never looked like beating Wales or Ireland. Yes they beat France but that is the French for you one week great the next awful. The Ireland v Wales game will be close both are good sides, Ireland play ugly and Wales try to play a more beautiful style. I am going to the game and will be cheering Ireland.

Oh and by the way I think I said Ireland would win it at the start!

I find it funny when England are poor it is not a great tournament. Ireland and Wales are both better than England at this time

I wouldn't disagree. However, the quality of the teams in this competition is poor, IMO, in comparison to the golden years (mid 90's to mid 00's). Even last year was better all round.

Some cracking games mind.

Well saying how 6 of the best 10 nations in the world are nothing special, leaves NZ, SA, Australia and Argentina as potentially 'special' sides.

Argentina had a good world cup but really aren't overly special. A bit like England, their set piece based game will see them fall a bit over the coming years until they change the whole ethos of their game from the bottom up.

That leaves the 3 'big' nations. Australia were pissed on in Cardiff, provided nothing more than anything seen in the 6 nations this year and have absolutely nothing up front to worry any major international side. To suggest they're special, is odd imo.

That leaves SA (world champions) and NZ (world #1?)

Out of those 2 - SA are definately beatable, should have been beaten by both Wales and Scotland during the recent Autumn internationals imo - NZ are virtually untouchable. So is there only one really 'special' side in the world at the moment? Is the standard that bad? I disagree to be honest.

Well, looking at Englands performance against France, I wager a replay between England and Wales would be a totally different result..

England being runners up in the last world cup, were did Wales finish?

Wales are OK, but not as good as you make out, all teams are beatable, and England especially are going through a period of rebuilding.. stronger and stronger every match.

Oh and by the big 3 nations you mean NZ, SA and England?

Nope didn't say that Gringo, there is a long way to go, a long way, and I do think if England had played with the discipline the had against france they would have beat the taffies, no doubt and the Irish...

It'll come, it's a time for rebuilding. And I don't see anyone calling "Ingerland" World Beaters, whoever "Ingerland" are, isn't that a football team?

No doubt? England played the way they did to stop Wales from playing - if you'd not tried killing the ball all the time you'd have been ripped open.

Ireland - you should have won that game anyway, that was stupid indiscipline (eg the 9 shoving the Irish boy)

But you wouldnt have won in Cardiff - you werent good enough with the side you put out there - it would never have beaten what we had. Weak up front and no creativity behind. If you'd named the side you did against France, and played to that level, then yes, it would have been a better game. But we had gears we could have gone up in as well - so 'no doubt' is way off the mark.

Wales work well as a unit but IMO there are no stand out 'stars' in their team - the coach has done a tremendous job with average players but they've been nothing special during this tournament (pretty much like every other team, including Ireland)

As for England, we've gelled two games too late for this tournament, that and a severe bout of indiscipline (matched with poor officiating) in the previous matches has cost us the tournament.

England could still end up as runners-up in this tournament, on the back of indifferent performances - what does that say about the rest of the 'competition'???

Wales work well as a unit but IMO there are no stand out 'stars' in their team - the coach has done a tremendous job with average players but they've been nothing special during this tournament (pretty much like every other team, including Ireland)

As for England, we've gelled two games too late for this tournament, that and a severe bout of indiscipline (matched with poor officiating) in the previous matches has cost us the tournament.

England could still end up as runners-up in this tournament, on the back of indifferent performances - what does that say about the rest of the 'competition'???

No stand out stars? Shane Williams?? Best player in the world.

No stand out stars? Shane Williams?? Best player in the world.

Totally do not agree with that - Shane Williams, best 'player' in the world.... :crylaugh:

The best player in the world is Richie McCaw, of that there is no doubt, and I am no fan of the AB's or Canterbury, Wales are a little over average, and the minute they face a slightly inform team they crumble.

Now I'm not saying England are better, no in the slightest, but they will be, England are re-grouping and learning all the time, to demolish France like that means the talent is there, it's just bringing the discipline and teamwork together.

I'm still wondering who this Ingerland rugby team are?

Â