World of Warcraft

The_Rev

You want to get a laptop with a discrete graphics card.  A lot of laptops will have what is known as integrated graphics, which is where the GPU (graphics processing unit) is part of the motherboard.  A discrete graphics card is a separate bit of hardware whose only job is to worry about the graphics. It's more powerful, and better for gaming.   World of Warcraft is so popular because it runs on laptops. Yes, you can crank the settings all the way up to ultra and play at an insane resolution if you have an all singing all dancing gaming rig but it looks just fine on medium settings at 720p too. 

Something like this will do the trick.  It's £550, but PC world are doing £100 cashback so you can get it for £450.  Is that in your budget or are you drawing a hard line at £400?  

Yep, I still laugh to myself when I see the first page of the thread and me saying 'Looks like that's a little bit more of my social life gone for a few months.' And i'm still playing it now eight years later (although i have had quite a few breaks down the years).

Still the best MMO ever though, and that's from someone who has tried 99% of the others.

Probably not, but then you don't really buy a laptop for AAA gaming.   The good thing is that there is an absolute shitload of amazing indie stuff on PC that you aren't really exposed to if you only play on an Xbox. 

You actually need a pretty decent system to run Mists of Pandaria, they revamped the graphic engine a fair bit. My old comp; Nvidia Geforce 450GTS, 4gb RAM, Intel Core 2 Quad. (about a 5 year old comp) could run zone questing reasonably well but raiding was impossible, could barely get 10fps on the very lowest settings. Strangely, I could run Skyrim fine on it. Ran at 60fps on medium settings and looked great. 

It is insane. I started playing about 3 months before Burning Crusade, so would have been about October 2006. Had long breaks from the game, of course but still genuinely look forward to new expansions and patches. It's crazy to think of the amount of things that have happened in my life since then but the familiarity of Azeroth is still there, even after a cataclysm!

• Like 1

This review is the catalyst that started the VT WoW journey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEIwYKWShjM

I watched that, picked the game up and after playing for about a week, waxed lyrical to Nayson about how he needed to get it. He did and after a false start playing as shitty Alliance characters, we swapped to Horde Undead. Nayson discovered the magic, pulled Designer1 into the fold and this thread was born.

Edited by Sie

How many VTers did we have on at the height of us all playing, I reckon it was:

Nayson - Warlock

Designer1 - Warrior

Dan - Rouge

Tarj - Priest

Me - Shaman

Limpid - Mage(?)

Bicks - Hunter

Sie - Warlock

Samisdead - Priest

Juju - Mage(?)

Then my memory starts to get a bit vague...did Paddy play on the server for a bit.  With the above, lots of people rolled different alts, but they're the main ones I associate with everybody, especially from vanilla days.  Apologies if I've forgotten anybody else as well.  I seem to remember that Nays, Sie and Si were a few weeks and therefore levels ahead of us, then me, Dan, Tarj were the next on line, closely followed by Bicks.  I think once we'd all got to L40ish, we'd bunched up sufficiently to start doing stuff together, and then of course most of us ended up clearing out BWL, which was the highlight for me.  That and arena with Si, which was just stupidly good fun.  For a while our combination of a healing shaman with a thingy strike warrior was quite hard to beat.

Think Sie had a Rogue to begin with. His Lock came later iirc.

That and arena with Si, which was just stupidly good fun.  For a while our combination of a healing shaman with a thingy strike warrior was quite hard to beat.

Yep, that was great fun (think we had particular fun **** over Hunters) and because of a feature called Transmogging, Sion still wears that Arena Season 1 helm now (albeit with completely different stats).

Â