The Spanish Football/la Liga Thread

Troglodyte

There has been talk of Torres returning to Madrid as part of the deal, but from what I've heard, he would be reluctant to agree to such an offer.

The only reason Atletico would sell Falcao is to pay off the club debts (they have massive debts) so it makes no sense whatsoever to sell Falcao to get Torres in.

Even if Torres was available for cheaper than they paid (say £20m) they will still be making a loss because of his wages + transfer fee.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely know what you mean. Personally, I think that Falcao is better than Torres, and I can see this also being the view of the Chelsea hierarchy, which means I wouldn't be surprised if they sign him. However, I agree that Chelsea probably wouldn't benefit much - if at all - as Torres is still an excellent player and accustomed to playing in the Premier League and with the Chelsea squad. I do think Falcao would score a lot of goals in any league, and I reckon he'd adapt to the Premier League quite quickly, but this isn't really what Chelsea need.

• 4 weeks later...

Apparently the amount that they have contributed has been exaggerated/mistranslated (due to a recent report that mentioned Oviedo receiving money from their transfers some time ago), but they have been on board with helping Oviedo for some time, as have Michu and Adrián. All have bought shares, as have thousands of people worldwide. Sid Lowe, an excellent football writer who covers Spanish football for the Guardian, has been backing the campaign - he studied in Oviedo and has been a fan since then.

I'm considering buying a share. It'd be great to feel a real part of what Oviedo are attempting to do.

I'm a little skint at the moment (until payday next week anyway) so would probably only be able to get the one - they're only available until midnight tonight. I'd consider trying to get across to matches etc but I'm just not sure how realistic it all is. If I could afford to buy a few more shares at the moment then I'd probably be more inclined to go for it, but I just can't do it at the moment.

Messi up to 78 goals (from 60 games) in the calendar year now btw. Gerd Muller managed 85 from 60 in 1972. Messi is still on for the record, though it will have taken him more games.

Â