The Spanish Football/la Liga Thread

Troglodyte

That's correct. I guess that some part of it is the fact that Villa haven't took place in a title race for ages, not to mention actually winning it. If we were constant title contenders, the match with Brum was an interesting one, but not as important as a match with Man Utd, for instance.

Let's hope that we're on our way - while we'll become one of top 3 teams in England, Brum will see Reading clinching 2nd and letting them enjoy yet another season of 2nd division football... :)

I haven't read all this thread, but thought i'd spot something on here or on it's own topic regarding that documentary about Barca the other day. Anybody watch it? It was interesting seeing the behind the scenes. That club truly is huge, as is/was it's debt!

Remember that the area of Barcelona is pushing hard to become it's own country.. for some Barca fans I know they treat Barcelona's games as bitter rival internationals against Spain.

Barcelona is probably the most passionately supported team in the world, because it transcends football and goes into the realms of politics and even civil war.

Remember that the area of Barcelona is pushing hard to become it's own country.. for some Barca fans I know they treat Barcelona's games as bitter rival internationals against Spain.

Barcelona is probably the most passionately supported team in the world, because it transcends football and goes into the realms of politics and even civil war.

Well, I think that Barcelona might be the 2nd and not the 1st. Athletic Bilbao is probably #1. First, they are Basque and the differences between the Basques and the "ordinary Spain" is much greater than Cataluna. Second, Athletic Bilbao have a policy - they field only Basque players. Not only they have no Catalan or Castillan (I must have misspelled that) players, you will not find "regular" foreign players in their squad, not matter if they're African, European or from Out of Space.

If I recall correctly, after a couple of difficult years, the management conducted a poll, asking the supporters what do they prefer, and the results said that they rather play on the 4th division than field non-Basque players... Amazing.

And more astonishing is the fact that despite this policy - they have never suffered relegation.

He's not bad, that Henry dude...

You'd think someone would have noticed him before ;)

Forlan's goal was an absolute bullet as well!

True. I will never understand how can Forlan score such screamers and then miss free header from 2 yards.

Indeed it is, but the differences between Real and Barcelona are not so much Catalan-Castilian, as the origins go back to the Generalissimo Franko's era, where Real was his team (and got huge advantage for it) while Barcelona represented the "free people" (pardon my overstatement...). That is why their rivalry is more fierce than Real-Bilbao one.

Still, surprisingly enough, the hottest game in Spain in recent years is the derby of Seville between Sivilia and Betis. I remember at least two occasions when it was abandoned. I even think a ref was knocked consciousness once...

No political differences, not ethical differences. Just pure hate.

Totally true I have visited Catalonia a number of times and they are all for independence. They hate the Spanish government and refuse to vote in elections.

I hope they will never get their independence

Spoken like a true Israeli! ;)

Hey, someone has to take responsibility for all the mayhem! I've ran into too many people with free will and this has got to stop! :idea:

That's why I support Getafe - we start small but eventually we'll conquer the world!!!! ehhmm... the Spanish League!!!!!

Spain the next Yugoslavia? Hmmmm...

Anyway - this is becoming too political for my liking ;)

Who'd have expected Juande Ramos to actually do a good job at Real Madrid? I laughed when I heard he'd got that job and considered putting a bet on RM to finish in the bottom half - shows what I know eh?

Â